Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:58 AM

11 posts, read 26,234 times

Advertisements

Background:

27/25 year old newlywed looking to relocate and start a family.
Working from home for the past few years; no intentions of changing but would like a reasonable commute to San Francisco if need be (I'm use to hour commutes).
Budget - $1M to $1.5M (of course the lower the better)

Any thoughts on the new development by Brookfield near Hicks and Camden?

Would it be crazy to invest in a $1.3M home in that area?

According to https://www.city-data.com/zips/95120.html
Median household income is $180K
Median house value is $936K
58% White, 30% Asian (great, I won't be a minority)

Looks like a deal for a large 4 bedroom house.
I think its within the Los Gatos school district.

However, I think I read somewhere on this board to avoid South San Jose (https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-j...ls-wisely.html). Is it because of the school district or the area overall?

Also, it looks like it's near a massive Church (I'm not religious) and also near a Waste Management facility.

Other areas I'm looking at are Downtown Mountain View, Palo Alto/Los Altos, and San Mateo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 10:14 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,044,345 times
You may want to try the search feature. The 95120 zip code is Almaden Valley. There are numerous topics regarding the area here in this forum.

I will say that Almaden Valley is one of the nicest parts of San Jose. I'm not sure where you heard to avoid South San Jose. There are many nice parts. Some parts are sketchy, but it mostly varies by zip code.

AV really is like an extension of Los Gatos for the most part and they look and feel very similar to each other. The main high school, Leland, is one of the top rated high schools in the state.

AV is a good value compared to other upscale parts of the Bay Area.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:24 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,770,121 times
95120 covers Almaden Valley, which has very good schools - certainly I would not include them in any "avoid South San Jose schools" mantra.

However, Hicks/Camden is not in Almaden Valley and it is not served by Almaden schools. See for example the Leland High School attendance boundaries here:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I would guess Hicks/Camden would be covered by Pioneer High School (SJUSD) or Leigh High School (Campbell Union), but perhaps the Los Gatos boundaries are strange enough to extend that far. You would have to check with the exact address to be sure. Not sure about schools below the HS level.

If I had $1.3 million to spend, and schools were a priority, I would try to find something in Almaden Valley or Los Gatos, not in the region between them. I know prices have shot up a lot in the past few years, but surely $1.3 million will still get you something decent in Almaden. Probably not in Los Gatos, though. And MV/Los Altos/Palo Alto will be even more expensive. I know nothing about San Mateo.

Last edited by Yac; 12-20-2013 at 05:22 AM..

Old 12-13-2013, 10:38 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,167,057 times
It's a mix of districts.. Guadalupe Elementary, Dartmouth Middle, and Leigh High (the latter is in the Campbell Union SD).

Campbell Union School District SchoolFinder

Old 12-14-2013, 12:06 AM

It's within the Los Gatos High School boundary

But what about Elementary and Middle school (will need to call I guess)

It says Fisher Middle School... what about Elementary? Is it referring to Fisher MS in Los Gatos or in San Jose?

Now that you guys know the exact location, what do you guys think? It's in between Los Gatos and Alamaden.

The house seems like a good value at $1.3M as comparable (smaller) homes in PA are $1.7M (with great schools as its in the Los Altos school district) and MV at 1.5M (with decent schools?). The money saved can go towards Harker private school and have a nicer, larger home office and space for the entire family should the parents/in-laws decides to relocate.

My concern is not knowing the area too well. It looks like it's at the edge of the wealthier area as north would be South? San Jose, west is Los Gatos and east is Almaden. According to City-Data, even the homes north of the side have a decent household income of $150K, the only less wealthy area in the immediate would be Camden Ave and Blossom Hill Road (95124).

Seems like it's surrounded by wealthy areas.

Last edited by xza8; 12-14-2013 at 12:15 AM..

Old 12-14-2013, 01:50 AM

53 posts, read 176,092 times
I would be more careful about the school district boundaries. These maps are often quite inaccurate, especially when it comes to areas around the district borders. Usually each school district provides an online tool that will tell you whether a given street address fall within its boundary or not. Saying that, all elementary schools in 95120 are excellent and only noticeable differences are with middle/high schools (mostly because some schools bus in students from lower income neighborhoods). But despite that, even these schools are generally very good.

Also as far as the location goes, the entire 95120 is pretty much upper middle class neighborhood so I wouldn't be to much concerned about that. As you noticed, there are some lower income pockets around Camden/Blossom hill road (that are not part of 95120) but even these parts are generally considered to be in a "good" neighborhood (part of Cambrian). If there is anything I would be worried about then it would be that the whole Almaden Valley is a quite boring place without too many nearby amenities and restaurants. Also commuting might be longer than from some more centrally located areas.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:07 AM

197 posts, read 347,960 times
Look in 95124 Union School district. I think this is Union 14364 HOLDEN CT, San Jose, CA 95124 - MLSListings.com

You won't find super cheap "less wealthy" areas in 95124 for sale though. It's not a cheap area. Maybe compared to Los Gatos but you have to take that with a grain of salt.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:33 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,804,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
95120 covers Almaden Valley, which has very good schools - certainly I would not include them in any "avoid South San Jose schools" mantra.

However, Hicks/Camden is not in Almaden Valley and it is not served by Almaden schools. See for example the Leland High School attendance boundaries here:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I would guess Hicks/Camden would be covered by Pioneer High School (SJUSD) or Leigh High School (Campbell Union), but perhaps the Los Gatos boundaries are strange enough to extend that far. You would have to check with the exact address to be sure. Not sure about schools below the HS level.

If I had $1.3 million to spend, and schools were a priority, I would try to find something in Almaden Valley or Los Gatos, not in the region between them. I know prices have shot up a lot in the past few years, but surely $1.3 million will still get you something decent in Almaden. Probably not in Los Gatos, though. And MV/Los Altos/Palo Alto will be even more expensive. I know nothing about San Mateo.
I would disagree about San Jose Unified, but the west end of 95120 is in Leigh or Branham High territory otherwise.....

Last edited by Yac; 12-20-2013 at 05:22 AM..

Old 12-15-2013, 12:30 AM

865 posts, read 1,829,119 times
I would think if you are going to spend that much, at your age, and planning a family in the future but not having one yet, you could live further north (unless south is a better commute for you). For the most part, the further north the better the schools and commute.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:32 PM

Further north as in Cupertino/Sunnyvale/MV/PA?

I don't have a commute and don't plan on having one.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose