Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 12:19 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Marin County is beautiful and the towns all have their own flavors.
It's beautiful but the commute would be horrible if the office is in SV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 01:18 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,707 times
Morgan Hill is too hot and the schools suck. It's also not part of SV.

If you want everything you asked for, you're looking at a $1.75MM house in a place like Alamaden Valley, which translates to about $7k/month in rent. That's probably the most affordable place that's family oriented and has top schools. But the reality is that if you want a $1.75MM house, you might have to buy it because they're rarely available for rent. The vast majority of rental homes are in the $400k to $800k range, which will not meet your requirements.

A touchy subject which no one has mentioned is demographics. Many of the places with top schools have significant numbers of overachieving minorities students. Some parents are turned off by the academic competition and the unhealthy focus on just test scores

Old 05-20-2013, 10:11 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's beautiful but the commute would be horrible if the office is in SV.
San Francisco was mentioned.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:41 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
Quote:
San Jose is boring.
Get the F out. San Jose is boring? that's not what your Mom said.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:32 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Get the F out. San Jose is boring? that's not what your Mom said.
Many things are boring if you're a kid who lurches into SJ forums repeating the same old anti-SJ bile for years. In bold violet.(which is immediately telling...)

Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Many things are boring if you're a kid who lurches into SJ forums repeating the same old anti-SJ bile for years. In bold violet.(which is immediately telling...)
Really? You obviously haven't read any of my threads in the Retirement forum.

Great research, not to mention, intuition.

NOT.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:39 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times
Quote:
Marin County is beautiful and the towns all have their own flavors.
Yes, rich yuppie comes in many flavors.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:43 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Really? You obviously haven't read any of my threads in the Retirement forum.

Great research, not to mention, intuition.

NOT.
Nope. Only the same old SJ-hatespeach. Plenty of evidence available.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:46 PM

21 posts, read 51,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, I totally agree with that. But I'm sure the OP already knows he makes more than most people. It's human nature to take the lifestyle you have for granted and want the same or better lifestyle if you move somewhere else. You can knock him for it but our brains are wired to want "more" regardless of how high up on the economic ladder we are.
^^ this

We have experienced this firsthand. Had everything the OP wanted on exactly his salary in San Diego, CA. Suddenly we moved to Singapore for a great job. No car, small apt, ridiculous school fees (cant do public), outrageous food and COL in general. We had the most salary we had ever made and still budgeted to save money but felt poorer than I had ever felt before. (Grew up in Iowa middle class.). Now we are thrilled to go to SV and have a car, maybe even two, again. But it will be small, old house and probably rented. It's difficult. But, hubby has funding for a startup and SV is where the amazing guys he wants to work with are! He has the funding because of the chance we took on Singapore. I will try to remember my Singapore apartment and not my San Diego McMansion and remember public school and not amazing private school when we move...

I don't know what his startup is, but if he wants that lifestyle On west coast LA and San Diego would be a better choice.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:30 AM

240 posts, read 478,322 times
Strange, I recall food in Singapore was much cheaper than in the bay area, at least in the downtown area. We'd budgeted ~ $90/day for two (2004) and we only had spectacular meals there - all memorable. For consistently varied & memorable meals in the bay area, you have look at multiples of that budget, at least in our experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose