Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:09 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,475,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
. This particular conversation was about lack of efficient public transportation in Russian Hill.
But the overall topic includes the Bay Area lifestyle so I was chipping in my experience.

What type of motorcycle did you ride and for how long?

I can't imagine not using my motorcycle for just about all of my commutes regardless of commuting to work or not.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:13 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,149,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
But the overall topic includes the Bay Area lifestyle so I was chipping in my experience.
Noted.

Not interested in engaging in any off-topic discussion with you.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:17 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Noted.

Not interested in engaging in any off-topic discussion with you.
Then don't. No need to reply to make this statement...it would be better stated with no reply.

On that note I don't believe for one second that you have ever once in your entire life ridden a motorcycle. If so you would not be waving your pom poms for pubic transportation.

Try out a motorcycle and you will gladly toss those pom poms.

Just imagine the "creative writing" marathons you could pull off with Bay Area motorcycling experience!!!!

Old 06-09-2014, 03:37 PM

@TVC15-We have had this conversation already. I told you some time ago that I had a bike back in Houston. I loved it, even though Houston was not a very fun place to ride with its ugly scenery, hot weather, bad traffic, poor drivers, etc.

Ironically, it was the one time I took the bike on a long trip to the country that I had my accident. My fault. Bad judgment. I applied my city riding sense to a country situation. I decided to ride late at night on a country road in the middle of nowhere. I hit a deer at about 60 mph and flew over the handlebars. I didn't have any time to react. Luckily, I only clipped the deer's hind legs, but it was still enough to put me over the top. Even more lucky was the fact that it was winter and very cold. That meant I had gloves, a good leather jacket, full-face helmet, and boots on. My weak link, other than my decision to ride that night, was wearing jeans. I didn't break anything, but I did get a major case of road rash on my left knee that required over a week in the hospital to sort out.

Oh well...I did fix the bike up and rode it for awhile after that, but had lost interest by then. Lately, I've regained interest. I'd like a Triumph Bonneville, I think, very much.

As for commuting on one, I'm thankfully not like you--I don't have long commutes as part of my daily routine. I like to stop off at places along the route home and meet friends--often without planning, just because I saw them in a place. I like to window shop and listen to music on the walk home. I often intentionally take the cable car line that ends farther away from home than my regular line, so I'll have that extra mile to walk. It's nice to soak up the neighborhood, catch an inNing or two of the game, grab a beer, or call my wife to walk up and join me. I don't rush home through anonymous, genic suburban streets. I enjoy my "commute" for many different reasons than you claim to both enjoy and hate yours.

The issue for me in this isn't riding or not riding, it's that I live so close to my work that a motorcycle is less convenient and more expensive than a couple of commuting options I have. I already stated that if I lived farther away, I'd prefer a bike to Muni, but with my present commute, I don't.

Have you ever lived in a dense urban area, where the benefits of the public transportation options outweigh those of private vehicles? I realize this is not the case in certain parts of the Bay Area, but it is true for many.

My biggest obstacle in getting a bike now is in figuring out where to park it. The expense of covered parking at home (if it's even available) and metered parking in the financial district every day negates most advantages a bike has over the extensive Muni system in the City.

Last edited by dalparadise; 06-09-2014 at 04:03 PM..

Old 06-09-2014, 05:59 PM

732 posts, read 971,692 times
Quote:
You both can have that. I walk 1 block to a Muni stop for a 12-13 minute ride that drops me off 1 block from my office. Even then, I much prefer the commute by cable car. It picks up 2 blocks from my apartment and drops off 2 blocks from my office.
It actually is sometimes faster to commute by MUNI (bus, metro, or cable car) than it is to drive a car, especially during "rush" hour. If there weren't the bus- & taxi-only lanes in same areas, there wouldn't be as much incentive to ride public transportation and traffic would be so much worse.

Btw, an expensive, fancy, fast car in SF these days is laughable considering it'll have to crawl along in traffic with the rest of the cars while the public transit and even bicycles pass them (LMAO!).

Old 06-09-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
@TVC15-We have had this conversation already. I told you some time ago that I had a bike back in Houston.
Interesting I don't recall this conversation at all.
Quote:
Have you ever lived in a dense urban area, where the benefits of the public transportation options outweigh those of private vehicles? I realize this is not the case in certain parts of the Bay Area, but it is true for many.
The area I live in is highly walkable and I agree if the distance is close to my home then I won't take the motorcycle I prefer to walk as well for the same reasons you mention.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
Btw, an expensive, fancy, fast car in SF these days is laughable considering it'll have to crawl along in traffic with the rest of the cars while the public transit and even bicycles pass them (LMAO!).
Not to mention the badly beat up streets in SF that can cause you to need an alignment!

I also would not trust the tight parking spots where others will nick and scrape your bumpers.

Having a car in SF is more like punishment.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:22 PM

732 posts, read 971,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Then don't. No need to reply to make this statement...it would be better stated with no reply.

On that note I don't believe for one second that you have ever once in your entire life ridden a motorcycle. If so you would not be waving your pom poms for pubic transportation.

Try out a motorcycle and you will gladly toss those pom poms.

Just imagine the "creative writing" marathons you could pull off with Bay Area motorcycling experience!!!!
A problem with a motorcycle in SF is it's not only dangerous because so many 4-wheeled vehicle drivers can't drive worth a crap and use their cellphones while driving but also have you seen how so many of the 4-wheeled vehicle drivers in SF don't stay centered in their lanes in heavy traffic? Especially during gridlock times in some areas they turn across lanes, sit blocking intersections when they shouldn't have entered, etc.. Lane splitting becomes impossible with those idiotic drivers on the street.

Also, motorcycles still have to be parked on the street at curbs, and often there still isn't enough room even for a motorcycle to park without squeezing in & blocking a parked 4-wheeled vehicle.

I used to drive motorcycles & scooters here in SF, but stopped in the 90s when it got too crowded & dangerous. I also stopped riding a bicycle in heavily-trafficked areas at the same time then not long afterward stopped riding a bicycle altogether.

I believe it's slightly more dangerous riding a 2-wheeler in traffic than walking. Even walking is dangerous, but we pedestrians have better chances of getting out of the way of the reckless, speeding drivers in time and can take measures to avoid the 4-wheeled vehicle drivers who can't see past blind spots.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
A problem with a motorcycle in SF is it's not only dangerous because so many 4-wheeled vehicle drivers can't drive worth a crap and use their cellphones while driving but also have you seen how so many of the 4-wheeled vehicle drivers in SF don't stay centered in their lanes in heavy traffic? Especially during gridlock times in some areas they turn across lanes, sit blocking intersections when they shouldn't have entered, etc.. Lane splitting becomes impossible with those idiotic drivers on the street.

Also, motorcycles still have to be parked on the street at curbs, and often there still isn't enough room even for a motorcycle to park without squeezing in & blocking a parked 4-wheeled vehicle.

I used to drive motorcycles & scooters here in SF, but stopped in the 90s when it got too crowded & dangerous. I also stopped riding a bicycle in heavily-trafficked areas at the same time then not long afterward stopped riding a bicycle altogether.

I believe it's slightly more dangerous riding a 2-wheeler in traffic than walking. Even walking is dangerous, but we pedestrians have better chances of getting out of the way of the reckless, speeding drivers in time and can take measures to avoid the 4-wheeled vehicle drivers who can't see past blind spots.
Anytime you are on the street whether it be walking, biking, motorcycling/mopeding driving or using Public Transportation you can be in a situation of danger.

You can lane spit in SF once everyone comes to a stop at the lights...that is what I do and yes there are the idiots who can't stay in their lane while driving down the street. I just wait until the light turns and then I go around them...very simple.

Also as far as the bad drivers go a good motorcycle rider sees everything...so it does not matter if the driver does not see me or is distracted...I see them and keep out of harms way.

I have never had an issue finding a place to park my motorcycle in SF even on crazy busy days when the Air Show is in town.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:37 PM

I love having a car to get out of town on the weekends. For instance, I drove up to Truckee just for the drive and to do some hiking around Tahoe this past weekend. That's difficult without a car, although there's a car-less guy in my office who makes the trip to Tahoe all the time by riding Amtrak.

When you live in a dense city, your life doesn't revolve around cars. It's not that having one is a punishment (though it is very expensive) it's that for getting around the City, it's less of a hassle to take public transportation, a cab, or a car service. The car comes in handy for grocery shopping (when we don't have our groceries delivered) or for trips out west to the park, museums, beach, Lands End, Clement St. restaurants, etc. Plus, my wife uses it to commute to the East Bay for work, where she has free parking.

There are reasonably convenient and efficient public transportation options for all of these trips (including my wife's commute) but the car is more convenient for those distances and the parking variable (a big deal in central SF and a few other Bay Area spots) is negated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland