Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:15 AM

39 posts, read 145,127 times

Advertisements

I think I have narrowed down the safe areas, but what about noise? I would like to move to the city, but I need a quiet environment for my work. I telecommute and need to be on the phone a lot and I'm required to work in a quiet environment.

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 04:02 PM

36 posts, read 229,141 times
Default There are quiet neighborhoods but you pay for them.

I'm not sure if you're buying or renting and how much you can afford. There are certainly quieter places in SF but it depends on price point.

One of the quietest areas is St. Francis Wood. It's west of twin peaks but these are all single family and expensive homes so not sure if you can afford it. We live in West Portal next door and it is amazingly quiet depending on where you are in the house. I think you have to look at the individual rooms in a house as some face quieter areas than others. The back bedrooms which open onto an enclosed block of back yards is silent, the front is really loud as we live on a busier street. Glen Park may also be a bit quieter but it is near the freeway so maybe you'll hear some noise. Noe Valley can be quiet if you're up on a hill further from 24th street. And of course, right around twin peaks and Cole valley. I think no matter where you live you're always going to hear the sirens all the time which gets old after awhile.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:10 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. I will be renting and my limit is $1,600.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:00 PM

812 posts, read 4,091,002 times
Yeah, SF's got some pretty quiet places, but as the previous poster said, it's going to be "city quiet" so you can't expect complete scilence, but still pretty damn quiet for a city so dense.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:18 PM

30,430 posts, read 52,068,476 times
My neighborhood is extremely quiet, but only within this 2-3 block radius (we sit against a bad part of town)... I'll PM you with specific information, if you're interested. I've also lived in the Sunset district, and found it extremely peaceful by "city standards." The further out you go toward the ocean, the quieter it gets - try looking around 30th-40th avenues, between Sloat and Judah (more or less). Because it's so far from downtown, this is a less densely populated part of the city... and pardon my un-PC-ness, but the Asian demographic also makes for a quieter environment, which is the case with my current place too. Anyway, that would be my best suggestion! You also might find peace & quiet up north, around the Presidio and Richmond heights neighborhoods... but expect to pay about double of what you'd pay in the Sunset.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:20 PM

Thanks! I am looking at craigslist and there is one in the Richmond where they say "listen to the foghorns at night". I'm concerned about this. How bad is it? When they sound how often and for how long and how loud, if I happen to be around 23rd. and Geary.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:22 PM

Also, what about Taraval and Judah? There seems to be apts available there, but I'm concerned about MUNI. The people I work for have a zero tolerance for noise policy.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd7788 View Post
Also, what about Taraval and Judah? There seems to be apts available there, but I'm concerned about MUNI. The people I work for have a zero tolerance for noise policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd7788 View Post
Thanks! I am looking at craigslist and there is one in the Richmond where they say "listen to the foghorns at night". I'm concerned about this. How bad is it? When they sound how often and for how long and how loud, if I happen to be around 23rd. and Geary.
Well, it's hard for me to give a definite answer, since I haven't lived in those exact locations. However, it seems the Sunset in general is fairly quiet, and I've never noticed Muni noise or foghorns. Might be an issue if you're either right on 19th ave. or at the ocean... but the streets in the middle should be peaceful, in comparison to most of SF.

Oh, but Judah street does have a Muni lightrail (the N), so that could be a problem. Maybe you should look at the Muni map, and try to avoid anything along a major line - particularly the lightrails (ones with "letter names"), which can get noisy. Official Muni Maps

Old 06-14-2007, 02:53 AM

I was just thinking, you should look into the complex where I used to live...
Parkmerced - Welcome Home!

It's possible things have changed, since I lived there about 12 years ago, but it was quiet back then! It's kind of a "woodsy" community, and sits away from the major roads, so might be what you're looking for.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:39 PM

Hi gizmo, thanks for all your help! I checked Park Merced but they are above my budget, and they seem to have gone downhill a lot.

I was wondering, how bad are those foghorns? Is it really loud? Really constant? At what times of the day or night and for how long? Should I steer away from these area, and if so, from what other areas for the same reason? Or would there be no problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland