Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 11:16 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,937 times

Advertisements

94560. This area is closest to the West Bay possible. But is it safe? I looked at the crime rate here and am shocked to find it comparable to EPA. Is it true? Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed Thanks.

Last edited by Yac; 03-11-2014 at 08:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 11:53 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Well, you came to the right place.

I've lived in Newark for a little over five years in the Lake Area/Rosemont. The bad: Newark has LOTS of transients for a city of its size and many of them are tweekers or alcoholics. There are numerous homeless encampments near hwy. 84 and Newark Blvd. Honestly, I was somewhat surprised when I moved here at how many "shady" people there are throughout town. I've had a couple of encounters with my toddler son while we've been at different neighborhood parks that left me feeling a bit uneasy. I've found that when I take him to parks that appear to be in quiet residential areas I've had to be aware of my surroundings. Most recently, I saw kids that were obviously looking to break into cars on a street next to the park we were at. I confronted them and the situation got heated really quickly. Out of fear for my son's safety, I left as quickly as I could. I've finally found a nice neighborhood park to take my son to, but even my wife said that last time she was there some sketchy looking guy kept riding his bike around the playground watching them. She was by herself with our son and got nervous and left.

I lived in what's considered to be Newark's "upscale" part of town. I really like the Lake Area a lot, but we have had our share of home burglaries in the area since we've lived here. I've got great neighbors on my block though and we all watch out for each other and are very aware of what's going on in our neighborhood. There's tremendous neighborhood pride where I live and people keep their houses up very well. The Lake Area and Rosemont, which border each other, are definitely by far the most asthetically pleasing parts of Newark.

I've found that Newark does do a good job maintaining its streets and other public areas and graffiti seems to get cleaned up very quickly. I find there's far less graffiti in Newark compared to Fremont, although I'd consider Fremont to be a much safer city overall.

Basically, I'm happy in the neighborhood where I live, but I probably wouldn't consider living in other parts of Newark. I've been surprised at the level of crime throughout town, based on the city's size. That's not to say I feel unsafe, but as I mentioned previously, there just seem to be a ton of "sketchy/shady" people all over the place. There really is just a weird overall vibe in some parts of town and I tend to be much more aware of my surroundings living here. To put it in perspective, I used to live in a transitional area of San Jose that was kind of the border of the hood and a nice part of town. I used to walk my dog late at night all the time and never felt nervous. In my current "nice" neighborhood, I tend to find myself watching my back a lot more. I grew up in a neighborhood in Milpitas that is downright dumpy-looking compared to my current neighborhood and I also have never felt unsafe there.

Here are just some key points to sort of sum up some of my experiences living in Newark:

-I've seen numerous fights occur in the Home Depot parking lot.

-I see tweekers hanging out in the front of Home Depot almost every time I go there.

-Cigarette World, in the Safeway shopping center on Jarvis Ave., always has shady people hanging outside the front door who are clearly up to no good.

-The completely out of place looking mcmansions at the intersection of Jarvis Ave. and Lake Blvd. have a homeless encampment full of meth-heads who've been kicked out many times and keep coming back. The homeowners who paid a lot of money for these houses have to smell meth pipes in their backyard.

-The police dept. is understaffed but from my experience is actually quite responsive. According to our Newark PD neighborhood watch liaison, the average weekday shift is only about four officers patrolling the entire city!

-I see sketchy looking people on an almost daily basis throughout town.

-Neighborhood parks that are in what appear to be quiet and safe neighborhoods tend to attract unsavory characters.

-The EZ8 motel and Motel 6 behind BJ's Brewhouse are havens of prostitution and drug selling/using.

-Newark's location means that apart from its own criminal residents, it's also an easily accessible town for criminals from East Palo Alto and even Oakland.

I'm not intending to scare you away, but these have just been my experiences. I live in a great neighborhood with great neighbors. Honestly, the Lake Area and Rosemont feel like an oasis to many other parts of town. I'm very happy in my particular neighborhood.

You may want to check out the Newark PD website crime map for recent crime activity. I also highly recommend checking out Nixle.com and set up an account to receive crime alerts. Newark and Fremont both use this service and will send you crime alerts by text and email.

Last edited by mstnghu2; 03-07-2014 at 01:00 PM..

Old 03-08-2014, 09:52 PM

243 posts, read 467,420 times
Quote:
comparable to EPA
Newark has lower violent crime rate and higher property crime rate, partially because of mall.

The westernmost part of the town is probably the worst (proximity to EPA).

Old 03-08-2014, 09:59 PM

243 posts, read 467,420 times
Quote:
I've found that Newark does do a good job maintaining its streets and other public areas and graffiti seems to get cleaned up very quickly. I find there's far less graffiti in Newark compared to Fremont, although I'd consider Fremont to be a much safer city overall.
This is because not removing graffiti in Newark will cause very quick deterioration of the place. Fremont is on different track and no amount of graffiti will make it less desirable place.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:35 PM

It is such a pity because the westernmost part is closer to most tech jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkhd2 View Post
Newark has lower violent crime rate and higher property crime rate, partially because of mall.

The westernmost part of the town is probably the worst (proximity to EPA).

Old 03-14-2014, 12:11 AM

Thanks a lot. I've decided to look at Fremont and only the Lake area in Newark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post

I've lived in Newark for a little over five years in the Lake Area/Rosemont. The bad: Newark has LOTS of transients for a city of its size and many of them are tweekers or alcoholics. There are numerous homeless encampments near hwy. 84 and Newark Blvd. Honestly, I was somewhat surprised when I moved here at how many "shady" people there are throughout town. I've had a couple of encounters with my toddler son while we've been at different neighborhood parks that left me feeling a bit uneasy. I've found that when I take him to parks that appear to be in quiet residential areas I've had to be aware of my surroundings. Most recently, I saw kids that were obviously looking to break into cars on a street next to the park we were at. I confronted them and the situation got heated really quickly. Out of fear for my son's safety, I left as quickly as I could. I've finally found a nice neighborhood park to take my son to, but even my wife said that last time she was there some sketchy looking guy kept riding his bike around the playground watching them. She was by herself with our son and got nervous and left.

I lived in what's considered to be Newark's "upscale" part of town. I really like the Lake Area a lot, but we have had our share of home burglaries in the area since we've lived here. I've got great neighbors on my block though and we all watch out for each other and are very aware of what's going on in our neighborhood. There's tremendous neighborhood pride where I live and people keep their houses up very well. The Lake Area and Rosemont, which border each other, are definitely by far the most asthetically pleasing parts of Newark.

Basically, I'm happy in the neighborhood where I live, but I probably wouldn't consider living in other parts of Newark. I've been surprised at the level of crime throughout town, based on the city's size. That's not to say I feel unsafe, but as I mentioned previously, there just seem to be a ton of "sketchy/shady" people all over the place. There really is just a weird overall vibe in some parts of town and I tend to be much more aware of my surroundings living here. To put it in perspective, I used to live in a transitional area of San Jose that was kind of the border of the hood and a nice part of town. I used to walk my dog late at night all the time and never felt nervous. In my current "nice" neighborhood, I tend to find myself watching my back a lot more. I grew up in a neighborhood in Milpitas that is downright dumpy-looking compared to my current neighborhood and I also have never felt unsafe there.

Here are just some key points to sort of sum up some of my experiences living in Newark:

-I see tweekers hanging out in the front of Home Depot almost every time I go there.

-Cigarette World, in the Safeway shopping center on Jarvis Ave., always has shady people hanging outside the front door who are clearly up to no good.

-The completely out of place looking mcmansions at the intersection of Jarvis Ave. and Lake Blvd. have a homeless encampment full of meth-heads who've been kicked out many times and keep coming back. The homeowners who paid a lot of money for these houses have to smell meth pipes in their backyard.

-The police dept. is understaffed but from my experience is actually quite responsive. According to our Newark PD neighborhood watch liaison, the average weekday shift is only about four officers patrolling the entire city!

-Neighborhood parks that are in what appear to be quiet and safe neighborhoods tend to attract unsavory characters.

-The EZ8 motel and Motel 6 behind BJ's Brewhouse are havens of prostitution and drug selling/using.

-Newark's location means that apart from its own criminal residents, it's also an easily accessible town for criminals from East Palo Alto and even Oakland.

I'm not intending to scare you away, but these have just been my experiences. I live in a great neighborhood with great neighbors. Honestly, the Lake Area and Rosemont feel like an oasis to many other parts of town. I'm very happy in my particular neighborhood.

You may want to check out the Newark PD website crime map for recent crime activity. I also highly recommend checking out Nixle.com and set up an account to receive crime alerts. Newark and Fremont both use this service and will send you crime alerts by text and email.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:36 AM

The James L. Bunker school area seems to have better elementary school than the Lake area, but is closer to the Mall. Is that area good? Thanks.

Quote:

Old 03-16-2014, 11:49 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
The James L. Bunker school area seems to have better elementary school than the Lake area, but is closer to the Mall. Is that area good? Thanks.
That area is fine. Overall it's safe and quiet. I wouldn't want to live on Smith Ave. itself, where the school is because that tends to be a cut-through street where people like to speed between Cherry St. and Cedar Blvd.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:15 AM

Thanks. That is very helpful.

Quote:
That area is fine. Overall it's safe and quiet. I wouldn't want to live on Smith Ave. itself, where the school is because that tends to be a cut-through street where people like to speed between Cherry St. and Cedar Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose