Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 04:01 PM

10 posts, read 26,225 times

Advertisements

I would like some help in relocating to the Santa Cruz area. I grew up going to Santa Cruz and just love it.. I plan on moving there as soon as employment is established.. I am having a hard time with response because I live about 164 miles away. Most jobs and or contacts I make only want to hire people already living there. Is this normal? I thought you could get a job and then relocate.. Am I wrong? I read othe posts and know that some people relocate from other states.. Some advice on getting employers to respond would be great. I realize that maybe it's because of the economy right now.. thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 03:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,687 times
I guess the willingness to hire even before relocation might depend greatly on the line of work.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:36 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,998,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittie7 View Post
I would like some help in relocating to the Santa Cruz area. I grew up going to Santa Cruz and just love it.. I plan on moving there as soon as employment is established.. I am having a hard time with response because I live about 164 miles away. Most jobs and or contacts I make only want to hire people already living there. Is this normal? I thought you could get a job and then relocate.. Am I wrong? I read othe posts and know that some people relocate from other states.. Some advice on getting employers to respond would be great. I realize that maybe it's because of the economy right now.. thanks for your help.
I think it really depends on the type of position you are looking for. Employers can afford to be super picky. That has always been true of the Santa Cruz area in general as it does not have that many high paying jobs and many residents work over the hill in Silicon Valley.

In general, I think it is the high demand jobs that are willing to hire people from out of the area. But of course, positions in high demand are the exception, not the rule.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the advice.. I'll keep trying....

Old 05-26-2009, 10:28 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,854,605 times
They probably are skeptical of prospects who say they're ready to relocate, then do an about-face when they actually find out how difficult that may be, given the size of the town, the cost, and home availability.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
They probably are skeptical of prospects who say they're ready to relocate, then do an about-face when they actually find out how difficult that may be, given the size of the town, the cost, and home availability.

I am a native californian and am well aware of the cost of living. I have NO intention of doing an "about face" when I get a job in Santa Cruz. That is where I want to be....

Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,719,995 times
I work in Seaside and we have ppl driving in from SC work on the base at Ft Ord. I was recruited from out of state myself - CO. Although I am a native of CA. It really does depend on what you are looking for. Our engineering group is looking for ppl who are a 'right fit.' And we look at the whole state of CA. We just offered a guy form Pasadena a job. He drove up with his wife a day early to check out the area before the interview. They like Monterey and he had the skills we were looking for.

But as other have said employers can be more picky in the current economy. So it really depends on the job. If it is a job with 'many' local applicants applying for it, then yeah they will probably go local first.

You might need to expand your job search a bit to the Monterey area and possibly (cough, cough) SJ. But I hate the 17 hwy. I know some folks in SC do it though.

Derek

Old 05-29-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I work in Seaside and we have ppl driving in from SC work on the base at Ft Ord. I was recruited from out of state myself - CO. Although I am a native of CA. It really does depend on what you are looking for. Our engineering group is looking for ppl who are a 'right fit.' And we look at the whole state of CA. We just offered a guy form Pasadena a job. He drove up with his wife a day early to check out the area before the interview. They like Monterey and he had the skills we were looking for.

But as other have said employers can be more picky in the current economy. So it really depends on the job. If it is a job with 'many' local applicants applying for it, then yeah they will probably go local first.

You might need to expand your job search a bit to the Monterey area and possibly (cough, cough) SJ. But I hate the 17 hwy. I know some folks in SC do it though.

Derek
Thanks MtnSurfer! I know I didn't mention it in my post, but I have actually expanded my search to San Jose(and surrounding areas) as well as Santa Cruz (and Surrounding areas). I' ve been looking for about a year now. I already have a place to live in San Jose with a friend(temporarily), if I should get a job there.. I have friends networking for me in San Jose as well. However,I understand that employers can be real picky in this economy, but I won't give up. I have faith that the economy will pick up and I will eventually be where I want to be. It just may take longer that I would like. Thanks to all for your advice. I do appreciate it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose