Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 02:30 AM

7 posts, read 8,893 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Silicon Valley area in the coming months, i was also considering Santa Cruz as well. I am 19, have on kids, and work from my laptop so commute is a non issue. If anyone has advice for a specific area that would be best suited to someone my age and has decent music and food, as well as a good amount of young people, i would be greatly appreciative!

Also my first post! i've used this forum for a long time on getting city info, so its great to be a part of it now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 08:35 AM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
What's your budget?

Old 02-08-2014, 03:23 PM

damn i thought i put that in there! I'm thinking i could swing 1000 a month on rent. I am also not opposed to living with room mates at the time being.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:22 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Santa Cruz is a small, laid back, hippy-ish kind of beach town. But it has a college so there's lots of young people. There's bars and nightlife and things to do, so it sort of depends on whether you would like the weather and if you want to live in a small town.

Silicon Valley is moderately urban, high population, lots of people from all the over the world, lots of people working in high tech companies. Of course there's also lots of young career people and plenty of nightlife venues.

So I guess it depends on whether you want to live near the ocean in a small town or if you want a bigger city with access to the Bay Area.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:47 PM

i've heard Santa Cruz is pretty dangerous. Does this hold true?

Old 02-08-2014, 10:29 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell90409 View Post
i've heard Santa Cruz is pretty dangerous. Does this hold true?
Only if you're wandering through the Flats late at night. Hippies and weirdos panhandling on Pacific Ave. might be annoying, but not terribly threatening.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:13 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I grew up in the Bay Area, and Santa Cruz has been my favorite town all of my life. My daughter grew up in WA state, and now lives in CA. She lived in Santa Cruz for several years and commuted to Sunnyvale, moved to Monterey, now lives in Oakland. She still goes to Santa Cruz to spend the weekend with friends at least twice a month, and her dream is to retire in Santa Cruz.

So, dangerous? Nah. It's a granola type town with fun places to hang out, and oh yeah, the beach!

I'd say start in Santa Cruz. You can easily get to San Jose in about 30 minutes over Hwy 17. You can always move over the hill if you don't like it in Santa Cruz afterall.

You will probably have to get a roommate situation with your budget, but that could mean instant friends.

Welcome to CA and enjoy yourself!

Old 02-09-2014, 01:40 AM

well so far this thread has kind of confirmed my initial leaning, which is Santa Cruz, so thats good! What is your opinion of Capitola? It appears to have a small town feel to it which i enjoy, without getting out in the sticks like most small towns.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:47 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,540 times
Capitola is more expensive than Santa Cruz, and much more touristy. It's also nicer, in my opinion, than Santa Cruz, but not as "real" as Santa Cruz. You won't have to deal with the homeless and druggies that populate Santa Cruz.

Like other folks say, Santa Cruz is not a dangerous place as long as you are aware of your surroundings. If you're an innocent naive little bunny, well then God helps you, because even in Heaven you're still going to get your siht jacked

Old 02-09-2014, 01:57 AM

well i guess i'll have to take a look at both at weigh the pros and cons haha.

Lord knows i'm not an "innocent naive little bunny," homelessness and people on drugs are nothing new to me. As long as its not as bad as Height street in SF near the park then it should be fine!

Last edited by wendell90409; 02-09-2014 at 02:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose