Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 08:54 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,191,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloaklife View Post
Not an old building and not quite in downtown, sorry if I gave that impression. Its a nice unit and at the time it was a lot to pay for a condo
OK, that makes more sense. You had said in your first posting, "...2. lt would be nice to have a modern place so we don't have to deal with all the things that go along with owning an old place..." And you said you were close to downtown. No matter, I get it now.

FYI, your HOA is relatively pretty low I think for what you own. That's a good thing if the building is newish and doesn't have many issues. I own in a 45 year old building that was neglected for decades. I'm paying 5 to 10k a year in special assessments for the next few years to bring it up to date/code. I looked into bailing and buying into a better building but the property tax increase and mortgage increase made it untenable for me.

Oh, for me, I almost think that place on Grand in West Oakland will retain value more than a house in East Oakland (especially if it is a lower class area). West Oakland has gentrified, sort of, already. Some of the original occupants still live there and some will never leave (Acorn housing projects) but it has potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 09:08 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,250,230 times
I agree on Dublin if you're OK with a commute. Last time I was there I saw lots of new developments. I wouldn't care for a yard as long as parks were nearby.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:26 PM

24 posts, read 26,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
OK, that makes more sense. You had said in your first posting, "...2. lt would be nice to have a modern place so we don't have to deal with all the things that go along with owning an old place..." And you said you were close to downtown. No matter, I get it now.

FYI, your HOA is relatively pretty low I think for what you own. That's a good thing if the building is newish and doesn't have many issues. I own in a 45 year old building that was neglected for decades. I'm paying 5 to 10k a year in special assessments for the next few years to bring it up to date/code. I looked into bailing and buying into a better building but the property tax increase and mortgage increase made it untenable for me.

Oh, for me, I almost think that place on Grand in West Oakland will retain value more than a house in East Oakland (especially if it is a lower class area). West Oakland has gentrified, sort of, already. Some of the original occupants still live there and some will never leave (Acorn housing projects) but it has potential.
Oh ok now I get why you think we owned in an old place. No, we have lived in old places before as renters and even as a renter it can be frustrating (nevermind if you own it). We are loving living in a nice new place... at this point it would be hard to go back!

As for the Hoa issues. That is def interesting perspective. We are annoyed now but I see your point that we will be happy to not have special assessments down the road. Our hoa definitely takes care of ongoing maintenance issues and anything that crops up which is good for the future condition.

As for East Oakland vs West Oakland not sure...my hubby and I have driven down Mandela Parkway to get into Emeryville one night and the neighborhood looked quiet and nice...that's why the price of $650k popped out at me. I thought wow, West Oakland is pretty decent and that's a good price for a new townhouse. However when we drove by it was not looking great compared to what I was expecting so maybe that part has not quite caught up with the rest of the area? My husband was mostly worried that the garage/house would get broken into. I looked at crime statistics but I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:39 PM

63 posts, read 54,127 times
Quote:
Do you know anyone who lives there? and if so, how they like it? Just curious since you seemed to know about the development.

I don't live there, I live in a neighboring city, but go to Dublin frequently.
Boulevard is a very new development, I doubt many have moved in.
It is in a very convenient location, close to not only bart, but 580/680 freeways, and numerous shopping centers. One problem with Dublin is the underfunded school district, DUSD. It got a parcel from the developer/city in the middle of the new gigantic neighborhood, but has no $ to build the school. This is not uncommon in Dublin,

the whole Wallis Ranch neighborhood plus nearby developments have no school built for them either.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I agree on Dublin if you're OK with a commute. Last time I was there I saw lots of new developments. I wouldn't care for a yard as long as parks were nearby.
The good news for us is that I work in Pleasanton (and plan on working there a long time) and hubby is able to work mostly remotely

Old 06-26-2018, 09:47 PM

187 posts, read 206,673 times
Quote:
Just a second question not sure if appropriate for the forum but if you were thinking of having kids would you prioritize a yard? or proximity to your job and parents (for backup child care)? I figure some of you folks have been parents and have some good advice on that.
Definitely prioritize proximity to work and parents, especially when the kids are young. It is impossible to describe how insanely crazy and demanding having kids is (obviously rewarding as well). The only thing more priceless than time with your kids (i.e. short commute) is a little time away from your kids (i.e. built in babysitters, aka parents)

Old 06-26-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeopardyd View Post
I don't live there, I live in a neighboring city, but go to Dublin frequently.
Boulevard is a very new development, I doubt many have moved in.
It is in a very convenient location, close to not only bart, but 580/680 freeways, and numerous shopping centers. One problem with Dublin is the underfunded school district, DUSD. It got a parcel from the developer/city in the middle of the new gigantic neighborhood, but has no $ to build the school. This is not uncommon in Dublin,

the whole Wallis Ranch neighborhood plus nearby developments have no school built for them either.
What would be the implications down the road? Like they wouldn't have funds to have all the fancy classes and up-to-date facilities? (If so, that sounds like Dublin when I grew up there!) Not sure what the schools are like now but I heard they improved.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejerryronnie View Post
Definitely prioritize proximity to work and parents, especially when the kids are young. It is impossible to describe how insanely crazy and demanding having kids is (obviously rewarding as well). The only thing more priceless than time with your kids (i.e. short commute) is a little time away from your kids (i.e. built in babysitters, aka parents)
Very helpful to hear! That's what I was thinking too but it is good to get confirmation. All my coworkers keep telling me I need a yard for kids. In my head I'm thinking...that's what Grandma and Grandpa's yard is for! (or to another person's point...nearby parks).

Old 06-26-2018, 10:18 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,191,016 times
Quote:
Oh ok now I get why you think we owned in an old place. No, we have lived in old places before as renters and even as a renter it can be frustrating (nevermind if you own it). We are loving living in a nice new place... at this point it would be hard to go back!

As for the Hoa issues. That is def interesting perspective. We are annoyed now but I see your point that we will be happy to not have special assessments down the road. Our hoa definitely takes care of ongoing maintenance issues and anything that crops up which is good for the future condition.

As for East Oakland vs West Oakland not sure...my hubby and I have driven down Mandela Parkway to get into Emeryville one night and the neighborhood looked quiet and nice...that's why the price of $650k popped out at me. I thought wow, West Oakland is pretty decent and that's a good price for a new townhouse. However when we drove by it was not looking great compared to what I was expecting so maybe that part has not quite caught up with the rest of the area? My husband was mostly worried that the garage/house would get broken into. I looked at crime statistics but I couldn't make heads or tails of it.
I've learned my lesson about HOA's now. Some older buildings did keep up with maintenance and can be great buys but you have to be aware of what to look for and understand the better buildings will cost more. Once my building is complete, it should reflect in value. Don't get me wrong, I like where I live. It is just too bad that I have to pay for the neglect that occurred before I purchased.

I'm not sure about that area of West Oakland right now. It may be a risk or not. I know it is not low crime. Part of me thinks it is ok if you never plan to walk outside. I understand that is a bit hysterical but there is not much to walk to around there and I know it used to be a shooting gallery in the past. Maybe that has ended. I just don't know. You mentioned a dog that I assume you must walk. If you are nervous people then it is probably not a good spot right now.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
If you are nervous people then it is probably not a good spot right now.
Nervous is a pretty good description Ok, it's sounding more and more like if we ever want a family it would be best to bite the bullet and move out to Dublin/Pleasanton. I would miss Oakland so much but it sounds like there are a lot of things in favor of moving out that way. I hate how much it costs to move out there for most likely a small condo/townhouse with no backyard and fewer cultural amenities than we have in Oakland for $750k-$800k but I guess that's everyone's gripe about the Bay Area in general.

Boulevard sounds like one we should check out. Does anyone else know of any other good developments within 2miles of Bart in that price range? My mom told us to look at "the perch" and I recall the smaller townhouses going in the $700k range but I looked recently and it is up in the $800's for 2bd 2.5 bath I also saw some old townhouse communities that seem to be selling in that price range too but I'm worried nothing from those older developments will come on the market (or we would get outbid). That's mostly why I was trying to look at new builds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland