Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,460 times

Advertisements

I live in the shadow of the new downtown. I thought it was supposed to have the feel of a European promenade yet all I see are tall cement box structures, 5 redwood trees gasping for survival and a parking structure of great preeminence.
When they say "green" this must be a euphism because i don't see
any flora or fauna.

Maybe if there is a club with mad whirling dancers it will make up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 11:21 AM

60 posts, read 435,751 times
I believe the downtown is nowhere near finished yet. Here is a picture of what it is supposed to look like when it is done:

City of Sunnyvale

Here is a blog posting on the topic: » Downtown Sunnyvale Revitalization Gets Desperately Needed Kickstart-Silicon Valley Real Estate Blog, Bay Area: 1SiliconValley.com

I think it is very promising, and will add a lot of value to the city when it is finished. I love the tiny downtown that is there already, with great restaurants and a super farmer's market. It will just take time for them to develop the whole thing - it is a work in progress.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:42 PM

112 posts, read 130,998 times
Default The Skeleton

Now it's almost 7 years later and downtown Sunnyvale looks quite good as it is - except for that "Skeleton" between Macy's and Target, which hasn't changed much since this posting was made.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:01 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanku View Post
Now it's almost 7 years later and downtown Sunnyvale looks quite good as it is - except for that "Skeleton" between Macy's and Target, which hasn't changed much since this posting was made.
Are the apartments adjacent to Target in litigation or something, they looked finished 2 years ago, but yet no one ever seemingly moved in, I'm sure with the job market today they would be filled up in 3 months and people would still pay over $2500/mo, so there must be something going on.

As for the skeleton next to Macy's, that must be under litigation if no one is doing anything to that lot. The apartments that replaced the Town and Country though look nice, and being next to a baby bullet stop doesn't hurt.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:22 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times
There's this from the official page:

Quote:
Contrary to prevailing thought, the redevelopment of the old Town Center Mall is not a City-owned project. Most of the property that was once the Town Center Mall is now owned by Wells Fargo Bank, with the exception of Macy’s and Target which are individually owned by those companies. Because the City does not own the property, it has little say in how or when development will occur.
Quote:
Wells Fargo is not in the business of developing shopping centers. The only reason it owns the property is because it was the major lender to the previous owners of the Town Center Mall (RREEF and Sand Hill Properties/Peter Pau). When the previous owners defaulted on a loan from Wells Fargo, the bank took possession of the property
Quote:
Sand Hill Properties believes it is legally entitled to play a continuing role in the development of the property, and has filed several lawsuits against Wells Fargo and RREEF in an effort to reclaim some control over the project. This litigation has been unsuccessful to date, but has resulted in stalling the project for years, and tying the hands of Wells Fargo Bank with regard to future progress.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:07 PM

112 posts, read 130,998 times
Thanks, that was very helpful! Regarding what's going on the Superbowl will take place in neighboring Santa Clara next year, I'm sure those apartments will be filled up soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose