Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 18,181 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am going to be moving to the South Bay shortly, and need some help in choosing a place to live. I've heard the Bay Area (especially the South Bay) is heavily dominated by males due to the large number of IT/Engineering/tech type jobs in the area.

I have heard people refer to some cities as "Man Jose" "Man View" etc. I dont wan't to live in an area that is heavily all, or mostly male.

For the singles scene (in terms of living in an area with single females in the 24-30 range) would you recommened living in Palo Alto OR Mountain View.. or is there no discernable difference?

The factors I care most about in decided between Palo Alto vs Mtn View:
1) Distance to San Francisco
2) Proximity to gyms/stores (24hr fitness, Best Buy, etc)
3) Amount of single ladies in the 24-30 range
4) Decent night life
5) Quality of life (decent neighborhoods, professionals as neighbors, not hoodlums, etc)

Please provide your inputs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 09:44 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,916 times
Not unlike Manhattan, most guys in SV work nonstop for ~first 10yrs post-college to build career and make some bucks, so nightlife is fairly irrelevant

PA has more of the engineering crowd and recent Stanford alum chicks who work in marketing in various SV cos.; often shrewd from a career standpoint to reside near where many co-founders and top engineers of major SV cos. reside: PA and its adjacent suburbs are the mecca, not SJ or SF

SF is more of a financier crowd that works in SV and to some extent SF...and marketing chicks who work at the jeans cos. in SF or in ad sales in SV

SJ (or MtnView or Cupertino, etc) is a few office parks w/major cos. and some start-ups; does anyone who matters actually live there?

But either engineers or financiers tend to spend their wkends in LA, not SF, after they've built their career and start pursuing hobbies...so not sure what's relevance of SF itself (esp if one works at a SV co. w/a cafe w/good dinner grub)

Old 09-01-2009, 10:31 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,838,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
SJ (or MtnView or Cupertino, etc) is a few office parks w/major cos. and some start-ups; does anyone who matters actually live there?
Good Lord, this isn't L.A., please don't confuse it for such. Didn't this kind of talk die with the 80's?

Old 09-02-2009, 09:35 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
I feel like such a nobody!

Old 09-02-2009, 10:20 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,624 times
hsw has got to be some kind of parody, but I haven't worked out yet exactly what it's parodying.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:38 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSoze View Post
The factors I care most about in decided between Palo Alto vs Mtn View:
1) Distance to San Francisco
2) Proximity to gyms/stores (24hr fitness, Best Buy, etc)
3) Amount of single ladies in the 24-30 range
4) Decent night life
5) Quality of life (decent neighborhoods, professionals as neighbors, not hoodlums, etc)

Please provide your inputs.
1. Even
2. Palo Alto (mostly on East Palo Alto side)
3. Mountain View but it's close
4. Palo Alto but it's close
5. Even

Old 09-02-2009, 01:25 PM

170 posts, read 463,016 times
I'm confused by your thread title vs. your post--I hope you know that MV is not SJ??
I agree with sonnarat except on #2; there's a 24 hour Fitness in Mountain View, and Best Buy etc. as well. Although some might argue that Fry's in Palo Alto is a better store .
You didn't mention $$. The cost to rent in either place will be high, but I think PA will be higher because of Stanford U.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:03 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,932 times
The number of available women in a given area seems like a poor factor in choosing a new home. Just because there's more of them there, does not mean the right one is.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 18,181 times
Thank you guys for the input. TreeDonkey, the cost is not really a factor, and I'm not looking for "The Right One" at this time.

Sonarrat, thank you so much, your post was the most helpful. It almost sounds like Palo Alto and Mountain View are tied, but I did some googling, and there is no 24hr fitness and no Mixed Martial Arts gyms in Palo Alto...

So if the night life is close, the quality of life even, Mountain View it is!

Old 09-02-2009, 03:23 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
hsw has got to be some kind of parody
Or a wanna-be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose