Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,616 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm considering taking a job in Palo Alto that pays around $70,000 a year.
My husband is looking at jobs that pay around $50,000 a year. We have 2 daughters.
Would our combined income be enough to support us in the Concord area.
We are looking only to rent not buy as we only plan to stay a few years.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 01:08 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,896,475 times
Concord won't work if your job is in Palo Alto. That's an impossible commute. Try Fremont, near the bridge to Palo Alto, for more reasonable rents, or on the Palo Alto side of the Bay, Pacifica or Daly City. Those last two might still be brutal commutes unless you can work around the traditional commute times. Huge traffic. Fremont/Union City has decent schools. I hope you both get some raises while you're living there, because rents have exploded, and you'll probably experience some significant rent increases.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:09 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,076,771 times
Commuting from Concord to Palo Alto?? No, No No!!!! ...very bad idea! I don't think you realize how long that commute would be!

Pick inner East Bay communities based on your income. You'll want to focus on safer parts of Hayward (mainly the hills- but still crappy commute!) and the "Tri-City area"- Fremont/Union City/Newark. Based on your information, I don't think you realize how far many Bay Area cities are apart from each other.

On Google Maps the SF Bay Area may look like this cute little compact area. It's not though. Concord makes no sense at all if you're commuting to Palo Alto. Also, expand your search criteria to South Bay locations (Silicon Valley/San Jose area). It's all going to be expensive based on what you're probably used to though.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:19 PM

3 posts, read 3,616 times
Thanks for the info

Old 02-18-2015, 03:02 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,896,475 times
Take a look at rents on Craigslist in the Fremont area, and also Daly City and Pacifica, to get an orientation. Take a look at San Mateo, as well, to compare. You may decide to consolidate, and take a 2-br. place, and double up the two girls in one room if you want a nice community with good schools and a shorter commute. It's good to explore all options.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:19 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,533,678 times
It is actually not an "impossible" commute. There are people doing all sorts of bad commutes around here. People commuting from Brentwood/Discovery Bay to the South Bay or City. People doing Tracy to the Peninsula. Los Banos to the South Bay. And all sorts of other manifestations. Not nice, but people do it.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:55 PM

6,421 posts, read 8,337,266 times
Sure, just as it's not impossible to commute from Sacramento or Monterrey.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:33 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,568,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
It is actually not an "impossible" commute. There are people doing all sorts of bad commutes around here. People commuting from Brentwood/Discovery Bay to the South Bay or City. People doing Tracy to the Peninsula. Los Banos to the South Bay. And all sorts of other manifestations. Not nice, but people do it.
My old boss's father has a small plane, and would routinely fly from Concord to Palo Alto to commute before he retired, and after he bought a house in the Concord area (Pleasant Hill), so yeah, I agree it is not "impossible", but most people don't have pilot licenses, a plane, and are willing to pay the maintenance for a plane + landing fees at two different airports.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,094,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
My old boss's father has a small plane, and would routinely fly from Concord to Palo Alto to commute before he retired, and after he bought a house in the Concord area (Pleasant Hill), so yeah, I agree it is not "impossible", but most people don't have pilot licenses, a plane, and are willing to pay the maintenance for a plane + landing fees at two different airports.
Wait, not everyone has a plane? Or a helicopter?

Old 02-19-2015, 08:59 AM

102,518 posts, read 109,147,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
That's one way to deal with traffic. Who knew Palo Alto has a landing strip?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland