Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 02:19 PM

85 posts, read 567,105 times

Advertisements

Why does everbody living in San Francisco think it is a great place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2006, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 30,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl
Because it is. San Francisco is a world class city and one of the best and the most beautiful in the world. It is the most liberal city in the USA, it is culturally diverse with huge asian, latino, filipino, and black communities. I myself was raised as a child in the bayview/hunter's point district of town before moving to the north bay.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:04 PM

167 posts, read 598,743 times
It really is a great city. So much to do, almost anything you can think of, fantastic food, etc... however, it is extremley expensive and it is also cold. I hate the fog. I was born and raised in SF and the northern bay area, Sonoma county. I love it here and yet cannot afford to buy a home here. You really need to have lots of money to enjoy this area. There are no homes under $200 and a few maybe under 300$.
If you have money by all means come on out here!

Old 07-06-2006, 01:45 PM

170 posts, read 473,945 times
I dont think its such a great city. I used to till I moved to the area. Its vastly overpriced, its crime ridden, and there is no where to park. Its too expensive to shop here and to extreme politically, although I can live with that. They also hate everything L.A even though L.A. people love the area.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:40 PM

186 posts, read 835,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl
It is in my opinion the best city in the United States.

It is very beautiful and well laid out. World Class culture (disticnt ethnic groups, distinct neighborhoods, endless festivals and cultural events, community organization for everything, social recreational organizatoins). There tons of unique and fun shops not found anywhere else. The population is educated, active, eclectic, and diverse. There are so many art events, artists, underground musicians, poets. The restaurants here are second to none. The layout is unique. The Night Life is crazy as well as unique with an offering of a little bit of everything. Check out sfgate and more specifially the 96hours weekend event guide to get a taste. SF just has it all. The hills create all kinds of vistas and a charm that is only found in Europe. You can sample all of SF very easily as it is only 49 square miles. There is so much history and preserved areas, it is crazy. Many parts of the city feel very nature like (golden gate park, the beach areas, the presidio and lincoln ave by the golden gate, the marina, etc.). The sorrounding areas of Marin and SM country are awesome (bodega bay, muir woods, pacifica, half moon bay, tiburon, sausalito).

SF has all the world class offerings of chicago and LA with less size and bloat. SF is far safer, less smoggy, and much more accessible and unpretentious than LA. It is also far FAR FAR more unique, and beautiful. The economy in the sorrounding area is good, there are tons of brilliant young professionals and entreprenuers in the area. Chicago is great, but a little too large, worse crime, less picturesque and unique (but still world class), and the weather in chicago is God awful.

Anyhow, that is why I love SF.

SF makes so many cities in the US seem boring, uneducated, uneventful, not-unique, etc.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:44 PM

186 posts, read 835,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarg
I dont think its such a great city. I used to till I moved to the area. Its vastly overpriced, its crime ridden, and there is no where to park. Its too expensive to shop here and to extreme politically, although I can live with that. They also hate everything L.A even though L.A. people love the area.
First off, the shops are expensive because they have valuable things. If you want cheap chinese knock offs, go to the same ole target or walmart that they have everywhere (including alabama). If you know where to look, you can find reasonably priced shops in the city, but the city has truly unique stuff and it sometimes comes at a price. SF is expensive, and that is just the way it is. If you can afford it, it is excellent, if you cant, oh well. I dont understand the crime you speak of. Yes, crime happens, but not at an alarming rate for a city of this stature.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:54 PM

2 posts, read 14,084 times
There is always something to do,even tons of free stuff on weekends. Great parks, vista everywhere that are breathtaking. The natural lighting is amazing almost everwhere you go. It lights up where you are and the colors are fresh and chrisp.The air from the ocean and bay is fresh and sometimes you can smell all of he plants from the trees and parks. It changes from day to day and when it does it looks different and there are new things to see that you didn't see last time. Under the GG bridge is a wild life preserve with tall grasses and you can walk from there and go under the bridge. You can even ride a bike most anywhere. The art is great as are the symphony,concerts, in GG park. You can spend any weekend day at GG park, play softball, barbeque, or visit one of the public gardens, the aquarium or see a new presentation of a local or world famous art collection. The hills are great too. Try driving over town and you will see what I mean.
It's not rigid, the many cultures make it interesting and everyone just talks to each other . I lived in China Town over the Broadway Tunnel for the first 5 years I live there and my neighbors were great.
It has a spirit.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,629 times
I live in SF because of job and I really hate it
Hey guys, who is saying about a world class city, do you mean Third World city?
Housing is just terrible in SF, old charm buildings are full of mold, no a/c, no washer/dryers, new condos are just tiny,
crime, people are smoking weed,
you have to pay 9.3% extra tax to support some losers, not to get new roads, roads are terrible in SF.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:44 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,992,843 times
Default Because it is a great city to live in

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl View Post
I lived in San Francisco for nine years and though I hated not having a place to park, not having a washer/dryer and having to use a neighborhood laundry mat, and the lack of sufficient large supermarkets, it was still a great experience. Yes, I was poor as a church mouse, but I still managed to scrape enough to enjoy the dark-roast coffee in the coffee shops ( I love San Francisco's many varied coffee shops and have never found coffee as good as San Francisco's, not even Seattle compares in my humble opinion). I like the wide variety of Asian, Indian, French, Moroccan, etc. restaurants (often very inexpensive too), and the second hand bookstores like The Green Apple in the Richmond, and there was another I really liked at 9th Ave. where the MUNI train winds by on it's way toward UCSF (can't remember the name, it's been nine years since I left SF). I would grab a blanket and make a sandwich and go to the free concerts like "Opera in the Park" in Golden Gate Park where world famous opera singers sing for free. Or I'd go watch the San Francisco Ballet give free outdoor performances in that outdoor stadium in the Eucalyptus thicket near SFSU off 19th Ave. Or, I'd climb around the Cliff House and back up on the cliffs overlooking the Golden Gate and watch the sailboats and ships, or, walk around Union Street checking out the cool shops, or head to Chinatown or Little Italy, or even hang out with the tourists in the Wharf area and just absorb the ambience. San Francisco has a brisk air, and though it can be chilly, it's very walkable and pedestrian friendly. I wouldn't live there now as it doesn't fit my lifestyle any longer, but it was perfect for me as a young adult going to SFSU and trying to start my career. There was much I didn't like, like MUNI trains, which often were so crowded that the body heat would make me pour sweat in rivelets and were often breaking down at 19th Ave or Sunset meaning we had to get off and walk the rest of the way home. It wasn't dependable. The panhandling irritates as well. I never paid attention to the politics. I'm pretty conservative and I just didn't think enough of SF politics to worry about it. San Francisco likes to think it's important to the USA, but it's not. Much of corporate America has fled the high taxes and city taxes/levies/restrictions. It's not business friendly, so many good jobs have left SF. But, it's still beautiful and still exciting.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:16 AM

359 posts, read 1,313,305 times
Default are YOU a loon?

people are smoking weed? (skkkiiiiirrrrrttt) lol, I'm sorry but what a dumb comment to add to your list of displeasures about SF. People are smoking WEED?! Oh we really got to get out of this city because HERE people smoke weed! Would someone PLEASE tell me a city I can move to where people DON'T smoke weed? lol What a loony comment! By the way I love SF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_new View Post
I live in SF because of job and I really hate it
Hey guys, who is saying about a world class city, do you mean Third World city?
Housing is just terrible in SF, old charm buildings are full of mold, no a/c, no washer/dryers, new condos are just tiny,
crime, people are smoking weed,
you have to pay 9.3% extra tax to support some losers, not to get new roads, roads are terrible in SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland