Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 09:48 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,775,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
In Uptown alone I can think of:

1) Telegraph between 19th and William
2) San Pablo between 18th and 19th
3) 20th & Telegraph
4) Broadway & 17th
5) Much of 21st between Telegraph and San Pablo

They're not green space, they're unused potential.

Was I referring to them? No. I was specifically talking about the Emerald Hills development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,789,306 times
oakland is cash strapped with declining tax revenue
oakland needs more demographics like the people who would live in emerald views more than a park.

300 households who would make retail ,dining and entertainment purchases increasing tax revenues while at the same time this group would not or under utilize school district services ,county health services , police /public safety services.

they would contribute much more than they use in resources. choosing between a park and more of this demographic in oaklands present economic state is not much a choice.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
oakland is cash strapped with declining tax revenue
oakland needs more demographics like the people who would live in emerald views more than a park.

300 households who would make retail ,dining and entertainment purchases increasing tax revenues while at the same time this group would not or under utilize school district services ,county health services , police /public safety services.

they would contribute much more than they use in resources. choosing between a park and more of this demographic in oaklands present economic state is not much a choice.
That's the opposite of what Oakland needs. We need more kids in the school districts.

And yes, choosing between a park and a condo development is in fact a choice. I'd choose the former any day.

Oak To Ninth on the other hand sounds like a legitimately good project.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:13 AM

36,666 posts, read 67,603,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
That's the opposite of what Oakland needs. We need more kids in the school districts.

And yes, choosing between a park and a condo development is in fact a choice. I'd choose the former any day.

We have plenty of beautiful parks.

Emerald Towers would be built over a small lot that no one ever uses and has very little historical value. And Snow Park is nearby.

As far as schools, when I was in school, the OUSD had over 50,000 students and today I think its around 30,000. I think however, we have an opportunity to create something out of schools that might be closed or at least get creative.

For example, Manzanita School on E27th has a medical clinic on campus now that helps with basic health needs for students and I think the surrounding community as well.

Also, our test scores have improved dramatically over the past 10 years and Oakland is today actually in the same range as every other major CA city as far as test scores, and our number of high scoring schools is very impressive.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
We have plenty of beautiful parks.

Emerald Towers would be built over a small lot that no one ever uses and has very little historical value. And Snow Park is nearby.

As far as schools, when I was in school, the OUSD had over 50,000 students and today I think its around 30,000. I think however, we have an opportunity to create something out of schools that might be closed or at least get creative.

For example, Manzanita School on E27th has a medical clinic on campus now that helps with basic health needs for students and I think the surrounding community as well.

Also, our test scores have improved dramatically over the past 10 years and Oakland is today actually in the same range as every other major CA city as far as test scores, and our number of high scoring schools is very impressive.
I'll agree to disagree on the Emerald project.

There is still an undeniable education crisis in Oakland though. The average may have improved but there are still far too many terrible schools. Mandela/Fremont, Castlemont, Mack, Ralph Bunche, OH, etc. do not provide the education that East and West Oakland students deserve.

I actually didn't know that about Manzanita though even though I'm in the area a lot.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I'll agree to disagree on the Emerald project.

There is still an undeniable education crisis in Oakland though. The average may have improved but there are still far too many terrible schools. Mandela/Fremont, Castlemont, Mack, Ralph Bunche, OH, etc. do not provide the education that East and West Oakland students deserve.

I actually didn't know that about Manzanita though even though I'm in the area a lot.
Yeah, Manzanita has a very new clinic that Mayor Quan inaugurated that I believe serves neighbors too--dont hold me to that tho cause Im not sure.

Here is an interesting blog about Oakland Schools and the improvements that have occurred in on campus health programs.
health - The Education Report - Katy Murphy's blog on Oakland schools

Sure there are problems but people Oaklanders sell our public schools too short, too often imo.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:15 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,789,306 times
Quote:

this begs the question:
are oaklands schools poor performing because of lack of recources ?
or
are oaklands schools poor performing because of lack of students ?

my position is more the former. there are a number of very highly rated elemetary school in the oakland hills where the parents raise a$200,000 a year and these schools are over capacity. even neighborhood kids can't get in

Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 PM

337 posts, read 733,961 times
Default Bus Rapid Transit (along Telegraph/Broadway/14th/International)

The finalized AC Transit Bus Rapid Transit EIR is out. The report is very interesting. I think BRT will help with connecting Temescal and Northgate/Koreatown with Uptown and Downtown.

I also think that it'll curb crime along International Blvd. in East Oakland. I've been to Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico and have seen their BRT system. It has lowered crime rates along the route. Supposedly the same has happened in Bogota, Colombia along their BRT routes. International will be more aesthetically pleasing and will feel more urban.

Final Environmental Impact Statement/Final Environmental Impact Report (FEIS/FEIR) | AC Transit

Old 02-09-2012, 09:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athleticsfan72737489 View Post
The finalized AC Transit Bus Rapid Transit EIR is out. The report is very interesting. I think BRT will help with connecting Temescal and Northgate/Koreatown with Uptown and Downtown.

I also think that it'll curb crime along International Blvd. in East Oakland. I've been to Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico and have seen their BRT system. It has lowered crime rates along the route. Supposedly the same has happened in Bogota, Colombia along their BRT routes. International will be more aesthetically pleasing and will feel more urban.

Final Environmental Impact Statement/Final Environmental Impact Report (FEIS/FEIR) | AC Transit
Cool! Thanks! There was a recent study on either light rail/subway in the DC Metro and crime rates. Crimes at the stations decreased from what happened previously at the same location. Eyes on the street and foot traffic do wonders for crime reduction.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:51 AM

In light of that cool BRT article, Im sort of wondering why the city is also now doing this:

Oakland to Launch Second $300,000 Streetcar Study | Politics and Breaking News | Oakland, Berkeley, Bay Area & California | 92510

An old conceptual drawing showing what it might look like:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland