Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:44 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,240,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Heck, my roommate takes home about $12K a year (after taxes and child support garnishing), and she's surviving! Of course that's mostly thanks to me, since I only charge her $600/month in rent, and rarely ask for a utilities contribution... she also works at a grocery store, so she gets free food all the time. But hey, if she can make things work on that small amount, I think anyone can live here on $50K.
Yeah, it's definitely doable. People really play up the "SF is too expensive" thing, but tons of people live here on low wages. It all just depends on looking around and finding good deals pretty much...they're out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley44mag
Depends on what you consider livable. If you are a tough guy its pleanty, if you are a wuss you could not live here for less than 200k a year. Ripley
Haha, Yeah to a certain extent that's true. Most neighborhoods where you can live without much money tend to be on the sketchier side, so the more grit you can handle the better you'll do I guess. There are hoods that are pretty cheap, but nice and safe too though, like the sunset.

One thing for sure though, is while living in SF on $50,000 (or way less) is more than doable, if you want more bang for your buck there are lot and lots of places where you can get it...but I guess that's the price you gotta pay for living in SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 07:15 AM

486 posts, read 982,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
If you're looking for a true big city experience, the only city in the country where you can comfortably afford it on $50,000 a year would be Chicago.

You could live comfortably in Dallas or Atlanta on $50,000.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:43 AM

4 posts, read 24,580 times
Default From the horse's mouth

I am amazed at these responses. Maybe that is because I am 28, living on $48,000/yr, and I'm doing just fine in San Francisco.

The key? Ditch the car. Commute with transit and get ZipCar or CityCarShare if you need a car from time to time. If you move to a central, middle-income neighborhood - Lower Nob Hill, Mission, Polk Street and Inner Sunset come to mind - you can get a decent studio for under $1200. And you will be close to transit. I pay $1000 for a tiny studio on Post x Jones and it's a ten minute walk to the MUNI train and BART, and two blocks from Union Square. This is not some rent-control miracle, I haven't even finished the first year's lease yet.

Cars take away from your quality of life in a dense city, they don't add to it. If you think you will end up working in Silicon Valley you should keep in mind proximity to BART (regional transit line). If you feel you must keep the car, despite the million good reasons not to, you should reconsider moving to SF. Even with a small, cheap studio in a borderline neighborhood you will struggle to pay for rent, parking, plus your normal car expenses. A parking spot can cost you from $150-$300/mo, gas in SF is among the highest in the nation, and street parking is like a repetitive, expensive nightmare from which you never wake.

One last thought - affordable neighborhoods in SF are gritty, but not dangerous. Well, the Mission might be dangerous. But the fringes of the Tenderloin (Tenderloin Heights, Tendernob, Lower Nob Hill, Little Saigon, Polk Village) are a good compromise of grittiness and cost. The Inner Sunset and Inner Richmond are remarkably safe but farther from downtown and have scarcer transit options. Parts of Haight and Hayes Valley can be affordable and close to transit. And keep in mind that apartment hunting in SF can be rough and competitive. At $50k and assuming good credit you should be a shoe-in.

In short, you can live comfortably in SF on under $50k/yr, and I am living proof.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:59 PM

14 posts, read 70,261 times
wow, the ways people would adjust their lifestyles just to live in San Francisco, amazing.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:55 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,186,626 times
No kidding. You can live comfortably in San Francisco on $50,000 a year. After all, who wouldn't be comfortable in a tiny studio in a gritty neighborhood with out a car. The mortgage on my 2 bedroom, though admittedly small and older, condo in an inner suburb of Chicago is almost half the price of a tiny studio out there. Why aren't more people flocking to California? There are some attractive neighborhoods in Chicago where you can get a spacious one or even two bedroom apartment for $1000 a month.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:52 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,193 times
If you get by without buying a new car every year and don't need the latest/coolest/trendiest cell phone, you can do just fine. If you can't survive without all the "look at me" gadgets, $50K won't be enough.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:04 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,193 times
Quote:
No kidding. You can live comfortably in San Francisco on $50,000 a year. After all, who wouldn't be comfortable in a tiny studio in a gritty neighborhood with out a car. The mortgage on my 2 bedroom, though admittedly small and older, condo in an inner suburb of Chicago is almost half the price of a tiny studio out there. Why aren't more people flocking to California? There are some attractive neighborhoods in Chicago where you can get a spacious one or even two bedroom apartment for $1000 a month.
Not meaning to hijack the thread but could you please explain the disorder of many residents of Chicago that compels them to compare their nifty flyover winter wonderland to California cities? It seems like every thread in the California forum has at least one Chicago person comparing. We don't care about Chicago so why do you care so much about us?

Old 09-12-2008, 12:08 AM

655 posts, read 1,984,279 times
I do think it's interesting that people presume living without a car and in a gritty neighborhood must be "adjusting your lifestyle." I think this may be a "to each his own" situation. I live in a somewhat gritty neighborhood without a car, and have spent my entire adult life doing that in various cities---not because I have to, but because I like it. I hate driving, am terrible at parallel parking, and just generally don't want to have to worry about a car. I've turned down higher-paying jobs on several occasions because they required car commutes. And I like living in a neighborhood where there are art galleries tucked here and there, lots of hole-in-the-wall ethnic restaurants, diverse sets of families, etc. Don't get me wrong---I like hanging out in yuppier neighborhoods too, and wouldn't say no to a free apartment there, but I see no reason to pay a premium for it if I'm equally happy to live in my 'hood with much more space and a yard and a little grit. I eat out when I want to, buy the things I need, etc. So yes, it's definitely do-able on under $50K as long as you don't *need* to live in the poshest area and eat in the four-star restaurants daily. If you do, you need to find a better-paying job regardless of where you live, and your money will go farther if you move to a cheaper city.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:29 AM

655 posts, read 2,183,955 times
I'm a little disgusted that so many people are acting like living in small quarters in a city is completely beneath them.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:39 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
No kidding. You can live comfortably in San Francisco on $50,000 a year. After all, who wouldn't be comfortable in a tiny studio in a gritty neighborhood with out a car.
That's not the only way to do it, it's just how some people manage here. I, on the other hand, live in a beautiful 3-bedroom HOUSE with a car... I swing that by having 2 roommates to share expenses (bringing my rent to only $899/mo), and living in the "less desirable" part of town. I don't even have to pay for parking, since we have both a garage and driveway, and this neighborhood has plenty of - free - street parking too. Unfortunately I have to be dependent on a car, because of where I live & work (no access to BART or trains), and my frequent visits to family in the south bay. Anyway, this is just another example of "adjusting your lifestyle" to live in SF, but I don't think I'm sacrificing all that much.

P.S. While my neighborhood isn't the most desirable, it's actually quite nice... safe, clean, and pretty darned quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland