Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:17 PM

334 posts, read 1,066,885 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Walnut Creek, and noticed a huge Russian population living here. It seems like everywhere I go, the park, the grocery store etc. the majority of the people are speaking Russian...especially Walden and Heather Farms parks. On my street alone, there are probably 5 or 6 Russian families.

Is this a recent phenomenon, or has there always been a large Russian population living here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,258,650 times
I grew up in WC, and I never noticed any Russians. However, I know a lot of Russians have moved to CA since the early 1990s, as I see them in SF and LA. But still, when I see family in WC and go around town, I'd say I've heard Russian maybe once in the past year. It's definitely not known as being a Russian area at all, and I find it unlikely that the "majority of people" in the grocery store are Russian! It's pretty much a white American suburb. You probably live on a particularly Russian street; people do like to cluster around each other based on language and culture.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:39 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
I grew up in WC too and I never noticed any large Russian influence. I knew maybe one or two large Russian families, their garage was filled with every size of Smirnoff bottle imaginable . Maybe more families have come to the area recently.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:01 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
I actually have noticed that-not only in WC but all over the Bay Area(I drive a lot for my work)

Oh well, the more the merrier I say.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:47 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,868 times
Haven't noticed a large migration of Russians to WC. But like 18Montclair notice them throughout the bay area and would say they are more noticeable in Southern CA than the bay. There are more Persians in WC that I notice.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:39 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,072,505 times
Well I did drive through WC recently. Maybe you just heard me talking on my cell phone?

Old 05-20-2009, 05:06 PM

8 posts, read 30,580 times
There is a definite Russian presence in WC; not "huge", but it is there. I found a statistic from 2002 stating that 58 English learners were enrolled in WCSD who used Russian as their first language (out of a district student population of around 2300). So about 2.5 percent and probably growing, plus others whose parents speak Russian but the children already speak English fluently.

Most are concentrated near downtown, and probably the highest number of children attend Buena Vista Elementary.

Demographically speaking, it would make sense for WC to be a choice suburban destination for Russian immigrants. It is large and diverse enough that one could "blend in" somewhat, but not an overwhelming place to raise a child, like San Francisco or Oakland. There is a large supply of apartments for rent from where one could still send their child to a very well-regarded school in a very well-regarded district. Not many places in the Bay Area can boast that combination.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:49 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
^now that I think about it, I do remember there being kids at my school when I was younger that were Russian immigrants. They were kind of quiet and had their own little small group of Russians, I guess I just didn't notice them too much. But there was definitely a Russian group/click at Las Lomas High School.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:57 AM

Well the 2 parks near my house are filled with russian speaking families, along with all of the local shopping places. I have no issue with it, but I was just curious if I moved into a burgeoning mini St. Petersburg or something like that. I dont notice them in Danville, Lafayette, Concord or other surrounding areas...just Walnut Creek.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:18 AM

Well I just found out from the several russians working at a salon I visited that many moved here within the past 10 years for software programming jobs. They settled in Walnut Creek because they have some organization based there that helps settle them once they get here. It is a very recent immigrationm which is why the other poster probably doesnt know about it if they havent been to the area recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland