Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,662 times

Advertisements

I found a home in the Oakland Hills that I really liked with a great price, talked with the seller, and he really wants my husband and I to purchase the house. I said that we would get back to him to do some decision making.

We are not familiar with Oakland. I’ve heard the typical stereotypes of it being “ghetto” and unsafe, but I have heard positive things about the Oakland Hills and it seems nice (from what I know). Also for some background, the home is in the Forestland area near Oakland Fire Station Number 6.

Would you recommend moving there? Is it safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 11:26 AM

24 posts, read 31,785 times
"Oakland Hills" has a very different connotation than just plain Oakland. Hopefully someone more familiar with this specific area will chime in, but I think you should be fine.

Also worth noting that some parts of Oakland outside the Oakland Hills are also very nice. Oakland's bad rep is deserved to a degree, but it has a lot of upside as well.

Old 12-08-2020, 12:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Though it was over 20 years ago, I once did a ride-along with my friend who was an Oakland policeman. We did a bunch of calls, mostly in the flatlands, most for domestic violence, but then when it quieted down, we did several calls in the hills for burglaries. They were all people that had called several days before that were mad because it took so long to show up. All they did was take a report and refer it to the civilian techs that do the fingerprinting. These were all in the Keller/Golf Links/Elysian Fields area, and he said it was due to the convenience to the criminals in the lowlands below there. Fire Station #6 is closer to Piedmont, and the area below the freeway there is still more affluent, with less of the criminals living there. Is it the same today? Probably, but hopefully someone there now will chime in.

Old 12-08-2020, 12:50 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times
There are some truly nice areas in the Oakland hills.
I like that area a lot.

That said as an old guy from the Bay Area we used to say it was 50 cents in gas money away from a burglary/robbery.

I’m sure it is much nicer today and with the advent of security cameras, ghetto rehabilitation and such.

One of the things I have noticed when it comes to crime was that crime seems to happen more often when the bad guys have a quick egress.

In the nice little town where I live we actually get bank robberies when the banks are located close to a freeway entrance.

With all that stated if I ever had a good discounted price on a property in the Oakland hills I’d jump on it.

One of my work buddies is chewing his fingers on a property near the freeway in effing Hayward that needs work for $785,000 and it’s not even that large or nice, but it is extremely close to our main office and he could ride a bicycle to work if he wanted

These times make me shake my head.

Last edited by MechAndy; 12-08-2020 at 01:02 PM..

Old 12-08-2020, 12:54 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
That's above Montclair. That's a great area! It's actually NE Oakland, SE of Upper Rockridge, also a great area. I'm wondering what "great price" means, in that context, but if your inspection checks out and you love it, go for it. People in the hills have burglar alarms, and the alarm companies cruise through late at night or in the wee hours of the morning, which may make you feel like you have some extra security, since apparently the police are slow to respond.

Just FYI, on the Berkeley side of the hills, the police respond promptly, fwiw.

Old 12-08-2020, 01:00 PM

899 posts, read 517,468 times
The Oakland Hills area is pretty good, but it can be dangerous to drive. Also, the Berkeley part is better than the Oakland part.

Old 12-08-2020, 03:26 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,920 times
This part of Oakland is good, and the bad part of the flats isn't nearby. As long as you don't expect OPD to show up if you call them, you should be good. Do keep in mind that this area is not bike/ped friendly, so plan on driving everywhere.

Old 12-11-2020, 01:43 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
Sure, except when there's a fire.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:48 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
In general crime decreases with elevation but porch pirates just follow delivery trucks and more affluent areas have more deliveries...

Sadly, it's very true that property crimes are basically ignored... Victims so motivated are instructed to file online for insurance.

Fire Insurance is a wild card... gone are the days when a call would deliver a policy to Escrow...

Many companies like Farmers simply stopped writing even if you have a fire hydrant in front and fire station on the corner...

That said Oakland Hills is a community and that part is very much tied to Montclair shopping district.

Lots of Eastbay Regional park trails nearby and we'll used... even Redwoods!

Old 12-12-2020, 01:25 PM

653 posts, read 463,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
In general crime decreases with elevation but porch pirates just follow delivery trucks and more affluent areas have more deliveries...

Sadly, it's very true that property crimes are basically ignored... Victims so motivated are instructed to file online for insurance.

Fire Insurance is a wild card... gone are the days when a call would deliver a policy to Escrow...

Many companies like Farmers simply stopped writing even if you have a fire hydrant in front and fire station on the corner...

That said Oakland Hills is a community and that part is very much tied to Montclair shopping district.

Lots of Eastbay Regional park trails nearby and we'll used... even Redwoods!
I know you're referring to a more macro level with Oakland porch pirates, but this is true in general on a block-to-block basis in the City, too.

I've offered this advice to first-time visitors to SF, if they ever were walking around and suddenly found themselves in a situation that made them uneasy: "Crime doesn't climb."

If you're ever walking around a neighborhood in SF and you stumble upon a block with some people who look threatening, just turn and walk uphill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland