Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 21,341 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I may soon be offered a sales job with San Jose as the primary hub of the region, but all my travel around my region will be covered no matter where I am as long as I'm in the region.

For those well-versed in the geography of the bay, the region covers San Jose up through about Pacifica on the peninsula. I know it also includes Oakland but not San Francisco, so I'm guessing that it pretty much circumnavigates the bay (it does not go into Dublin/Pleasanton) with the exception of SF.

Where would be the best place to live? We're considering affordability as well as quality of neighborhood and schools. I'm the sole income provider for our family and we have 3 children. The job would likely start in the $90-$100k range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 02:30 PM

4,379 posts, read 6,352,827 times
To be honest with you, you're going to be challenged to find something nice in a good neighborhood that you can afford with your income. The nicer parts of the South Bay/Peninsula are pricey. You may want to consider something the exurbs. I know that isn't ideal for your commute, but you can get more for your money if you move far south (Morgan Hill/Gilroy) or far east (Livermore/Tracy).

Old 04-20-2012, 02:37 PM

Thank you ... I should note: we don't need upscale. We just don't want seedy or crime-ridden. A 3 or 4 BR home with a yard. And windows without bars.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:44 PM

4,379 posts, read 6,352,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyratty View Post
Thank you ... I should note: we don't need upscale. We just don't want seedy or crime-ridden. A 3 or 4 BR home with a yard. And windows without bars.
I suppose its more of a question of how much of your income are you willing to put towards your rent. Other people on here will tell you that you can get something for like $2k-$2,500/month in San Jose (probably in a so-so neighborhood with ok schools). However, if my total income was under $100k and I had 3 kids, that amount of money would be tough for me to justify as I'd be also focused on retirement/college savings, not to mention wanting to have a little fun (wouldn't want to be house poor).

Old 04-20-2012, 04:33 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,514,304 times
I've been seeing what are considered good deals by Bay Area standards Coastside. Places like the mid century non-golf neighborhoods in HMB, places in Montara, etc.

Of course one must accept Coastside living / commuting warts and all if one goes this route.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 PM

264 posts, read 833,485 times
At 90k and 3 kids it's going to be a tight budget in the bay area, but many people do it. I know a couple with 3 kids living in Fremont within a great school district (area) and they have very reasonable rent (under 2000 a month for a 3 bedroom) but those cheaper rent places can be hard to come by. Start studying rental prices (craigslist iis a start) in different towns you are looking to live and school scores in the towns you are looking to live.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:20 PM

We lived in Livermore in 2009-2010 on a $52k income with (then) 2 kids and did fine. I guess the lifestyle expectations we bring from the smaller community may be different.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:50 PM

264 posts, read 833,485 times
Will you get by? Yes. Higher rent (rents have increased quite a bit since 2009 from my understanding) will end up making your budget tighter... can you be creative and work with what you've got? Of course. May also mean more stress though too... I guess it depends on how you feel about living paycheck to paycheck or pinching pennies so-to-speak. Lots of people have to do it, so go for it if you already have realistic expectations for your lifestyle/budget.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:07 PM

866 posts, read 1,836,131 times
I would think you'd need to focus on E. Bay or like another cleverly put it "exurbs." Unless you homeschool and don't need to worry about schools. I can't imagine finding a rental meeting your description on the west side in an area with good schools for under $3000, and that's even pushing it.

My biggest advice is don't jump to get just anything. Be patient on your rental. We would have had a month of corp. housing paid but I was too worried to move without a destination and took the best of the worst on a weekend trip. We suffered for it for a year then moved again (when it was on our dime and expensive) and rents had gone up in that year. Had I been patient initially we would have been better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose