Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 03:40 PM

1,336 posts, read 929,787 times

Advertisements

Oh my, an intellectual. Must be... first words out of mouth are working to discredit the other party.
Did you learn those words listening to NPR?

1. Show me where I posited: "stating that cities are parasitic". Oops? Can't? Awwww.

2. Parasites feed off their host, without providing any benefits. That's why they call them parasites. What I am referring to is, in fact, mutual trade. The Central Valley provides a good whack of the nations food supply, and sure, you can buy around them, but then your prices are going to go way up. Diesel fuel and refrigeration don't come for free, at least not in the USA (maybe Venezuela... AOC?). They rural communities, as you say, also house many of your service workers and trades. Sure, you can fly them in from Portland and Seattle, but again, your costs are going to go way up.

3. What you posited, in fact, is that rural communities are parasitic: "plenty of people in rural areas who aren't fully employed and are using social programs ".

4. One day, it would be great if the entire commuting workforce to cut your grass, clean your windows, build your homes, wrench your cars, fix your leaky faucet, and the list goes on forever, it would be great if they would go on strike, if just to show you what they do for your smug self everyday. I am pretty sure, that if SF Bay went on strike, we could go for at least a few days without Facebook and Google Maps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 08:36 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,666,790 times
San Joaquin county has a huge bay area transplants population who bring their liberal views with them. The area is more conservative than the bay area. The central valley on a whole is very conservative and votes red. Trump won most of the rural counties in California.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:10 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,370,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Oh my, an intellectual. Must be... first words out of mouth are working to discredit the other party.
Did you learn those words listening to NPR?

1. Show me where I posited: "stating that cities are parasitic". Oops? Can't? Awwww.
Naw, you just discredit yourself with your words - I can't take credit for it.

You started that thread with the comment about "public benefits sucking cities" = implies a parasitic relationship, the old right wing shibboleth about folks making use of welfare benefits. I called you out on that by pointing out that plenty of folks in rural areas take advantage of public services because they're eligible, and that the metro areas actually produce more than their share of economic activity. Basically you hung yourself out to dry on that and you're now backtracking more than a defensive back with the 49ers.

You're just trying to save a little face now.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 PM

1,336 posts, read 929,787 times
^^^ and that sort of arrogance is why California is where it is, folks.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:57 PM

26,758 posts, read 26,863,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Naw, you just discredit yourself with your words - I can't take credit for it.

You started that thread with the comment about "public benefits sucking cities" = implies a parasitic relationship, the old right wing shibboleth about folks making use of welfare benefits. I called you out on that by pointing out that plenty of folks in rural areas take advantage of public services because they're eligible, and that the metro areas actually produce more than their share of economic activity. Basically you hung yourself out to dry on that and you're now backtracking more than a defensive back with the 49ers.

You're just trying to save a little face now.
Could not agree more.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:10 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,016,795 times
Discovery Bay aka retired divorced copville is the only area that voted Trump.

Even Tracy went for Hillary. It was more conservative 20 years ago. But most of Tracy is minorities from the bay area. Republicans are pretty much just the old white residents in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland