Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 10:51 PM

258 posts, read 1,505,170 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at living in Santa Cruz because I like the idea of a smaller town. Plus I've heard its great for outdoor activities that include surfing and biking. But with small towns come lack of jobs. Can any local people fill me on on whether there are good paying jobs in Santa Cruz or will you have to go to San Jose or SF? Are there any good sites to check for jobs besides the well known ones like cl? Also how long does it usually take to commute to San Jose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
Hi again.

I don't know what kind of job you are looking for, but a good way in Santa Cruz to get your foot in the door is to work in Santa Cruz County. Here is the link to their website and you can check out Personnel for available jobs. They change about every two weeks for job listings, and there are usually always an opening for something. Many people start off in lower positions and then quickly make their way up the ranks. I suggest starting with the County because it is good pay, a good union, and there are many advancement opportunities.

Current Employment Opportunities This site for the actual job listings.

Santa Cruz County Government The main website.

Good luck!

Old 02-13-2008, 12:18 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
The commute to San Jose on 17 (which is a winding mountain road) can take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour plus. Add another 45 minutes on 85 & 280 to get to San Francisco.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:06 PM

170 posts, read 983,166 times
What about carpentry/construction in Santa Cruz?

Old 02-19-2008, 03:25 PM

14 posts, read 92,969 times
I lived in santa cruz for 1 year. Dont know what type of job you're looking for... but remember that its all happi-town and retired. Of course there are regular things like hospitals, safeways. malls... surf shops.. car dealers restarauts, book stores. texas instruments I think, but apart from that there is not much. You can happily work/live in SJ area and drive to santa cruz on weekends, its only like 20-25 miles away from most of SJ parts.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,146 times
Simple Answer: No.

Most of the jobs are low-wage, and won't get you anywhere. There are very limited jobs here for career-minded people. If you are in the health field, there seems to be a growing number of jobs. However, Santa Cruz jobs do not pay well. A job at the county for example, seems like a great job, and it probably is for Santa Cruz. But if you work over the hill for the county, you will make tons more in the same type of position. The commute over the hill is not as bad as it used to be. Traffic seems to have eased up over the years. It's just the bad weather days that make it stressful. I wouldn't be able to live here in SC though if I didn't have a job over the hill.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,479 times
A lot of people who live in Santa Cruz work at the University of Santa Cruz. There are some crazy politics on campus, but the benefits are good. My experience wasn't bad. There are other nonprofits as well (including a fairly large Goodwill, an ACLU office, and a bunch of local organizations). Nonprofits don't pay well, but you will probably get lots of time off to enjoy the parks and ocean. Another option around town is something tech related. Lots of people work at home on their computers. You'll also find a lot of writers, artists, and monks around town. (Yes, that's right, monks.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose