Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 02:12 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,460,656 times

Advertisements

San Francisco: SOMA will full of highrises. Mission will be full gentrified with hipsters. Hunters Point might be redeveloped. Hispanics priced out of the Mission may dispace blacks in Hunters Point. Black population wilk dwindle. North Beach, Russian Hill, Pacific Heights, and the Marina will be basically the same but even more expensive. Midmarket will be fully gentrified. Tenderloin may partially gentrified.

Oakland: Probably much more gentrified around downtown. Massive new developments in Brooklyn Basin and Coliseum. West Oakland will still be Ghetto. Fruitville might slightly gentrify. Less blacks. More Asians and white Hipsters.

Berkeley: Similar but downtown will be slightly more upscale. West Berkeley might be redeveloped.

Silicon Valley: will start to see more dense urban development, less suburban, will end up being majority Asian.

Richmond: still Ghetto

Antioch: still Ghetto

Concord: might gentrify slightly, Naval Redevelopment will make a high impact adding 20k new residents.

Walnut Creek: Similar but downtown will be slightly more urban.

Danville: Same as now

Dublin: more dense until on remaining lots. Will resemble Irvine. Might become majority Asian. Camp Parks will be redeveloped.

Pleasonton: More dense development near the Bart station also will become more Asian.

Livermore: not much new sprawl due to greenbelt, downtown will be revitalized.

San Leandro and Hayward: hard to say but may be more gentrified.

Redwood city: may gentrify and see more dense until

San Mateo: same as Redwood city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 08:42 AM

23,521 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I'd also add that some of the cities in the East Bay (Hayward, Union City, San Leandro, Castro Valley) will start getting more technology oriented businesses, as rents in Silicon Valley, the Peninsula and San Francisco become even more expensive. There are already some technology oriented businesses in these cities, but 20 years from now, there will even be more.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:04 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
More interesting is how the SMART train will change the North Bay in 20 years. That's the biggest infrastructure project going on right now (that I'm aware of). Some say it's the "train to nowhere". Not surprising that folks with an aversion to change would be skeptical. But it will be the first time the North Bay has had any real public transit. It will be interesting to see the real effect 20 years later. (Assuming it's actually finished by then, LOL)

Old 07-26-2015, 10:58 AM

372 posts, read 513,867 times
I believe that self-driving cars along with improved public transit (BART, Caltrain) will make the suburbs more attractive to many people. I think the impact of self driving cars will be significant, though SF and Silicon Valley will remain the primary job centers.

SF will have completed the Transbay Terminal with Caltrain extension and HSR. SOMA high rises will continue to be built. Mission Bay will continue to be redeveloped and will look completely different with Warriors stadium. The Candlestick Park redevelopment will be complete. Overall, there will be continued gentrification with an increase in Asian population and decrease in Hispanic.

In Oakland, the Raiders and A's will move, and the Coliseum will be redeveloped making that area completely different. BART congestion will put a new BART/HSR tube on the fast track, but it won't yet be built. Oakland will become majority Hispanic and crime will drop significantly, following the trend in cities like EPA and Richmond. The character of downtown will be more influenced by this demographic. Hayward will see more tech-oriented businesses given its convenient location.

San Jose downtown will continue to rise vertically and be serviced by BART and HSR. A new landmark building will be built bringing more identity to the city. The Peninsula and South Bay will have the "grand boulevard" plan for El Camino Real revitalization completed, and electrified Caltrain with faster service and extension to downtown SF. Industrial areas near Caltrain will continue to be converted to transit oriented developments.

I think Marin will stay mostly the same. Even with the SMART train, zoning regulations will prevent any massive changes. I've heard Sonoma is similarly strict.

Last edited by calicoastal; 07-26-2015 at 11:55 AM..

Old 07-27-2015, 07:00 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
West Oakland is already gentrifying. Existing lower income renters are complaining.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:28 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,189 times
In Oakland, West Oakland and Fruitvale will for sure have gentrified by 2035 (especially as planned transit improvements go in there). And West Berkeley too (that's pretty much already happening!) Also southwest Berkeley (again, already happening, but I think that business district will really get going). Also definitely Redwood City and San Mateo--more density, higher incomes/prices.

It's not on your list, but I think Fremont is actually the dark horse city here. In 20 years I think it will look markedly different--proximity to Silicon Valley will draw people east, and they are going all in on their downtown. I could see it really taking off and becoming less suburban and more of a player in the regional economy.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:33 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
I see them under piles of rubble as civilization will end in 15.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:10 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoastal View Post
SF will have completed the Transbay Terminal with Caltrain extension and HSR. SOMA high rises will continue to be built. Mission Bay will continue to be redeveloped and will look completely different with Warriors stadium. The Candlestick Park redevelopment will be complete. Overall, there will be continued gentrification with an increase in Asian population and decrease in Hispanic.
Sounds about right, except for the part about losing latinos. Census data shows that the latino/hispanic population has been rising non-stop since the 1940s (along with the asian population). Why would it suddenly stop growing and then start shrinking? And why do you predict that for latinos, but not asians? Sure, it could happen...It just doesn't seem as likely as continued growth for both groups, which is what we've been seeing for over half a century.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:13 AM

722 posts, read 1,327,943 times
Sacramento will become the next OAKLAND, robbery & homicide , gangs, home invasions,etc will go up in Sac.

the poor will be forced out of the SF Bay area.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:32 AM

675 posts, read 1,189,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I see them under piles of rubble as civilization will end in 15.

I was gonna post that they may be in the ocean after the next big quake, lol. Though honestly, I don't think a huge quake will destroy those areas, I think they are mostly ready for a huge quake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland