Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 02:31 PM

1,099 posts, read 902,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
Yes, for those who can afford it or don't have a 2+ hour commute each way. That's not the case with a lot of people. Some people only view things from their own little world and don't see things from other's perspectives.
Actually I see things from a logical perspective. That's up to the person. For those that would do that (and I suspect there are few), they must feel the sacrifice is worth it. But it does make for a nice straw man argument. And if they don't, they have a choice. No one is under any duress to stay here if they choose not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 03:54 PM

702 posts, read 954,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
No one is under any duress to stay here if they choose not to.
Yeah, why would anyone want to stay near their families, friends, or where they grew up? I mean, moving to some place where you don't know anyone is no big deal, right? And landing a job in a different state is really easy, I mean, it just takes a bunch of plane trips, or a huge nest egg to safely float yourself and your family while you get a new job in an unfamiliar metro.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Yeah, why would anyone want to stay near their families, friends, or where they grew up? I mean, moving to some place where you don't know anyone is no big deal, right? And landing a job in a different state is really easy, I mean, it just takes a bunch of plane trips, or a huge nest egg to safely float yourself and your family while you get a new job in an unfamiliar metro.
Yep, because sitting on a forum and whining about it for the 100th time is really doing a lot of good. Again, I don't see a gun to anyone's head to stay here. People move all the time due to cost of living. I also find it downright laughable when people want to paint natives as some evil villain, when all they want is a short term fix (not a solution) for their selfish benefit. Seems to me that those people don't care one bit about people that are already here that like the way it is, and those that will come here 30 to 50 years after them (our kids' kids) only to be exposed to the same housing problems that people like you complain about now. Yep, people like that are actually more selfish than the Ewoks (oh wait, what's that silly, derogatory term again...oh, that's right...NIMBY, lol...still sounds like something out of Star Wars). Ooohh...the big, bad NIMBY!

Last edited by bodyforlife99; 05-01-2016 at 04:26 PM..

Old 05-01-2016, 04:20 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,726,714 times
Quote:
Yep, because sitting on a forum and whining about it for the 100th time is really doing a lot of good. Again, I don't see a gun to anyone's head to stay here. People move all the time due to cost of living. I also find it downright laughable when people want to paint natives as some evil villain, when all they want is a short term fix (not a solution) for their selfish benefit. Seems to me that those people don't care one bit about people that are already here that like the way it is, and those that will come here 30 to 50 years after them (our kids' kids) only to be exposed to the same housing problems that people like you complain about now. Yep, people like that are actually more selfish than the Ewoks (oh wait, what's that silly, derogatory term again...oh, that's right...NIMBY, lol...still sounds like something out of Star Wars). Ooohh...the big, bad NIMBY!
They should create downpayment and travel programs funded by nimbys so people can leave the Bay Area. Every time a nimby uses the bootstrap argument or says it was expensive back then too they owe me a dollar. I could buy whole blocks in a few days

Old 05-01-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
They should create downpayment and travel programs funded by nimbys so people can leave the Bay Area. Every time a nimby uses the bootstrap argument or says it was expensive back then too they owe me a dollar. I could buy whole blocks in a few days
YEAH! Go get those NIMBYS, lol. Feel better?

Old 05-01-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
YEAH! Go get those NIMBYS, lol. Feel better?
No bootstraps? If you happen to mention it, (which you will) don't forget to send me a dollar!

Old 05-01-2016, 04:31 PM

Death to the NIMBYs! But spare the Ewoks. Perma Bear has spoken!

Hey Bear. Get outside and get some sunshine. I just got back from an outdoor workout. It's a beautiful day.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Death to the NIMBYs! But spare the Ewoks. Perma Bear has spoken!

Hey Bear. Get outside and get some sunshine. I just got back from an outdoor workout. It's a beautiful day.
The 99 must stand for your birthday kiddo

Old 05-01-2016, 06:49 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,014,689 times
Pretty much every viable place in the Bay Area for high rise development has been shut down by activist Nimbys. LoL

Old 05-01-2016, 09:40 PM

And if those selfish people only looking out for their best interests truly wanted to see rents at least temporarily come down (since the higher density housing looks like a pipe dream), they would be more effective just abolishing rent control. But we tried that, and it got voted down so there you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland