Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 10:11 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,183,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I know you're bored/trolling, but I honestly thought you were smart enough to know the difference between a city like Oakland- one that has an international airport, one of the largest shipping ports in the country, two professional sports teams, an fifty different neighborhoods- and a city like Tracy. I guess I was wrong. Oh well, it certainly explains your narrow/limited views on so many things.
Oakland became an international airport because they offer flights to like two cities in mexico. Its not a real international airport like ohare in chicaga, which offers flights to paris, london, etc.

Half of the ports that are larger than oakland are not in real cities. Do you think savannah is a city???

And suburbs and towns have sports teams too. Do you not pay attention to sports in this country? Is santa clara and arlington texas what you consider to be a city?

Nevermind that oaklands sports teams literally play in the most suburban part of the flats.

I don't see what oaklands neighborhoods has to do with anything. Most of them are suburban. With arterial roads, strip malls, and single family homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 11:11 AM

6,421 posts, read 8,308,230 times
Wow. You are really reaching here.

1. Oakland actually flies to Guadalajara, Mexico City, Stockholm, Olso, and the Azores in Portugal.

2. The port of Oakland is the 5th biggest in the county, behind Long Beach, LA, Newark, and Savannah. Maybe YOU don't consider those cities 'real', but other people certainly do. Savannah would be a small city, while LBC and Newark would be considered medium cities, and LA would be considered a large city. At least if you're going on widely accepted definitions of cities, based on population...

3. Oakland has sports franchises that are actually named after the CITY of Oakland. Last I checked, it was the San Francisco 49ers (who just moved to Santa Clara) and the Texas Rangers (who play in Arlington Texas). That whole argument is dumb anyway since lots of teams don't actually play in the city of their namesake.

4. I don't know many towns that have 50 different neighborhoods. In fact, I can't think of a single one. Mostly because towns are pretty small and don't have 400,000 people in them. LOL

Old 05-10-2014, 01:23 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,183,738 times
Quote:
Wow. You are really reaching here.

1. Oakland actually flies to Guadalajara, Mexico City, Stockholm, Olso, and the Azores in Portugal.

2. The port of Oakland is the 5th biggest in the county, behind Long Beach, LA, Newark, and Savannah. Maybe YOU don't consider those cities 'real', but other people certainly do. Savannah would be a small city, while LBC and Newark would be considered medium cities, and LA would be considered a large city. At least if you're going on widely accepted definitions of cities, based on population...

3. Oakland has sports franchises that are actually named after the CITY of Oakland. Last I checked, it was the San Francisco 49ers (who just moved to Santa Clara) and the Texas Rangers (who play in Arlington Texas). That whole argument is dumb anyway since lots of teams don't actually play in the city of their namesake.

4. I don't know many towns that have 50 different neighborhoods. In fact, I can't think of a single one. Mostly because towns are pretty small and don't have 400,000 people in them. LOL

I'm not reaching at all. Cities have sky scrapers, their own public transit authorites, and large economies. None of which are found in oakland. It really doesn't matter to me if you think you are in a city.

Being from north carolina, you probably haven't spent much time in a real city.

Anyone who has actually been to brooklyn knows it is part of a real city, while oakland simply does not pass muster.

I know the sport arguement is dumb, but hey you brought it up.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:39 PM

749 posts, read 923,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
The only similarities are the influx of hipsters. Other than that NO.
Brooklyn, NY, has a very large Afro-American neighborhood, with a recent sports facility built there by Beyonce and her spouse. I understand Oakland also has a very- large Afro- American community.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I'm not reaching at all. Cities have sky scrapers, their own public transit authorites, and large economies. None of which are found in oakland. It really doesn't matter to me if you think you are in a city.

Being from north carolina, you probably haven't spent much time in a real city.

Anyone who has actually been to brooklyn knows it is part of a real city, while oakland simply does not pass muster.

I know the sport arguement is dumb, but hey you brought it up.
AC Transit and BART are HQ-ed in Oakland. These are some pretty arbitrary definitions you have for the definition of a city. Most is population. Sometimes density is also a consideration. Oakland has enough of both to qualify as a city. Not all cities are exactly the same in form or function.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_p View Post
it's a new york paper for new yorkers. They said new "brooklyn" because they can relate to the article because of the gentrification also I didnt bother reading article

I beg your pardon, you stated, "It's a New York paper for New Yorkers......" The New York Times, is read around the world.....

Old 05-10-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
That's laughable, Oakland is a city and Brooklyn is a big suburb of Manhattan
Brooklyn is one of the five NYC boroughs that make NYC, and it has over 2,538,705 people. Myriad of writers, scientists, and entertainers, have been born there. I will not call it a "suburb of Manhattan."

If it were to secede from NYC, Brooklyn can very- well stand on its own.....

Old 05-10-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah but Alameda is generally nice EVERYWHERE. Can't really say the same thing about Staten Island or Vallejo. I'm sticking with my short sighted, superficial, and somewhat offensive comparison, thanks.
Staten Island, NY, household income near $71,000, per capita income $31,000, population over 400,000 people. The nicest and safest of all NYC boroughs.......

Alameda household income $67,000, per capita income $37,000, population 40,000 people.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:39 PM

6,421 posts, read 8,308,230 times
Sure, but both places (Vallejo and SI) have a lot of negative stereotypes surrounding them (mostly undeserved) and are seen as less desirable than other parts of their metros.

"Nice" is relative. Staten Island is decidedly looked down upon by LOTS of people.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,987,805 times
I went to NYC this weekend, for the first time in about 2 years, and we spend loads of time in Brooklyn (intentionally, to visit distant family there). Last time I went, I stopped in Williamsburg, and it felt like Temscal a little bit. Like the Temescal Alley version and not the more diverse version.

This time my trip to Williamsburg was like going to SOMA. It was horrible. There was so much construction and new development. Nothing like Oakland at all. And the Williamsburg Blue Bottle? I felt like I was in the new Mission, on Valencia Street. Bleech!

On the other hand Brooklyn Heights felt a lot more like Oakland (minus the diversity + the personalities) and Bed-Sty felt like Grand Lake circa 1999.

So I am so over the Brooklyn comparisons.

Oh and Jet Blue really loves this Oakland Style video, it was on repeat on the plane.

But I am totally jealous on how much new stuff has gone up in NYC in just a couple years, new bike lanes, like a million new apartments and stuff all over Brooklyn and Manhattan. I even noticed things that weren't there in my last visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland