Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 12:14 AM

365 posts, read 780,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am voting for Target. Macy's is an ok choice but target wins. Macys needs more chains nearby. Target could help kickstart more indie retail.
I could have gone with Target but there are already two within two miles of downtown. As far as kickstarting indie retail I have no idea why you think it would do that or why it would do it more so than a Macy's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 01:55 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,928,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay2bay View Post
I could have gone with Target but there are already two within two miles of downtown. As far as kickstarting indie retail I have no idea why you think it would do that or why it would do it more so than a Macy's.
All of those Targets have poor transit access. An target has expressed interest in coming downtown. Macys isn't a neighborhood pioneer. They want an ecosystem of chains in order to create a store, so when Macy's comes that means the other usual suspects will come with it. Have you ever seen a macys surrounded by "indie" retail anywhere?

Target is a draw on its own, it does t need the bonus of "mall traffics" to do well since it primary sells basic goods with the other stuff being profit bonuses. Even downtown Walnut Creek's Target is in a retail dead zone.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:43 AM

343 posts, read 445,418 times
Hopefully Sears finally closing is what gets Target to open downtown somewhere. It seems like a no brainer.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:35 AM

36,668 posts, read 67,629,328 times
The new owner appears to be rebranding the site as "Uptown Station" and plans to attract tech tenants.

Lane Partners buys historic Sears building in Oakland to lure tech tenants - San Francisco Business Times

Old 06-27-2014, 06:04 AM

Location: From Oakland, CA. Was in SLZ, CA. Now Lynnwood, WA.
81 posts, read 137,968 times
Thumbs up REI Oakland?

An REI at the old Capwell (now Sears) building would be great. Going to the one in Berkeley is always like a great labour.

My grandmother loved shopping there in the mid 1980's

The Department Store Museum: H. C. Capwell Co., Oakland, California

H. C. Capwell Company - Oakland Wiki

Old 06-27-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred9 View Post
An REI at the old Capwell (now Sears) building would be great. Going to the one in Berkeley is always like a great labour.

My grandmother loved shopping there in the mid 1980's

The Department Store Museum: H. C. Capwell Co., Oakland, California

H. C. Capwell Company - Oakland Wiki
There are so many stores I'd rather have downtown as the first anchor.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:00 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,603,751 times
Biggest Tech Centers With the Most Women in Tech

Quote:
1. Las Vegas, NV
2. Oakland, CA
3. Nashville, TN
4. Miami, FL
5. Dallas, TX
Cities with the Most Women in Tech and What We Can Learn from Them

Old 06-27-2014, 03:50 PM

36,668 posts, read 67,629,328 times
These renderings are excellent.

West Oakland Specific Plan renderings « Oakland Local

Old 06-27-2014, 04:56 PM

Location: From Oakland, CA. Was in SLZ, CA. Now Lynnwood, WA.
81 posts, read 137,968 times
Question Any sugestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There are so many stores I'd rather have downtown as the first anchor.
Ok, so I allowed location settings when googling REi; 3 with in driving distance SF. Berk, Concord. There are 9 Target stores with in driving distance Alameda, Emeryville, Richmond, Albany, Walnut Creek, San Leandro, Hayward and 2 in SF.

I can't think of any other store for that location other than REi or

This would be awesome! Or just put a Best Buy there if the Techi hub busts.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred9 View Post
Ok, so I allowed location settings when googling REi; 3 with in driving distance SF. Berk, Concord. There are 9 Target stores with in driving distance Alameda, Emeryville, Richmond, Albany, Walnut Creek, San Leandro, Hayward and 2 in SF.

I can't think of any other store for that location other than REi or

This would be awesome! Or just put a Best Buy there if the Techi hub busts.
Well a couple of thinks, REI doesn't really need "density" it is a destination store.

And 2, if you live in the inner east bay, pretty much all of those Targets have horrible transit access. All of the transit dependent people I know who live in Oakland, only go to Target SF or Target Walnut Creek. I don't think we need to "waste" a big location with stellar transit access for a non-staple store. And the Berkeley REI has pretty decent transit access/frequency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland