Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:14 AM

358 posts, read 1,037,428 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a city in the Bay Area that has a nice "neighborhoody" feel to it. Somewhere we can walk to small restaurants and other mom and pop stores. Someplace that has parks and playgrounds for the kids. We love parts of Berkeley, but even in the recent housing slump, the prices remain well out of reach. Will we find anything similar in San Leandro or Hayward? And if not, are there other nearby cities where we can find an environment similar to Berkeley at a (slightly) lower cost?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 12:34 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,161,273 times
San Leandro and Hayward are not what you're looking for. Alameda might strike closer to your ideal.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:55 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeixeGato View Post
I am looking for a city in the Bay Area that has a nice "neighborhoody" feel to it. Somewhere we can walk to small restaurants and other mom and pop stores. Someplace that has parks and playgrounds for the kids. We love parts of Berkeley, but even in the recent housing slump, the prices remain well out of reach. Will we find anything similar in San Leandro or Hayward? And if not, are there other nearby cities where we can find an environment similar to Berkeley at a (slightly) lower cost?

Thanks.
Alameda, Lafayette, Orinda, Walnut Creek, Pleasanton, Danville, Castro Valley, Parts of Oakland.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:45 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,291,338 times
I'd recommend, Alameda, Oakland, El Cerrito,. All the inner East bay cities like Orinda etc are very suburban and nothing like Berkeley at all.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
I'd recommend, Alameda, Oakland, El Cerrito,. All the inner East bay cities like Orinda etc are very suburban and nothing like Berkeley at all.
Thanks. That's what I had figured about the inner east bay places like Walnut Creek. Besides, many of those areas are just as expensive as Berkeley and are MUCH further from the City.

I'll have to check out Alameda and El Cerrito. I know about Solano Ave, but haven't spent much time in El Cerrito otherwise. And I've never been to Alameda, so we'll definitely have to take a look around.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:09 PM

Are there any areas of Alameda I should steer clear of? Or on the flip side, any areas that I should concentrate on?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:10 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,161,273 times
Quote:
Are there any areas of Alameda I should steer clear of? Or on the flip side, any areas that I should concentrate on?
I'm not aware of any bad parts of Alameda. Some bad apartment complexes maybe, but if you're looking to a buy a property it would be hard to go wrong with all the lovely victorians and bayfront condos. Some areas are more desirable than others, and even the simplest curbside examination should tell you which ones those are.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:40 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I'm not aware of any bad parts of Alameda. Some bad apartment complexes maybe, but if you're looking to a buy a property it would be hard to go wrong with all the lovely victorians and bayfront condos. Some areas are more desirable than others, and even the simplest curbside examination should tell you which ones those are.
Though it's not a bad area crime wise Alameda's Bay Farm Island ( I think that's what it's called) is awful. Very industrial 70's housing, they all look alike and they all seem to be painted that gawd-awful grey dead color... at least the part I always seem to find myself in...

Old 11-25-2008, 01:29 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,013,417 times
I recommend Alameda too... El Cerrito is kinda just icky...Albany seems like a better fit for you (and it shares Solano Ave) and the schools are WAY better than El Cerrito.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:46 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,483 times
Quote:
Thanks. That's what I had figured about the inner east bay places like Walnut Creek. Besides, many of those areas are just as expensive as Berkeley and are MUCH further from the City.

I'll have to check out Alameda and El Cerrito. I know about Solano Ave, but haven't spent much time in El Cerrito otherwise. And I've never been to Alameda, so we'll definitely have to take a look around.
All cities i mentioned have downtowns that you can walk to that are worth walking to. They are safe but not as eclectic as Berkeley. Depends on what part of Berkeley you like?
Elmwood?
MLK?
Just depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland