Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:24 PM

805 posts, read 2,002,492 times

Advertisements

Well, in 2 months I am headed with my wife and 7 month old son to Travis AFB from Sheppard AFB in Texas
I am orginally from Phoenix, AZ (spent most of my life there) and have also spent a small amount of time in Orange County CA( which i have no doubt is completely different than up north.).

anyways, its tough looking for places to rent online, and get a feel for areas/towns. As well as how gruesome the daily commute may be

I'm guessing that Vacaville is the cheapest of the 3? and Benicia is the Farthest from base, i've also heard some rumors that vallejo is ghetto? never heard that til recently however... Which one has in your opinions the laid back/urban feel? I'm used to being in newer parts of town, My wife and I are 22 years old. So definetly looking for some entertainment and people near our age. Being closer to the bay would be nice, which is why we were thinking benicia or vallejo. But again, not ruling out vacaville. Especially if it is safer/nicer, or just an overall better rental area price wise.

My wife likes cute townhouses/cottages/condos...wood, brick. whatever. We're looking for 2-3 bedrooms and at least a 1 car garage if possible.
It would be awesome if anyone knew what community is shown in the picture at the top of the link i posted...also if it is an on or off base community
http://travisafbhousing.com/index.php

Thanks in advance for your help...oh and if you have any other recommendations for places to look feel free to chime in!!!

Last edited by enigmadsm; 02-01-2009 at 12:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 12:00 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,099,368 times
Vallejo and Fairfield are both definitely ghetto in some parts. I wouldn't live in either unless I were living in a richy area of both and since I am sure I can't afford, I wouldn't even contemplate it. I live in Vacaville and it's great for what I need - most importantly, it's extremely safe and all of my amenities are in one place. It's also pretty cheap. There are alot of cute houses there that I could definitely settle in. I don't have much experience with Benicia or Martinez yet I know you have to travel across a toll bridge to get from Benicia/Martinez to where you're going so that's $4 everyday - something you might want to avoid if you could.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:17 AM

thanks for the help...it seems i hear more good things about vacaville everyday

Old 02-01-2009, 08:53 PM

106 posts, read 581,700 times
Benicia is definitely the "cutest" but generally the most expensive. Vallejo actually has some gentrification-ish townhomes near the waterfront, but many neighborhoods are iffy. Both are too far to commute to Travis for my taste, however--I-80 traffic is bad, so I would not recommend either. Your choices in my view are Fairfield, Vacaville, and the base itself. The commute from within Fairfield is the closest, but some areas are definitely rough. But the housing bubble hit the area hard, so maybe you can snag a bargain home in one of the nicer parts of town. Vacaville has fewer "bad" neighborhoods, but not much "cute" or even overly "nice" about it either imho. Your best move may be base housing, at least at first until you figure out what you'd like. Actually, Solano County is somewhat like a mini-Orange County, in that much of Solano is run-of-the-mill housing tracts--think of a Fullerton or slightly upscale Anaheim, with stretches of not-quite-as-bad as Santa Ana, and spots of tony Newport Beach....except no beach and occasional rain November through March. Forget about running into SF for jollies very often...you'll tire of the traffic real soon. But you'll find a pleasant enough life there, just dont' expect too much different a life than in southern California.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:04 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,357,697 times
I wouldn't go with Vacaville. It's fringe rural culture and gets really hot.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:52 PM

216 posts, read 910,322 times
We have been looking at the different areas as well (moving in the spring), and we are seriously considering Benicia! Great place to raise a family, great schools, low crime, and very pretty! Not sure if the commute would be too hard though. Hubby will be working in Fairfield, but working nights, so it will not be hard for him. You do not have to cross the bridge though??

Old 02-02-2009, 10:14 PM

358 posts, read 1,037,560 times
What is Benicia like in terms of restaurants and independent shops? On the map, it looks a bit isolated and cut off by the highways. Is Benicia a "one grocery store and one gas station town"?

Old 02-03-2009, 04:37 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,633,742 times
I'm wondering why people dismiss Vallejo as a complete ghetto. Vallejo has some beautiful homes and neighborhoods. There are also some huge $$ reductions there now. I would look in Vallejo and Vacaville. I can't say too much for Fairfield as I have only stopped at the mall. ;-)

Old 02-03-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie guy View Post
Benicia is definitely the "cutest" but generally the most expensive. Vallejo actually has some gentrification-ish townhomes near the waterfront, but many neighborhoods are iffy. Both are too far to commute to Travis for my taste, however--I-80 traffic is bad, so I would not recommend either. Your choices in my view are Fairfield, Vacaville, and the base itself. The commute from within Fairfield is the closest, but some areas are definitely rough. But the housing bubble hit the area hard, so maybe you can snag a bargain home in one of the nicer parts of town. Vacaville has fewer "bad" neighborhoods, but not much "cute" or even overly "nice" about it either imho. Your best move may be base housing, at least at first until you figure out what you'd like. Actually, Solano County is somewhat like a mini-Orange County, in that much of Solano is run-of-the-mill housing tracts--think of a Fullerton or slightly upscale Anaheim, with stretches of not-quite-as-bad as Santa Ana, and spots of tony Newport Beach....except no beach and occasional rain November through March. Forget about running into SF for jollies very often...you'll tire of the traffic real soon. But you'll find a pleasant enough life there, just dont' expect too much different a life than in southern California.

about how far is solano county? and what towns specificall? or is that the actual name of the town?

thanks

Old 02-03-2009, 06:21 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,050,665 times
Cool Vallejo....

I visited Vallejo last December...... and prior to my trip I had also read about its reputation. In fact, I even posted a Thread here asking if my motel was in a safe neighborhood

Well, although there might be some run-down areas (I never actually saw any) I was quite impressed with the cleanliness of Vallejo and the many, many nice homes ! If you happen to be in downtown Vallejo........ check out Gracie's BBQ restaurant for excellent comfort food. We liked it so much - we ate there three days in a row
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland