Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 03:51 PM

402 posts, read 538,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMCR View Post
Dogandcat you mentioned the cambrian area, that has come up before. Any particular part or is it all nice?
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.
All Cambrian area is nice and has good schools. As for me, I prefer the part closer to Los Gatos and Almaden -- that's South West of the Cambrian. It is not cheap, but it is still in your price range (under $4000). Eastern part of Cambrian (closer to 87 highway) is probably a little bit cheaper compare to South Western part.

A little bit simpler and more "down to the Earth" version of Cambrian is Blossom Valley (in particular, Santa Teresa foothills that is under 85 highway) where I live. Reading your last comment, I think that it could be really good choice for you. You WILL get a detached house with a backyard here for $3500. Of course, it will be not a new one, but normal renting house, and in good school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 12:03 AM

865 posts, read 1,827,337 times
I would look at greatschools.net and crimereports.com and check out what areas you are targeting then see what is available on craigslist.

To Blossom Valley, Santa Teresa, Almaden (maybe a little intense school-wise?), Cambrian Park, I would add Campbell (though carefully check the schools as there is a strange phenomena here where the school districts have NOTHING to do with which city you are in!). Also parts of West San Jose between Campbell and Cupertino.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:52 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,741,818 times
Quote:
Wow, thank you so much for all the advise. I will do some research on the areas you have mentioned. We're relocating from Europe and I've never been over to California before so it's all new and trying to get the feel for where to live through blogs etc online is hard.
Were a very down to earth family, no bells n whistles, not into the bling. We did look at a cheap place in Los Gatos but we've been advised against by colleagues as they say the kids in the schools are very wealthy, materialistic etc and were not too keen on this environment for the kids to grow up in. Any advise on good areas that are on the edges of the trees and parks and down to earth? Dogandcat you mentioned the cambrian area, that has come up before. Any particular part or is it all nice?

You're moving to a very driven / ambitions area in the U.S. with a lot of wealth! And chances are, if you live in nice area, your kids will be going to school with wealthy and materialistic kids. If you live in a not so nice area your kids will be going to school with less wealthy kids who are materialistic. It's just the way of things generally speaking.

You're probably going to experience some culture shock. California is wonderful. But you need to be both open and grounded.

I think that one of the best ways to stay sane and grounded in the Silicon Valley area (which is highly impacted and frenetic and not so "down to earth" and is more like endless suburbia with bad air quality) is to find a home that is immersed in (or at least very close to) the natural world.
If Scotts Valley is too difficult a commute for your husband you might want to explore areas in the Santa Cruz / Los Gatos mountains that are closer to his work place.

It would be great if you can find a trustworthy property manager who will be able to give you very good advice that help you to find a home that will suit your most important needs. I imagine your husbands employer (i'm assuming he'll be working in the tech world?) has services to help families like yours relocate.

I still think that, if (and i know it's a big "if") your husband can deal with the commute from Scotts Valley, it's a good choice. No matter where you live in the area, you'll be dealing with heavy commuter traffic. HWY 17 is a roller coaster of a road (it's not however narrow and bumpy ... it's a two lane road that is well maintained with dividers where necessary) but if one is careful, it's not that bad. There will be times though when he'll be in bumper to bumper traffic but that's not just on 17. The area is extremely populated with many, many commuters going in every direction.

If you live in Scotts Valley you will be able to live in a quite beautiful and magical part of California. And you'll be close enough to the various beaches in Santa Cruz county that going there on a regular basis will be easy. There are miles and miles of hiking trails all over S.C. county, and the air is much cleaner than on the eastern side of the S.C. mountains and the county may have values that are more resonate with yours. And if you can find a home in Scotts Valley that feels like a sanctuary the commute your husband will have to make may be well worth it. It just depends on what you value most.

Move2SiliconValley.com | Relocation Resource for Silicon Valley, "The Valley of Heart's Delight"Move2SiliconValley.com | Relocation Resource for Silicon Valley, "The Valley of Heart's Delight"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Cruz_Mountains

Last edited by blueskywalker; 10-06-2015 at 01:00 PM..

Old 10-07-2015, 12:34 PM

5 posts, read 5,763 times
I drive from Santa Cruz (just the next exit away from Scotts Valley) to San Jose almost every day for work and have done so for about 12 years. The past 2 years, there has been a huge increase in traffic, adding a good 20-40 minutes each way. The dreaded highway 17 can be bad, but if there's not an accident blocking 17, the real torture of the drive comes on either 101 or 280. I use my map app regularly and vary my commute depending on the traffic each day, but there is always at least one leg a week that takes 2 hours instead of one hour. Having said that, I am glad to be living in Santa Cruz! Just in case the OP is not aware, there have been significant rent increases in all of the Bay Area over the last year or so, and Scotts Valley/Santa Cruz are following suit, so the $3500-$4000/month target is likely to involve compromises of some sort.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:45 PM

6 posts, read 27,385 times
I'm so relieved to hear the the commute is possible and that it could actually be worth it too. I have a ray of hope again.....Thanks tara831, and blueskywalker thanks for the blog link....lots of reading to be done.
I appreciate hearing that it could be a horrid commute too, all view points are being listened to and appreciated.
The trees are such a big draw for us and we currently live beside the water so being close to the ocean would be amazing if at all possible. Even a glimpse everyday.
Does anyone have any experience with the schools around Scotts Valley or Loma Prieta?
We are also looking at Union School district but the draw is just not there for 'endless suburbia' (as you put it blueskywalker), and I'm afraid we wouldn't settle there as easily.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:51 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,741,818 times
Quote:
I'm so relieved to hear the the commute is possible and that it could actually be worth it too. I have a ray of hope again.....Thanks tara831, and blueskywalker thanks for the blog link....lots of reading to be done.
I appreciate hearing that it could be a horrid commute too, all view points are being listened to and appreciated.
The trees are such a big draw for us and we currently live beside the water so being close to the ocean would be amazing if at all possible. Even a glimpse everyday.
Does anyone have any experience with the schools around Scotts Valley or Loma Prieta?
We are also looking at Union School district but the draw is just not there for 'endless suburbia' (as you put it blueskywalker), and I'm afraid we wouldn't settle there as easily.
It is certainly possible. It just means that your husband will be spending more time than he'd like in his car. It's not "horrid" if he has patience. During non commuter times the drive is so easy. That's why in my first post i asked whether or not he'll have some flexibility in his work schedule.

The reason that the commuter traffic is so intense in Santa Cruz county is because so, so many people find living here worth the long drive to various points in Silicon Valley. And if you live in Scotts Valley, some of the worst of that Santa Cruz county traffic will not be an issue because of where you'll be located.

I don't have kids so i don't know what the schools are like in Scotts Valley. But you'll be living in a progressive and relatively wealthy county so i imagine that they're fairly good at least. I know that some towns have better schools than others here. I bet Scotts Valley schools are some of the better ones but i'm just guessing.

No one knows but you and your own family what's best but i think that if you could be here and see Santa Cruz county for yourself you'd have more than a "ray of hope". The Monterey Bay (Santa Cruz county is on the "top" of the bay) is a very special area with lots of beauty and magic and powerful nature. Santa Cruz county is also a very open and tolerant area and there are lots of art / artists, writers, music, wineries, kids activities, strong surfing culture, etc..

So even if (and i don't know) the schools in certain Silicon Valley communities are better, i'd much rather raise my kids here if i had them. It will probably be more fun and interesting for you too. There are many young families in this county and strong community's throughout the area. More of a sense of place in my opinion than in those sprawling Silicon Valley suburbs.

Good luck. May the force be with you.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:05 PM

423 posts, read 609,812 times
Quote:
Wow, thank you so much for all the advise. I will do some research on the areas you have mentioned. We're relocating from Europe and I've never been over to California before so it's all new and trying to get the feel for where to live through blogs etc online is hard.
Were a very down to earth family, no bells n whistles, not into the bling. We did look at a cheap place in Los Gatos but we've been advised against by colleagues as they say the kids in the schools are very wealthy, materialistic etc and were not too keen on this environment for the kids to grow up in. Any advise on good areas that are on the edges of the trees and parks and down to earth? Dogandcat you mentioned the cambrian area, that has come up before. Any particular part or is it all nice?
Just beware who is giving you the advice. I know people always label certain cities or neighborhoods as rich and snob-ish. But I think that is because they don't live there.

For most of Bay Area, there are plenty of millionaires. Many (maybe most) are in SW or Tech. Wealth is locked up in real estate. So people don't live or act like "millionaires". Although I never lived in Los Gatos, I doubt those statements are true.

I currently live in a city in peninsula that is suppose to be 10 most snobbish city in America. I find my neighbors much more friendly, down to earth than other places I have live. Neighbors talk all the time; there is a community feel. It might have to do with who I associate with.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:52 PM

173 posts, read 255,109 times
If he's working in Cupertino, you're honestly better off looking at Boulder Creek. It's mountain living, but absolutely beautiful and IMO (of course I'm biased) a much better place to live than the vast majority of the bay area.

Commuting to Cupertino is 45 minutes, as there's a shortcut off Highway 9.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:18 PM

115 posts, read 337,113 times
Quote:
The endless suburbia is also why I initially raised concerns against Cambrian and South San Jose. Maybe you should look into Campbell and Willow Glen which is much less suburban. Especially Campbell has a very nice downtown.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with moving to Scotts Valley to commute to Cupertino, I'd just recommend to look into some of the closer communities first, especially since this is your first time living in California. I'm originally from Germany and had some similar concerns as you.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:03 PM

402 posts, read 538,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrb View Post
The endless suburbia is also why I initially raised concerns against Cambrian and South San Jose. Maybe you should look into Campbell and Willow Glen which is much less suburban. Especially Campbell has a very nice downtown.
Yes but they are more expensive, and traffic from Willow Glen to Cupertino is not the best option to choose among others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose