Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 06:57 PM

424 posts, read 554,766 times

Advertisements

I am an interested in moving to Albany. I have a job I am considering in Vallejo. My spouse is an embedded software engineer who feels there is a shortage of people with his skill set, and is not concerned about finding a job, but we would be able to live well on just my income. We will sell a 3500 sq ft newer home on an infill lot in a very popular Detroit suburb for at least 550K, but would not bank on a penny more because though things have improved, it is still the midwest. We would be in a position to buy something half the size in Albany for 50% more, or rent for about the same as our monthly expenses currently come to. We live within two blocks of an elementary school, community center, and library, and within two miles of the next town (small) that has restaurants, boutiques, coffee, movie theater, but in my opinion this is only accessible by foot 4-5 months per year due to the weather. There is no useful public transportation here to speak of, and I do not consider Detroit and up and coming city, though people here get very defensive about the blight just a few miles down the main drag.

We have two young preschool aged children, the older will be ready for kindergarten in a year. We are interested in the Bay area because of job prospects, primarily. We are highly educated, but very low maintenance. Our time off is spent primarily with the kids going to small local playgrounds and parks, museums with interest to the kids, socializing with our synagogue's young families group, and socializing with neighbors. The weather here is grey and bitter cold for 5-6 months a year, though there are outdoor types who go out anyway, I find it uncomfortable and spend those months, for the most part, running from my car to shelter. I am looking forward to being able to kiss the snow goodbye for good.

I have reviewed lots of info from this forum, I am interested in Albany because it is on public transportation, is reputed to have a community feel, it is commutable distance to Vallejo, is close to a Conservative Jewish synagogue that has an after school religious program, and is more 'in-town' than suburban.

I would like to hear from people who live in Albany. Is this a viable location for us long term? Are there small playgrounds and community activities for young children? Are there decent daycare options, or is childcare on a waiting-list-only basis? Are there walkable family places to eat, have coffee (does not have to be trendy)? Is it a place where people stay to raise their families, or do they tend to move inland east for larger homes? What are other options we should consider, given our values and job prospects?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 07:56 PM

434 posts, read 1,023,226 times
I'm not qualified to say much about Albany -- although I'm sure other forum visitors are! -- but do feel comfortable making one recommendation: if you possibly can, rent before you buy.

You've obviously done a lot of research, and strike me as careful and well-prepared. Still: any new community thousands of miles away will offer many unexpected surprises. If you buy before you come, you're locked into the neighborhood you chose from afar.

Good luck.

Last edited by California Vagabond; 11-13-2013 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: *

Old 11-13-2013, 08:03 PM

102 posts, read 170,978 times
Albany is an excellent place for families. In fact, many people specifically move there to raise kids from SF, Oakland, and Berkeley, as the schools are excellent and you are still in an urban area with many, many things going on.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:15 PM

3,980 posts, read 9,022,614 times
Albany is great as are many, many other places in the region! I would definitely take prior poster's advice...don't buy until you're set and sure you like where you're living.. Real estate is extremely pricey here.

Make sure you know what city your husband will be working FIRST. This is the most important thing when moving to these parts. If you're just coming out on spec, and he's in the tech industry you may want to consider anywhere closer to the Peninsula/South Bay for a start. Most tech jobs are in Silicon Valley---there are also many jobs in San Francisco, but again, it really depends. You would not want your husband to commute to Silicon Valley from Albany. That would be absolutely brutal.

So... job first, find a rental (or the other way around), then see what communities are good for your family.

FYI...all the great amenities generally come with a huge price tag.. Everybody (from natives to to newcomers) wants exactly what you want also, and is absolutely priced accordingly!

Old 11-13-2013, 08:39 PM

424 posts, read 554,766 times
Thanks.
Strange, though originally I thought most of the tech jobs would be in San Jose/Palo Alto/Milipitas area, when he started scouting around, in his niche, it turns out, there are many opportunities in San Francisco with a smattering inland in Walnut Creek area. I originally was dead set on the peninsula, Palo Alto, in particular, but this job came up with a very good future in my specialty niche at a pay level that would allow me to work a normal work week, and if needed, my husband would not have to work at all. We both like this option as I have put my career advancement on hold for the kids, and he has worked like a veritable slave. This would give us one parent at home, but flexible to take contracts that are favorable, and the other parent with the steady benefit laden job. As older parents, this is a nice thought for us.

I appreciate the suggestion to rent first. My only concern is that I am out of my element here, having owned my own home for the last 23 years, and it feels natural (though more a feeling than a rational thought) to want my own again - but I have looked into rentals as well, and for some reason it seems that the rents are almost more favorable given the cost of purchasing. Perhaps someone can comment on why that seems so to me?

Old 11-13-2013, 10:06 PM

6,421 posts, read 8,328,278 times
Now just isn't a good time to buy in the Bay Area. People are cashing in and selling old dumpy houses at a premium to all cash buyers. The inventory is really low and the demand is sky high, so unless you want to get sucked into a bidding war for what will be a grossly overpriced property, it's smarter to rent for now and wait it out.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:10 PM

507 posts, read 923,326 times
I just arrived in Berkeley. It's awesome. Do it.

On the flip side, I'm presently in a tiny short-term rental and have yet to brave the horrors of the real estate market (after having a pleasant past six years owning in Texas).

PS. Add 20% to all list prices you see on the MLS to arrive at the actual sales price. Houses are sold auction-style here. Good luck.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:43 PM

20% is low balling it. 30% and CASH is what you'll need.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:19 AM

507 posts, read 923,326 times
In SF, perhaps. My feel for Berkeley / "NOBE" is 10-20% based on the houses I've "starred" on Redfin and watched through closing.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:42 PM

The three houses my partner and I bid on all closed for over 30% list and were all cash offers. Offers were put in back in April/May and they were in Oakland and San Leandro, but ymmv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland