Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 10:45 PM

4 posts, read 21,124 times

Advertisements

I currently work in Vancouver, BC (Canada) and am considering a 2-year job opportunity at Palo Alto. Don't know any one in the area so I really need you help in making this decision!

A little background:
the job will be near El Camino Real and Page Mill Rd.
perfer minimal commute, under 30min on public transit.
looking for 1 bedroom, maybe studio. (I am currently living in a $850 1 bedroom apartment, less than 30min away from downtown vancouver)
Single female late-20s
early in career with limited budget
not looking for a lavish lifestyle but would like to travel back to see family a few times

Questions:
cost of living? rent cost?
do I need a car?
how much will I need to make to live comfortably with some saving?
local demographic? lifestyle?
comparison to Vancouver?

any input is appreciated! Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 12:27 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,834,856 times
With your current budget you wont' be able to live by yourself, you'd have to have roommates and rent a room or share an apartment.

Prices get higher as you go north along the Penisula towards San Francisco and lower as you go south from Palo Alto. You can't rent a studio anywhere along the Peninsula for $850 so if you want to live by yourself you'll have to budget for, what, how much are studios renting nowadays? $1200?

It's kind of difficult to live in the area without a car. Public transportation is pretty good at getting people to and from work, but for groceries, shopping malls and things like that it seems like its might be more difficult. I take Caltrain but I don't know about the buses.

The local demographic is highly international, similar to Vancouver. Lifestyle wise, San Francisco and Vancouver are probably similar. The Peninsula is different because it's the "suburbs."

There's another post in a different thread I did a few days ago where I gave a breakdown of monthly costs including utilties, food, etc. Do a search for it.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:29 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,239,474 times
Anywhere in the Bay Area is going to be more expensive than even central Vancouver. Palo Alto is about as expensive as it gets. That's just the tradeoff. When I started out on a limited income, I rented a room in a house with a Filipino family in the Milpitas foothills. They were great and I had no trouble with them, and after a year I was able to get a better job and then rented my own one-bedroom.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:57 PM

4 posts, read 21,124 times
Thank you for the replies.

After some research, I think rent will be at least $1200.
Although I will get a raise by moving down to SJ, I'm not sure if the raise will cover the high cost of living. Any recommendation on a comfortable income for a single person family living in the area?
ie. 1 bedroom/studio rent, car, & some savings

Also, which area should I look to live? I'm happy with a $1200 studio... but would like somewhere safe.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:01 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,239,474 times
If you're going for an apartment, avoid East Palo Alto like the plague, and avoid San Jose anywhere east of 101 (traffic and often crime issues) or near SJSU. You could probably get a studio in Sunnyvale or Mountain View on your budget, maybe Palo Alto if you're lucky.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:55 PM

5 posts, read 19,746 times
Why avoid East Palo Alto?!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:32 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,912,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidAllen View Post
They'll eat you. And then take your new Ikea stuff.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:14 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,834,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
They'll eat you. And then take your new Ikea stuff.

Hahaha good one

Old 07-07-2011, 10:35 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,070,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidAllen View Post

While not as bad as it used to be, East Palo Alto was once the per-capita murder capital of the United States. It's better now but it's still pretty crappy. FYI, it's not actually part of the city of Palo Alto. It's a separate city that sits mostly on the opposite side of hwy 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose