Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:14 PM

3,980 posts, read 9,005,348 times

Advertisements

I think there is truth in what everyone is saying here.. Naturally gifted children WILL succeed whether or not they go to a "10" school. BUT, your child will have a better chance and might be better prepared and equipped if he's in a "10" school for college. I wouldn't rule out an area if the school is considered pretty good, the children like to wake up in the mornings to go, the teachers like teaching etc. There's a lot to consider especially when there are so many children where English is a second language or the parents cannot afford to buy the glue sticks/crayons/computers that seems to be required now days with all the educational budget cuts happening.

I am one of the fortunate people that have their children attend one of those "excellent, 10" schools in one of those expensive areas. The plus side to all of this is that I have a very smart kid, and another child that has some special needs. I feel that both of my children are getting the extra help that they need. The community here (because of "higher standards" and wealthier families) actually have paid out of their own pockets for art teachers and science classes etc. I don't have to pay for a private school (which I did in SF) so in many ways, I think that it's a good deal overall. I wish that all schools in the Bay Area were able to equip the schools with what my children have, but sadly it does boil down to public funding and wealth.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:25 PM

373 posts, read 1,172,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
This is hardly a CA-specific problem.
True, but the disparity between school districts seem more pronounced here than other states.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,811,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrflymama View Post
Where is all this hyper-parenting taking place in the Bay Area? Doesn't sound good to me.
I personally know of two families that recently sold VERY nice homes solely because they will have children starting school next year.

One sold for 1.2 million Oakland home and moved to Orinda

The other cut their asking price to 900k and sold the very nice Kensington home and moved to Piedmont.

The ONLY reason was each family has two children with the oldest in both families starting school next fall.

Head/Royce was considered as an alternative... it can easily run 50k per year to have two kids attend this private school on Lincoln Ave in Oakland.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:47 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,328,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzt83 View Post
True, but the disparity between school districts seem more pronounced here than other states.
I think it's because here in the Bay Area there is less of a middle class. I swear, more and more I see rich people and I see poor people. The small amount of middle class I see is spending everything and more trying to keep up or have gotten in way over their heads and crashed and burned already into poverty.

When I grew up (in the late Jurassic era ) there was more a Bell curve on wealth -- not a lot of poor, way lots of middle class, and not a lot of rich... now I'd bet it's a camel curve -- with two humps....

Old 04-01-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I think it's because here in the Bay Area there is less of a middle class. I swear, more and more I see rich people and I see poor people. The small amount of middle class I see is spending everything and more trying to keep up or have gotten in way over their heads and crashed and burned already into poverty.

When I grew up (in the late Jurassic era ) there was more a Bell curve on wealth -- not a lot of poor, way lots of middle class, and not a lot of rich... now I'd bet it's a camel curve -- with two humps....

According to this income chart of the Bay Area, the income distribution isn't even bimodal like the US is, it's actually skewed to the left with the largest income bracket being those making $100,000 - $150,000 a year. The income levels gradually decline for the number of people in the lower income brackets, so the next highest bracket is 75k to 100k, the next highest is 60k - 75k and down to 10k or less.

File:SF vs US Income.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-01-2009, 10:58 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,175,189 times
Not sure what is value of "good" pre-college schools...

Know lots of smart, wealthy, <40yo guys in SV and NYC who are alums of univs like Stanford and Harvard, despite attending various mediocre public schools in suburbs all over US

Disagree about the alleged wealth maldistribution conclusions, no matter what commies claim

Pre-SiliconValley, in '70s, most Stanford-educated engineers were more poorly paid than most UAW auto workers in MI or OH (and had less job security)....many of wealthiest guys in SV today are relatively young engineers or financiers who were raised in middle-income suburbs somewhere (sometimes kids of immigrants), but attended leading colleges and were successful in highly competitive industries...IMO, SV best exemplifies upward mobility of smart, hard-working young people

Old 04-01-2009, 11:11 PM

113 posts, read 343,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I think it's because here in the Bay Area there is less of a middle class. I swear, more and more I see rich people and I see poor people.
I agree 100%.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post

Know lots of smart, wealthy, <40yo guys in SV and NYC who are alums of univs like Stanford and Harvard, despite attending various mediocre public schools in suburbs all over US

Disagree about the alleged wealth maldistribution conclusions, no matter what commies claim

Pre-SiliconValley, in '70s, most Stanford-educated engineers were more poorly paid than most UAW auto workers in MI or OH (and had less job security)....many of wealthiest guys in SV today are relatively young engineers or financiers who were raised in middle-income suburbs somewhere (sometimes kids of immigrants), but attended leading colleges and were successful in highly competitive industries...IMO, SV best exemplifies upward mobility of smart, hard-working young people
But the middle class schools elsewhere tend to provide better education than the middle class schools in CA.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:04 AM

3,980 posts, read 9,005,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post

Good "pre-college" high schools tend to have a range of AP classes (higher level i.e. more challenging). Also, more opportunity for extracurricular opportunities like the Drama club, or good sports programs. Most of the times these schools are in wealthy areas because there is huge support from the community and the drop-out rate is close to nil.

A relative of mine works in the admissions dept. at Stanford. When they are looking to admit a student, many times a high school with an excellent reputation will get the applicant noticed..just like if you see a graduate of "Harvard" or whatever on a job resume.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,032,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
This is hardly a CA-specific problem.

Exactly. No one is saying that a kid at the crappiest school in Oakland can't get into college, but the odds are pretty high that it won't happen. Good schools have the good teachers and good tools and good facilities to promote success; bad schools don't. That's why they are bad.
I agree with you to a point: I think many inter-city kids suffer from lack of discipline at home so the teachers have to spend too much time handling the students, often leaving little time to teach. add to that the lack of desire, and the poor school atmosphere..Those who want to achieve are sometimes held back because nobody has the time for them..

My comments earlier were more related to middle income schools is the burbs versus top schools.

Someone mentioned how Stanford looks at applicates, the thing too many are fogetting 90% of the kids who are going onto college are not going to Stanford, Havard or even Berkeley. Too many parent what the prestigue of saying "my little Johnny is headed to Yale"

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland