Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:32 PM

4 posts, read 24,510 times

Advertisements

Hello, my girlfriend and i, are moving to SF, and we were wondering what would be a nice safe neighborhood to live and find an apartment or studio, we are going to work in the North Bay area.
Is it difficult to move around without a car, or a bike will do?
We have a budget of around $1000
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 05:37 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,083,238 times
Most studios in SF seem to be about $1200 or more but you can find ones for less than that, I have seen some listed as low as $700 but they are hard to get because so many people apply. It will probably be small though and tough to live in with two people but if you get along it could be ok. A 1 bedroom would be more like $1400 or more. If you both have decent jobs then you could maybe afford a 1 bedroom or a large studio. Maybe go for a good sized studio for $1200 or less, paying $600 a person for rent is pretty low these days and prices keep going up every year.

As for neighborhoods, honestly if you can find a studio for less than $1000 then you aren't going to be able to be very picky. If you are going to be taking a bus to Marin County you will probably want to be near the Golden Gate bus stops in SF, I think there are some on Geary in the northern parts of the city.

Just stay out of the Tenderloin and the southeastern parts of the city like Hunters Point/Bayview and Visitacion Valley and you should be fine, but if you go to see apartments make sure you feel comfortable with the neighborhood before deciding to take the place.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:42 PM

282 posts, read 382,666 times
I would say the Richmond, my wife was living in a 800 square foot inlaw paying $700 a month. This was about 5 years ago. The woman who owned the house was an old Chinese woman who was rich but just wanted company because she was scared being alone. I'm sure there are deals like that elsewhere as well. I found that the Richmond district was pretty reasonable in price. We looked at other places that were pretty nice but had no laundry and were going for $900 -$1000 for 1 bedrooms and Jr. 1 Bedrooms. Look in the Richmond, as for the North Bay where in the North Bay will you be working because there are not too many other ways to get there without a car.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:37 AM

well thanks for your advices, I think is true, $1200 for a couple is not that much, I dont really have an idea of how is the market there in the states, we are currently living in europe.
As where in North Bay, it would be in Broadway St

Old 05-26-2010, 12:42 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,163,263 times
North Bay means north of the Golden Gate Bridge.. Broadway Street is in Pacific Heights, San Francisco, is it not? A bike will do in that area. If you don't need to have a car then that is a big expense taken care of.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:14 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,992,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopanc View Post
Hello, my girlfriend and i, are moving to SF, and we were wondering what would be a nice safe neighborhood to live and find an apartment or studio, we are going to work in the North Bay area.
Is it difficult to move around without a car, or a bike will do?
We have a budget of around $1000
Thanks in advance
Do you mean the neighborhood in San Francisco, "North Beach"?

Old 05-27-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Do you mean the neighborhood in San Francisco, "North Beach"?
well yes.. i think.... we are going to work in a restaurant in the Broadway street, that is located in North Beach neighborhood

Old 05-27-2010, 10:40 PM

814 posts, read 670,735 times
You can always look in Chinatown for space it shares the same streets in North Beach. Next cheapest would be I believe the Richmond then Sunset. Every where else is expensive! check craigslist for vacancies.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:16 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,255,324 times
Chinatown is full of rats, literally. I've seen them scurrying around my feet when I walk around there. I can't imagine how a studio apartment would be in that area.

Richmond is cool if you know any Eastern European languages. Otherwise you may feel out of the loop.

Sunset is okay if you don't mind Burbs, which are admittedly rare in S.F.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:12 AM

hahaha yeah... i wont like to live among rats... and no we dont speak any eastern european languages, So Richmond is a good place?? i would say after reading all your post that... maybe 1200 budget is too low.... lets say... 1500... maybe...
And thanks to all you for your replies, I really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland