Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:32 PM

67 posts, read 159,456 times

Advertisements

My wife & I are thinking of relocating West when I retire, in about a year. We lived in Marin about 10 yr ago and though we liked the scenery, we found the cost excessive and transportation options poor. We would love to have the cultural, climate, and scenic attractions of the Bay Area. Investigating Alameda, it seems like a nice location that we might afford.

I notice Alameda is very close to Oakland International Airport. I am wondering, is air noise a factor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 08:05 PM

323 posts, read 1,426,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NC View Post
My wife & I are thinking of relocating West when I retire, in about a year. We lived in Marin about 10 yr ago and though we liked the scenery, we found the cost excessive and transportation options poor. We would love to have the cultural, climate, and scenic attractions of the Bay Area. Investigating Alameda, it seems like a nice location that we might afford.

I notice Alameda is very close to Oakland International Airport. I am wondering, is air noise a factor?
You can probably look at the Gold Coast area if you're worried about proximity to the airport.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:53 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:

Yes, the incoming flight path for OAK goes straight over Alameda. Outbound traffic goes south over the water before turning to go to its ultimate destination. Most of the noise pollution is restricted to Bay Farm Island. But a lot of funding has been put into soundproofing for properties affected by OAK and other airports' air traffic in the Bay Area over the years, so I really would not worry. My apartment in the SFO flightpath has the thickest windows I've ever seen - it wouldn't surprise me if they stopped a bullet!

Old 05-15-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevcy View Post
You can probably look at the Gold Coast area if you're worried about proximity to the airport.
Thanks, not sure what that area is. Can you give street names?

Old 05-15-2008, 10:05 PM

21 posts, read 58,619 times
The Gold Coast is the area around Grand Street in Alameda... There are some beautiful (and expensive) houses there.

I used to live nearby, and planes weren't a problem at all.... As long as you're on the main island (94501) you won't really notice... Bay Farm Island (94502) may hear planes - it's very close to OAK - but I'm not sure...

Old 05-15-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Yes, the incoming flight path for OAK goes straight over Alameda. ... Most of the noise pollution is restricted to Bay Farm Island. But a lot of funding has been put into soundproofing for properties affected by OAK and other airports' air traffic in the Bay Area over the years, so I really would not worry. My apartment in the SFO flightpath has the thickest windows I've ever seen - it wouldn't surprise me if they stopped a bullet!
Thanks for the info -- it helps. By "funding," do you mean that public funding is available to homeowners?

We'll have to schedule a trip out there and take a look around.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:16 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info -- it helps. By "funding," do you mean that public funding is available to homeowners?
Yes, intermittently. They'll designate an affected zone that gets noise levels over 65 dB, set aside some money, and open up applications. I haven't been through the process myself, since I'm a renter, but I appreciate the results every night when I lay down to go to sleep. And we get inbound and outbound planes here, all night long..

For what it's worth, I was looking at an apartment complex at Webster and Central once. I was there over an hour and didn't hear any planes.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:02 AM

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks to all who posted. Your useful information is much appreciated!

Old 05-17-2008, 12:05 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,046 times
Having lived on the main island of Alameda (middle of the island near the hospital) for 10 years or so, I never noticed air traffic/noise at all. I moved to the Bay Farm/Harbor Bay area of Alameda (next to the Oakland airport) for one year, and it was night and day - you could not not notice the air traffic and noise, not to mention the soot/dust covering everything from the exhaust.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:32 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,698 times
What is Alameda like? I love the beautiful homes, and the fact its an island, but are there a lot of businesses, and is it walkable? Or is it just a sleepy suburb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland