Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 12:52 AM

9 posts, read 38,581 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are relocating to the Peninsula within the next two months (hopefully) due to my husband's job (SSF). We would like to rent a home in Burlingame since we've heard great things about the town, (schools, community and weather - -do not like fog). We have two small children 2.5 and 4 months. We've been searching on Craigslist for rentals. We don't want to spend more than $3,000. Ideally would love to find a home for rent between $2,000 and $2,500. Is this realistic? What neighborhoods should we avoid? Is it too late to sign up our oldest child for preschool for fall 2008? Every place I called seems to be full! Aack! Helpful suggestions greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 07:05 AM

2,201 posts, read 3,357,900 times
Gosh, I don't think there is a neighborhood in Burlingame that I'd automatically tell someone to avoid. There are no "bad" neighborhoods. I personally don't like it way down by the freeway (101), but I can't say that's a bad area or anything like that.

I'm not up to date on preschools anymore , but just want to suggest that you check out the Burlingame Recreation & Park Department for preschool programs and also Millbrae Recreation & Park, which has a real nice part time preschool program. But neither are registering for fall 2008 (they are still in winter/spring programs ).

For $2500 you can probably get an older style 2br cottage type home or duplex, most likely on El Camino or East of El Camino.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:06 AM

254 posts, read 1,183,119 times
3,000 is probably going to be a little more realistic, especially if you need a 3BR. I can't think of any "bad" areas- maybe between California and Hwy 101, near Peninsula, but even there, if you go a few streets north, you are bordering one of the best parks in Burlingame and you are in walking distance to one of the best shopping streets in the area, so you really can't go wrong. I personally prefer the areas west of El Camino Real. If you can get something within walking distance to Burlingame Ave your husband might regret it.

And a little tip for when you get here: Crepevine restaurant on Burlingame Ave has to be the most kid friendly "adult" restaurant around. They are super accommodating to moms with kids, with a million high chairs, and have great salads and crepes, of course. And a decent kids menu also.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:13 AM

Oh- and I know a lot of places are currently having preschool preview nights. Unfortunately we're moving so I haven't attended, but if I get any info I'll be sure to pass it on. I do know that Burlingame has a mother's club, so you may want to join that.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:21 AM

libbkt and twinsforlynn
Thank you for all the advice. We will be looking at some rentals on Forest View and El Camino. Seems there aren't that many house rentals out there. I am guessing no one wants to move.
What about neighborhods in San Mateo?

Old 02-29-2008, 01:03 PM

The house I am currently renting in San Mateo will be up for rent in a couple of months. We pay $2900 for a tiny 3BR/1 BA in a GREAT neighborhood with a good sized yard. Arguably one of the best neighborhoods in SM (San Mateo Park), which borders Burlingame, so we pay a premium to live here. This house would probably rent for ~2200-2500 in other neighborhoods of SM. SM Park may as well be Burlingame.

San Mateo is a little more hit or miss. The very general rule of thumb is to stay west of El Camino Real. However, the further you get from there, and 101, the longer the commute will be for your husband. I have some friends that live east of ECR in neighborhoods like Sunnybrae and Hayward Park. Both are ok. My husband travels a lot for work, so for me, I wanted to be in a neighborhood where I felt like there would never be any spillover from surrounding neighborhoods, if that makes sense. One neighborhood in SM that I like is Laurie Meadows, simply because it is part of the Belmont/Redwood Shores school District which is rated higher if you plan to put your kids in public schools. I guess that's the other advantage to finding a place within the Burlingame city limits.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:22 PM

Is your landlord renting your house again? I am interested!

Old 02-29-2008, 09:23 PM

Yes, it's been a rental forever. You can DM me. I'm not sure exactly when we are moving- probably around mid April. She rents it through a management company, but our next door neighbor is the Realtor who handles the transaction, so I'm sure if I told her I had a potential renter she'd be ecstatic. This is definitely not a rental neighborhood, which is part of the appeal to me. I know one home down the street recently sold, but it used to rent for 12,000/mo.

I won't lie, it's definitely tiny with an interesting floor plan (I'd guess around 1200 sq feet?), and it doesn't have a dishwasher. And closet space sucks like you wouldn't believe. But the wood floors and architecture are gorgeous (built in the 1920s) and the back yard is great. Plus, you can throw the kids in a wagon and walk to the park, or to Burlingame Ave. I guess it all depends on what you're coming from, and what you're looking for. We had a 2500 sq foot house that we owned before we moved in here, so it was definitely hard for us to adjust to moving into such a small space, but some of my friends come over and comment on how big my kitchen is, or the fact that I have a dining room, so I guess it's all relative.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:29 PM

73 posts, read 473,784 times
Have you looked int Millbrae? There is a 2 bedroom house in a great neighborhood for rent and I think there is a 3 bedroom for 2,500.

Try Millbrae Rec Center for preschool, or Learning Links, Millbrae High School has a program and there are some churches in Burlingame with preschools (they fill up quick though).

Feel free to send me a message.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:50 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I have thought about Millbrae. What are the good/great neighborhoods in Millbrae? I have no clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland