Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:10 PM

5 posts, read 31,839 times

Advertisements

hello, my fiancé and i may be moving to the bay area from nyc in march. i have only been on 2 short visits to sf and he has never been there. he may have a job in oakland, about a mile from the airport/BART. it is a bit far to walk, so he'll have to get his driver's license (he's a native manhattanite and never driven!). how is commuting to there from berkeley?
berkeley looks wonderful. i just don't know anything about oakland or its surrounding areas...are there nice walkable areas there? how is housing there vs. berkeley?
we're looking to pay about $1500-1900 for a house or condo, with backyard space and maybe even a pool.
anything you can give me would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 02:32 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
Berkeley and Oakland have nice and rough parts. Downtown Oakland around the lake is really nice, the Oakland hills nice. Parts of North Oakland Nice. East Oakland is rough, West Oakland rough, Bushrod Area of North Oakland Rough. Most of berkeley is nice but like oakland expensive. South Berkeley/North Oakland Border is pretty rough. I dont think you'll find anything with a backyard or pool for your prices. The Bay area is like Manhatten. Over priced.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:51 PM

ok thank you. i read that lake merritt is nice too. possibly there, berkeley, or in SF, though i have no clue where yet.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:05 AM

10 posts, read 56,122 times
Berkeley, hands-down! Oakland Hills are nice, but honestly, if you plan on having children, Oakland schools are very low-ranking...and Oakland in general has one of the largest homocide rates in the world. West Oakland, East Oakland, all bad areas.
Berkeley has it's bad areas too, but for the most part, it's a college town and it's safer and prettier than Oakland. If you can afford it, buy a house in Berkeley Hills (warning: prices are $900,000+). You will find it breath-taking (but get homeowner's insurance...hill fires have eaten dozens of homes) and just so beautiful. Albany is also nice as well.
I just think, if you want to start new with your loved one and have children, Oakland isn't the place.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:29 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
"job in oakland, about a mile from the airport/BART. it is a bit far to walk,"

Yeah, especially if you don't want to get shot. Seriously- no one would EVER consider walking a mile anywhere in Oakland (outside the hills) unless you had a deathwish.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:37 PM

10 posts, read 56,122 times
Forgot to mention, try Alameda....it's safe, pretty, the schools are good, it's bordered with Oakland. Probably your best bet...if you do choose Berkeley however, you will learn to REALLY hate I-80!!! TRUST ME!

Old 02-11-2007, 09:29 PM

thank you very much for your help!
i was thinking alameda as well, but it's a problem if the BART doesn't stop there. we don't want to have to rely on buses or a car all the time.

another question: how hard is it getting an apartment in san francisco? in new york, you have to be ON it if you're not going through a broker. you have to literally call as soon as you see the ad, go see the place that day and hand over your money. the competition is ridiculous. will we have an easy enough time securing a place to live from new york? we're really trying to rent through the owner, instead of paying broker fees if at all possible.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:30 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
I never had a problem getting an apartment in SF. It depends on how much you are willing to pay.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:34 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post

Yeah, especially if you don't want to get shot. Seriously- no one would EVER consider walking a mile anywhere in Oakland (outside the hills) unless you had a deathwish.
I'd not only consider it, I've done it. Over a thousand times, back and forth to the BART station in Fruitvale. Near the airport, or near the Coliseum, you're right that it's a war zone...gotta watch yourself even in the day time.

There's other places that are marginal...but I never got bothered much. I always used to buy incense from those guys on the street, maybe it's Karma. I took BART everywhere...and then, I'd walk. I had this gig in Richmond, which is supposed to be scary. Didn't seem so to me.

But Oaktown is alright. I'd take it over Berkeley any day. I prefer gangbangers to rich foofy fruitcakes any day of the week. Way back when, when I was a yuppie with a Dayrunner who used hairspray, I might have felt differently.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:09 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post

LOL dont listen to this. This guy thinks concord is a rough town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland