Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 46,653 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I've been lurking here for a while to get information on Tracy. What a great forum this is!

My husband and I currently live in downtown San Francsico in a 1-bedroom apartment and would like to buy a house in the coming year. We don't want to spend too much money on a house so Tracy came into mind. He works in downtown and I work in the Castro area.

So my question is, what is the commute time between Tracy and San Francisco during peak hour? I am planning to take the Bart into the city to save gas and time. Is it better to take the ACE train from Tracy to Pleasanton then Bart from Pleasanton to SF, or drive to Pleasanton Bart station then take the Bart?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 12:43 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,909 times
I would skip the ACE train which doesn't stop anywhere near the Pleasanton BART station and just drive to the Pleasanton BART station (there is a shuttle between the ACE and BART stations in Pleasanton, however). They have plenty of parking on both sides of I-580.

In SF, from the BART stations along Market St., you can go to the upper level and take Muni light rail to Castro St.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:50 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
If you can swing it financially, I would recommend moving closer in.

What price range of homes were you thinking about?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:50 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times
Welcome to the Altamont Pass! I had a job in SJ and was promised a transfer to Stockton, so I bought my home in Calaveras County. They rescinded the transfer I've ridden ACE and driven ALL of the alternative ways from the valley into the south bay. You will HATE 580! It can take 45 minutes to get from Tracy to BART.

The ACE train doesn't connect directly to BART in Pleasanton, the station is next to the fairgrounds. There may be a shuttle between ACE and BART but that's going to add quite a bit of time to the equation. Your best bet would be to drive to the Pleasanton BART station and go from there

Old 02-12-2008, 12:55 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Welcome to the Altamont Pass! I had a job in SJ and was promised a transfer to Stockton, so I bought my home in Calaveras County. They rescinded the transfer I've ridden ACE and driven ALL of the alternative ways from the valley into the south bay. You will HATE 580! It can take 45 minutes to get from Tracy to BART.

The ACE train doesn't connect directly to BART in Pleasanton, the station is next to the fairgrounds. There may be a shuttle between ACE and BART but that's going to add quite a bit of time to the equation. Your best bet would be to drive to the Pleasanton BART station and go from there
Would it be worth it to take Amtrak to the Oakland coliseum BART..I read somewhere that its now a joint BART/ Amtrak station?

That way, you would only drive to the Amtrak station in San Joaquin County as opposed to shlepping over the Altamont pass.....what an awful drive.

Ya know when I was in Sac, I saw something on TV. apparently the 205 is the worst commute in CA outside of the immediate LA and the Bay Areas.

yikes.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 46,653 times
Oh that's good to know! I know that Bart comes more often in the morning and afternoon, does it get stuck at all? I take the Muni Metro to work everyday and sometimes it's just impossible to get to work on time because something always goes wrong!

I may have to rethink moving to Tracy then, seems like it can easily take up to 4 hours everyday just to commute!

Our price range is around 350-400k for 3 bedrooms. It's really not high enough for the bay area.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:54 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,936 times
There are a few places in the Bay Area that are that affordable, but maybe you won't like the area, Pittsburg and Antioch come to mind.

As an example here is a house built in 2005 in Pittsburg:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Granted Pittsburg is not know to be as nice as other places, but yeah, if your price range is that high you can afford the Bay Area in this day and age, not that much selection, but there are a few foreclosures every here and there.

You don't really need to go all the way out to Tracy unless your budget is less than 300k.

Just as a warning prices in Tracy, Pittsburg, Antioch, Brentwood and those areas are still going down, don't get in over your head, because getting out won't be easy, try to find a place you will want to stick around for a while.

Though 400k is not as little as you make it sound, you can even buy a house in Concord for that much.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
You should talk to an agent who knows these areas if you really want to buy a house, you will have to make compromises on location or amenities, but it can be done.

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 06:24 AM..

Old 02-13-2008, 12:04 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
Aren't they widening 205? That should make a difference, though 580 will still be a problem.

There is an express bus to Pleasanton BART from Tracy, but you have to reserve in advance and that would be more $$$ than I could stomach personally.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:38 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherripi View Post
Oh that's good to know! I know that Bart comes more often in the morning and afternoon, does it get stuck at all? I take the Muni Metro to work everyday and sometimes it's just impossible to get to work on time because something always goes wrong!

I may have to rethink moving to Tracy then, seems like it can easily take up to 4 hours everyday just to commute!

Our price range is around 350-400k for 3 bedrooms. It's really not high enough for the bay area.
You have to pay for parking at dublin bart as well. 580 is horrific. I go there in the evenings and it takes forever. Morning are sometimes better. I went from portola to hacienda and it took 25 minute usually at 8:30am. Downtown Oakland to Livermore at 4:30pm takes me a little over an hour usually.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:47 PM

226 posts, read 1,125,778 times
The following post is one of mine from another thread about Mountain House, a community west of Tracy with its own in-community commuter bus stop. It is modified to suit your context.

You have more choices than just Pittsburg, Antioch, and Brentwood, that's for sure. Consider Mountain House, which is just as affordable, especially during developer "fire sales": Mountain House Forums: Homes/townhomes for sale .The elementary and middle schools compare to some of the best schools in Brentwood. See this post on Mountain House's community forum and website in a comparison between the two cities: Mountain House Forums: Mountain House vs. Brentwood .

Mountain House is master-planned and has a luxury commuter bus service that takes you from the heart of the community to the
Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station, from where you can take BART to San Francisco. Plus, I saw on the forum that new metering lights are lightning the traffic on the Altamont Pass and I-580, in addition to a widening project. If you live in Brentwood, it is going to be tricky to drive on Highway 4, and there is no commuter bus that I know of that takes residents to Pittsburg/Bay Point BART Station in 45 minutes.

In Brentwood, you need to drive to the Brentwood Park and Ride, which takes time, ride the bus for one hour to the Pittsburg/Bay Point BART Station, and then ride on BART for another hour.

From Mountain House, the bus picks up passengers from within walking distance of most residents, and takes only 45 minutes to get to the Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station. From there, the BART journey is only 45 minutes to Embarcadero Station, shorter than the hour of BART from Pittsburg.

In all, the journey from Mountain House to San Francisco is shorter than that from Brentwood by half an hour. In Mountain House, you will also be living in a better community with close-knit neighbors. Pittsburg and Antioch are not that great, and Brentwood is slowly being impacted by those cities.

Mountain House is also near the affluent Tri-Valley and its technological industry base, conveniently accessible by I-580.

To find out more about Mountain House, you can visit its community website at
Mountain House Villages

Edit: I figured the cost of a monthly pass for the luxury commuter bus service. The cost of the unlimited monthly pass of $110 averaged over twenty weekdays comes to less than the price of gas per mile per gallon of a car that has a mileage that is less than 30 MPG. Also, you would not have to deal of the stress of commuting, making the bus-to-BART option from Mountain House a bigger plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland