Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 9,653 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I apologize if this thread has similarity to others already posted... I checked most of the threads though, and din't find the answers... so here I go:

I am single, late 20's female, who has lived on the east coast for the past 6 years, currently in Austin, TX. I recently took up a job in San Leandro, and am looking at renting/sharing housing with 1/2 roommates in the bay area when I relocate.

Being spanking new to the area, I am trying to isolate neighborhoods that would fit the below requirements... while I am flexible with most of them, I absolutely need to be close to public transport/BART, and be in a relatively safe area (as long as the area is pedestrian friendly, and walking at day or night are not sessions in bullets/mugger dodging all the time)
- find shared housing/roommates to keep renting costs low
- is walkable to BART/buses to get to San Leandro
- Progressive (does not mean hippie/yuppie)community, multicultural atmosphere would be great, but not an absolute necessity
- area where I can live car-free (can get basics done on foot), as I cannot own a car right now (economical reasons)....
- would prefer commuting only by BART to work, but will not mind bus + BART if needed... can manage 1 hr commute one-way if needed.

After doing some research, and checking Craigslist, I see that Oakland, Berkeley fit the bill, but what about the other areas?
I've also read on this and other forums that East, West and North Oakland are unsafe? Is that true? So is Emeryville...
Would El Cerrito, Albany, Hayward, Union City, Fremont etc be places to consider? SF city itself seems expensive to me on all accounts, but do advise on that...

I will be busy during the week, just with work, but on weekends would like to get out and explore.. on foot of course... so a friendly neighborhood with parks, library, cafes would be welcome.....
Let me know if you need more information or if I am sounding terribly confused...
Thanks to all who attempt to reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 06:27 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,762 times
Rockridge in Oakland or the north campus (Gourmet Ghetto) area in Berkeley would be my advice for walkable happening areas, close to BART.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:51 PM

323 posts, read 1,426,522 times
San Leandro itself aint that bad. I would suggest my town as well Alameda. No BART here, but you have the bus ....

Old 01-12-2008, 07:49 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks you two, for the replies... will keep that in mind.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 10,171 times
I have lived in the Hayward hills all my life. There are some newer condos centered around BART and downtown is walkable, or you have AC Transit busses. Like all communities around the San Francisco Bay Area, there are safer locations than others. I suggest you do some internet research on crime rates or check with the local police for the area you are looking at. Good luck!

Old 01-13-2008, 08:49 PM

71 posts, read 481,352 times
If you choose San Leandro, crime various a lot. Close to Oakland, it is outright unsafe. South to San Lorenzo, it is better, and up in the hills (Bay O Vista) crime is below the national average. I know this as we are looking to buy in the hills. Good luck!!

Old 01-14-2008, 12:25 AM

Default Distances

How big are the blocks in the bay area? Are we talking about New York city blocks, or smaller ones..
I see ad's which state BART is 10 blocks away or 5 .... or some are even more vague ... BART is a walkable distance... What is the bay area definition of walkable distance? Any ideas?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:18 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,165,242 times
Blocks vary widely from about 200 feet to a quarter-mile, and "walkable" can mean as much as a mile or more. The best way to figure it out is to use Google Maps to measure the distance between the location and the BART station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland