Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 07:17 PM

3 posts, read 10,133 times

Advertisements

A couple of days ago, I was given a call by my landlord saying that there will be a city inspector coming in. So I made an appt with him and let city inspector in.

City inspector told me that there is nothing hazardous such as CO at the moment, and left. But what he also told me was that this is probably an illegal apartment and I confirmed it with my landlord. I am a student and I cannot afford to move out of this place when my school starts so I emailed my landlord saying that it may be wise for me to move out soon if I can find a place. I also demanded my security deposit back before moving out.

Today, I talked to a lawyer regarding this issue (which should have been the first and a smart thing to do in this kinda situation I realized). He told me that I should not have told my landlord that I may be moving out. He said its okay since I did not give him a specific date. However, he told me to just stay low and don't do anything until eviction notice arrives. He told me not to pay rent anymore and such. Also told me that it is extremely unlikely for my landlord to get a permit for my little studio in his basement.

I just don't wanna be in the mess. I want to get out, but I have planned vacation trip next week, and in order to find a place, I have to basically stress out and maybe give up my plans. It is totally not worth it but crap, I am in a big trouble, and my school starts again in 2 weeks. and I can't sacrifice my school for moving...

I know that odds are against my landlord and I am most likely to benefit from this situation. Any advice?

My landlord is kinda mean btw, he was even hesitant about giving my security deposit back...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 08:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,834,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2obel2ts View Post
A couple of days ago, I was given a call by my landlord saying that there will be a city inspector coming in. So I made an appt with him and let city inspector in.

City inspector told me that there is nothing hazardous such as CO at the moment, and left. But what he also told me was that this is probably an illegal apartment and I confirmed it with my landlord. I am a student and I cannot afford to move out of this place when my school starts so I emailed my landlord saying that it may be wise for me to move out soon if I can find a place. I also demanded my security deposit back before moving out.

Today, I talked to a lawyer regarding this issue (which should have been the first and a smart thing to do in this kinda situation I realized). He told me that I should not have told my landlord that I may be moving out. He said its okay since I did not give him a specific date. However, he told me to just stay low and don't do anything until eviction notice arrives. He told me not to pay rent anymore and such. Also told me that it is extremely unlikely for my landlord to get a permit for my little studio in his basement.

I just don't wanna be in the mess. I want to get out, but I have planned vacation trip next week, and in order to find a place, I have to basically stress out and maybe give up my plans. It is totally not worth it but crap, I am in a big trouble, and my school starts again in 2 weeks. and I can't sacrifice my school for moving...

I know that odds are against my landlord and I am most likely to benefit from this situation. Any advice?

My landlord is kinda mean btw, he was even hesitant about giving my security deposit back...
The owner "Was" kinda of hesitant about giving your security deposit back?

You're still in the unit... right?

Wouldn't it be less of a mess to act now instead of the prolonged uncertainty of living in an illegal unit subject to eventual eviction?

You already have a lawyer... so any information given on this board is immaterial at best...

Old 12-18-2009, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 10,133 times
Oops, didn't receive my security deposit yet... I just had a free consultation. I haven't noticed an eviction notice yet. Lawyer told me to get a lawyer when the letter comes. I am just looking for an advice on what I should do now.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:21 PM

36,697 posts, read 67,725,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2obel2ts View Post
Oops, didn't receive my security deposit yet... I just had a free consultation. I haven't noticed an eviction notice yet. Lawyer told me to get a lawyer when the letter comes. I am just looking for an advice on what I should do now.
Please contact this group-they really helped a relative of mine who was in a bind. For free too.

Eviction Defense Collaborative - Saving Homes, One Family at a Time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland