Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,101 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Last year, I moved from Austin, Texas for a job in Novato, CA. At the time, I was renting out a room from a nice elderly lady here in Novato and stayed there until Sept (she was driving me nuts!). Luckily, I had a friend who was subleasing a room in his apt for a really cheap price in the Outer Richmond in SF. Unluckily, it came with a roommate that was ok at first, but it has recently gotten out of hand with his drug use.

Long story short, I am looking to get my own place and avoid having to deal with surprises from roommates. My big internal debate is deciding between staying in the city and trying to find a reasonably priced studio in the Richmond/Sunset area (doable, but the places are tiny), OR looking elsewhere within a reasonable commute radius to Novato.

I didn't enjoy Novato too much because I felt a bit too bored...well that and the old lady I was staying with was always home so I didn't really have any alone time.

I like the idea of Sonoma because I can get an actual house (or a large apartment) for the same price as a tiny studio in SF. I love the town, the plaza, and the folks there. And it's the same distance (commute-wise) to Novato as Novato is to SF.

Petaluma is also another option, but I recently visited during a weekend and found the lack of folks out and about in the downtown area to be a bit disturbing.

San Rafael is ok, but not as much bang for my buck as Petaluma or Novato.

My major concern with Sonoma is that I'm afraid I'll feel too alone and not be able to meet other gay singles up there. I'm not one too to go clubbing every night or anything, but I do occasionally like to connect with folks every once in a while.

My major concern with SF is that all the places I can afford seem quite small and I've been longing for a place to call my own for a while now.

Should I suck it up and look for a place in the city? Will I be happy with the Sonoma lifestyle?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 01:11 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzgonzo View Post
I like the idea of Sonoma because I can get an actual house (or a large apartment) for the same price as a tiny studio in SF. I love the town, the plaza, and the folks there. And it's the same distance (commute-wise) to Novato as Novato is to SF.

Petaluma is also another option, but I recently visited during a weekend and found the lack of folks out and about in the downtown area to be a bit disturbing.

San Rafael is ok, but not as much bang for my buck as Petaluma or Novato.

My major concern with Sonoma is that I'm afraid I'll feel too alone and not be able to meet other gay singles up there. I'm not one too to go clubbing every night or anything, but I do occasionally like to connect with folks every once in a while.
Do you mean the town of Sonoma, or Sonoma County generally?

I have a few gay friends who live up there -- one in Cotati, a couple in Santa Rosa, one in Sebastopol and some along the Russian River -- and they love it. Guerneville, as you've probably figured out by now, is a bit of a gay hotspot, with resorts and bars that draw hordes of visitors from all over the Bay Area on weekends. I don't know about the gay scene (if any) in Santa Rosa, but you're bound to find a nice, relatively inexpensive place to rent there, even in a nice area.

The problem with living north of Novato is that you'll have to commute via the "Novato Narrows," that weird non-freeway stretch of 101 south of Petaluma. It's a huge bottleneck. They're building a train to get around it, but I have no idea when it'll be ready, if ever. Likewise, the road itself is apparently being widened -- but that means construction delays in the short term.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Do you mean the town of Sonoma, or Sonoma County generally?

I have a few gay friends who live up there -- one in Cotati, a couple in Santa Rosa, one in Sebastopol and some along the Russian River -- and they love it. Guerneville, as you've probably figured out by now, is a bit of a gay hotspot, with resorts and bars that draw hordes of visitors from all over the Bay Area on weekends. I don't know about the gay scene (if any) in Santa Rosa, but you're bound to find a nice, relatively inexpensive place to rent there, even in a nice area.

The problem with living north of Novato is that you'll have to commute via the "Novato Narrows," that weird non-freeway stretch of 101 south of Petaluma. It's a huge bottleneck. They're building a train to get around it, but I have no idea when it'll be ready, if ever. Likewise, the road itself is apparently being widened -- but that means construction delays in the short term.
Thanks for the info! I meant more the town of Sonoma itself in that regard. It also doesn't help that I fear living in SF when "the big one" hits. The town of Sonoma seems to be relatively safe in that regard, but again, it's just a fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland