Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 01:54 AM

7,345 posts, read 3,812,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No one wants to live in Martinez, are you for real? And about Vallejo there is shopping a lot closer than Walnut Creek - or are you thinking about Vallejo as it was 30 years ago?
I should have been clearer. No one wants to live close to the refineries. There are plenty of areas in Martinez miles away from the refineries.

The farthest you can live away from the Benicia refinery and still be within the city limits is about 2.5 miles. For Martinez, it's about 4 miles.

Plus the stigma of living in a refinery town doesn't help home prices, which is one reason Pleasant Hill has always been more desirable than Martinez.

If you must live in Martinez, it's more desirable to live south of Highway 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWolf6450 View Post
All that I am saying is that based on my research, people shouldn’t choose not to live in Benicia because of safety concerns from the refinery. Especially when alternative locations have different public health issues like crime or other pollutant sources. I am not excusing them for accidental releases, I’m simply saying people shouldn’t be fearful of a health risk that isn’t based on facts.

That said, I know they are a necessary evil and can still wish they didn’t exist in our state. I recommend that you read Braiding Sweetgrass and maybe do some mushrooms in a forest some time. But honestly, what do I know - maybe we should ask descendants from the Patwins or other native bay area tribes what they think about big oil on their native land.

And for the record, Matt, I respect your perspective..just having fun with the internet banter. Cheers
Okay, cool. Next time I run into a Patwin I'll ask.

Old 07-10-2022, 05:36 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
Brentwood used to be no homes just U-pick farms back in the 90's. Now it's all developed with homes in the million dollar range for the newer larger houses. The only problem is it get real HOT out there and you must deal with the deadly Highway 4 traffic congestion, riff raff. collisions and freeway shootings.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Brentwood used to be no homes just U-pick farms back in the 90's. Now it's all developed with homes in the million dollar range for the newer larger houses. The only problem is it get real HOT out there and you must deal with the deadly Highway 4 traffic congestion, riff raff. collisions and freeway shootings.
My MIL was just out there picking cherries at age 90. I picked strawberries out there in the early 80s. Those u-pick-'em farms are still around. I hope they don't go away.

Old 07-17-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
My MIL was just out there picking cherries at age 90. I picked strawberries out there in the early 80s. Those u-pick-'em farms are still around. I hope they don't go away.
You are correct there is very little U-Pick-Farms left. I remember in the 90's there were nothing but U-Pick-Farms. Lots of cherries and it was fun climbing the ladder and picking the exact cherries you wanted. All kinds of fruits, vegetables run by family farms. A single story home brand new cost $127,000 back then as I remember looking at those.

Old 07-24-2022, 07:10 PM

Quote:
You are correct there is very little U-Pick-Farms left. I remember in the 90's there were nothing but U-Pick-Farms. Lots of cherries and it was fun climbing the ladder and picking the exact cherries you wanted. All kinds of fruits, vegetables run by family farms. A single story home brand new cost $127,000 back then as I remember looking at those.
Within one month of moving up to Contra Costa from Southern California in 1980, my parents took me to Brentwood to pick strawberries and Cherries.

There were scattered homes out there, but they were primarily farmers, ranchers and people who raised horses. I knew three girls in the early 80s who lived there on what I thought was a small plot of land in an antiquated 3-bedroom house with one bathroom. They gave me a tour and then asked if I wanted to see the stables. They took be back and they had a beautiful stable with 30 horses, cattle, and all the accoutrements necessary to live that life. I asked how much land they had and they said 80 acres. Here I thought all they had was that tiny house but in fact, they had a $1+ million operation when $1 million meant something. The gazillion pairs of designer jeans should have been a clue. lol

It sucks to see those farms disappear, just as it sucks to see the dairy farms disappear in Chino, CA near where I grew up.

I'm all for development, but not as the expense of small farmers who provide products vastly superior to corporate farms.

Old 07-24-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Within one month of moving up to Contra Costa from Southern California in 1980, my parents took me to Brentwood to pick strawberries and Cherries.

There were scattered homes out there, but they were primarily farmers, ranchers and people who raised horses. I knew three girls in the early 80s who lived there on what I thought was a small plot of land in an antiquated 3-bedroom house with one bathroom. They gave me a tour and then asked if I wanted to see the stables. They took be back and they had a beautiful stable with 30 horses, cattle, and all the accoutrements necessary to live that life. I asked how much land they had and they said 80 acres. Here I thought all they had was that tiny house but in fact, they had a $1+ million operation when $1 million meant something. The gazillion pairs of designer jeans should have been a clue. lol

It sucks to see those farms disappear, just as it sucks to see the dairy farms disappear in Chino, CA near where I grew up.

I'm all for development, but not as the expense of small farmers who provide products vastly superior to corporate farms.
Those were the good old days now. Go to that area now and all you get is gridlock, traffic and fast food franchises and more traffic. Also more bull dozing going on for more development off the freeway.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Those were the good old days now. Go to that area now and all you get is gridlock, traffic and fast food franchises and more traffic. Also more bull dozing going on for more development off the freeway.
On the bright side, the geography of the Bay Area prevents it from becoming another LA or Dallas. All the hills prevent sprawl and the commute from the Central Valley is murder (although, some people do it.)

Old 08-23-2022, 12:23 PM

6 posts, read 2,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp86 View Post
We moved to Oakley (neighbor of Brentwood) last yr and previously rented in Walnut Creek. Except for unique restaurants it's good over here.
Hi,

Appreciate the input. Oakley is also an option for us. Also, we want a home with a pool and yard as we have a pup and close family staying with us. Nothing is coming under a million for pool houses except Brentwood/Oakley. Good schools are also important and I’ve heard Brentwood schools are good. Any recommendations on schools?

Old 08-24-2022, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgk500 View Post
Hi,

Appreciate the input. Oakley is also an option for us. Also, we want a home with a pool and yard as we have a pup and close family staying with us. Nothing is coming under a million for pool houses except Brentwood/Oakley. Good schools are also important and I’ve heard Brentwood schools are good. Any recommendations on schools?
It gets real hot out in Brentwood. Have you ever gone to the Cornfest in July in Brentwood?
Or the Oakley Almond Fair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland