Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 04:04 AM

11 posts, read 34,800 times

Advertisements

all help appreciated.

I am looking to move closer to the city and am looking at sausalito or mill valley. I have been to both a few times and know that renting in these places can sometimes be high but its the nightlife/social life that i want to ask questions;

which town is better, sausalito is closer to the city but what is life like in the sausalito itself?

does mill valley have a center where young people hang out and drink or do most just head for the city??

what are the pros and cons of both places?

From a persepctive of a single male in his 30's please help

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 10,038 times
Default Mill Valley and Sausalito

I've lived in Sausalito but never in Mill Valley. We were marrried and had kids by the time we moved there, so the singles part I'm also not much help on.

That said, we love Sausalito. Gorgeous views, dramatic weather, the ability to walk just about anywhere in town from your home so long as you're willing to walk back up the hill.

The proximity to San Francisco is a big plus, and there's a huge variety of restaurants (a list is at Our Sausalito.com: Restaurants -- Best). But for us the big thing was always the view and being so close to the water.

If you have specific questions please post back and I'll try to answer them -- I know this is pretty generic but at least I got across that we love being here.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:38 AM

334 posts, read 1,067,222 times
It is my understanding that all of marin shuts down by 9PM during the week and 10PM on the weekend. There are few to no options for nightlife. You are better off in SF for nightlife.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
batransplant, are you sure this refers to Sausalito? We haven't been there in years, but it didn't used to be that way. If I were single, a lib and wanted to live close to but not in SFO, I would love to live in Sausalito..

Nita

Old 06-10-2009, 04:42 AM

11 posts, read 34,800 times
thanks for the posts, I currently live and work in Sonoma and I am sooooo bored and sick and tired of drinking in half empty bars with my co workers - i need a change. I understand that bars close down early almost anywhere over the golden gate on this side. I am slowly going insane!!!!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 12,622 times
I'm trying to get information on life in mill valley. I'm 32, moving from los angeles, will be working in the financial district, and living with my girlfriend. We are still young in that we like to go to bars on weekends and not be in bed by 10pm. that being said, i'd like a quiet oasis to come home to and not sure i want to live in sf proper. I currently living in hermosa beach in LA and love the laid back vibe, but proximity to the excitement of the city of los angeles. Would Mill Valley (or Sausalito) be a place that would fit my palate? Also, is the weather much warmer in Mill Valley compared to Sausalito?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibaba77 View Post
I'm trying to get information on life in mill valley. I'm 32, moving from los angeles, will be working in the financial district, and living with my girlfriend. We are still young in that we like to go to bars on weekends and not be in bed by 10pm. that being said, i'd like a quiet oasis to come home to and not sure i want to live in sf proper. I currently living in hermosa beach in LA and love the laid back vibe, but proximity to the excitement of the city of los angeles. Would Mill Valley (or Sausalito) be a place that would fit my palate? Also, is the weather much warmer in Mill Valley compared to Sausalito?
Both sould pretty good, depending on your housing budget, I think Sausalito would be a fun place to live...

Nita

Old 12-15-2009, 02:00 AM

334 posts, read 1,067,222 times
I am from LA also....lived in Marina Del Rey for the laid back lifestyle similar to Hermosa Beach, but still next door to Venice, Santa Monica, and within 25 min of everywhere else you would want to hang out in LA for fun. That being said....the bay area closes about an hour earlier than LA...people also go out a bit earlier too. If you don't want to be in bed by 10PM...then you should live in the city...just not downtown. The little towns within SF can be pretty cool. I would recommend the Marina for you. It is my favorite part of San Francisco. Go check out Union and Chestnut Sts. They are the shopping areas of the Marina, but then walk toward Marina Bl. and you will see lots of clean, quiet streets filled w/ cute mediterranean architecture. If you want to dine and drink in the Marina, you will be able to WALK home! Huge plus...but still away from any riff raff or chaos. It can get cold there, but that is true of anywhere in the BA...plus SF is foggy in the summer. You can go to Marin during the day on the weekends to escape the fog.

Mill Valley is great if you are married w/ kids, or retired/empty nester. That is who lives there. Not younger couples. Sausalito is a small, scenic, touristy village. It never dawned on me to live there but the weather is probably a tad better then San Francisco, and Mill Valley will be slightly better than Sausalito, but do not expect anything similar to Hermosa Beach. It is really cold here starting in Nov, rains quite a bit, and you will need warmer clothing than what you probably own right now. I've been up here for a couple years already and I am still not used to how cold it gets or how to dress properly for the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland