Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 04:53 PM

9 posts, read 11,450 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm an out-of-towner that is organizing a bachelor party in downtown SF. As part of the party, the groom has requested a stop at a restaurant with offerings that are unique to SF. This doesn't have to be fancy or classy - it can be as simple as a unique type of sandwich/burger/burrito/etc. We're open to dives or hole-in-the-wall type places, so please share any thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,092,555 times
Well other than sourdough bread (which you can get anywhere) and a few other things there isn't much food that is really native to California.

Also honestly downtown SF really shuts down after about 5pm on weekdays and there aren't many restaurants that are open since they're mainly lunch places. There are some though but I would check the hours and make sure they are open at the time you want to be there. I would try and go to the areas that are a short walk away like North Beach, Chinatown and South of Market near the Embarcadero.

I believe cioppino (a kind of seafood soup) is a SF specialty, maybe try and find a place in North Beach or Fisherman's Wharf that serves it.

Cioppino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For a real San Francisco experience I would recommend Red's which is a short walk on the Embarcadero to the south of Market. They serve hamburgers on sourdough rolls which I've never seen anywhere else. Very simple, cheap and tasty, especially with a little hot sauce. Eating one of their burgers with a bottle of Anchor Steam while you look out on the Bay on a sunny day is a real SF treat. Their hours are weird though and they close early so make sure they are open when you'd be there.

Red's Java House - San Francisco, CA

Also I guess you could get clam chowder in a sourdough bowl, there are places in Fisherman's Wharf that does this, also Boudin.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:03 PM

802 posts, read 2,267,186 times
How about a stop at the Tadich Grill, the oldest restaurant in San Francisco? You can get some San Francisco classic dishes like the aforementioned cioppino, dungeness crab, and Hangtown Fry.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:16 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,739,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Well other than sourdough bread (which you can get anywhere) and a few other things there isn't much food that is really native to California.
What about Rice-a-Roni the San Francisco treat?

Old 05-27-2010, 04:34 PM

9 posts, read 11,450 times
Thanks for the great suggestions, guys - extremely helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland