Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,800 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to the bay area from Atlanta for my job. I'm in my late 20s and I'm considering walnut Creek and Emeryville. Any recommendations when choosing between these two cities? I will be working in the Richmond/Pinole area if that makes a difference but I don't I mind the driving from WC. Any advice and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 03:14 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
WC if you like a somewhat more rural community, slower pace. Emeryville if you like an urban environment. Emeryville is on San Francisco Bay, and there's the Berkeley Marina and large park right nearby. Walnut Creek is on the other side of the Berkeley Hills, landlocked. Weather is warmer in summer (air conditioning is needed), colder in winter. Plus your commute would involve travelling through the Caldecot Tunnel, a commuting nightmare. Berkeley (Emeryville) is cooler (it gets fog from the Golden Gate mornings and evenings) in the summer, and is full of a wide variety of restaurants and nightlife. Easy access to the freeway to Pinole, etc. Less crime in WC, though. WC is more family-oriented, Berkeley--better for singles.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:17 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Walnut Creek is a safe suburban city with a thriving little downtown area. It is quiet for the most part and out of the way from Oakland/Berkeley and San Francisco. Emeryville has a lot more crime, but it is mostly theft related. It has a thriving little downtown area too and is near Oakland/Berkeley and San Francisco. It is more diverse and urban than Walnut Creek, which is mostly White. It is also more fast paced, but still nothing crazy. If you want to live in a more urban environment closer to major cities, choose Emeryville. If you want an upper-middle class, safe suburban city, choose Walnut Creek.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If you want an upper-middle class, safe suburban city, choose Walnut Creek.
Interesting choice, as framed here. Let's see: do I want crime/danger, or do I want safety? Umm... I think I'll pick...crime/danger.

I'd choose Berkeley/Emeryville in a heartbeat. Emeryville is close to a couple of thriving restaurant districts, a bus-ride away from BART, close to nightlife and a young, university crowd, has a beautiful view across the Bay of San Francisco, parks nearby and other amenities. WC is tame, quiet, staid, potentially boring for a 20-something, unless they're into that. The more rural setting might appeal, who knows?

OP, what say you?

Old 05-20-2013, 03:38 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting choice, as framed here. Let's see: do I want crime/danger, or do I want safety? Umm... I think I'll pick...crime/danger.
Are you saying you disagree with my summaries of Emeryville and Walnut Creek.

1) If you want to live in a more urban environment closer to major cities, choose Emeryville.
2) If you want an upper-middle class, safe suburban city, choose Walnut Creek.

What are the main differences... location, urban vs suburban, and crime.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Personally I think WC would be really boring for a 20 something (it is more family oriented than single oriented).

More importantly, that is a terrible commute. You'd be stuck in all of the traffic going to the Bay Bridge. It would take about an hour during commute times. If you want something sleepier, try Alameda. At least the commute would be much better.

Outside of commute times, Walnut Creek is an easy trip to Oakland and Berkeley, about 15 minutes or so.

But honestly, I'd look at Berkeley, Oakland or Albany over Emeryville itself. Unless you have to have a new apartment.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
But honestly, I'd look at Berkeley, Oakland or Albany over Emeryville itself. Unless you have to have a new apartment.
This is a good idea. Albany or El Cerrito would be closer to the OP's job, and still an easy BART ride to Berkeley restaurants, and other amenities.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:47 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Emeryville...you're a lot closer to Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco....basically anywhere you'd want to be. It's also a straight shot up I-80 to Richmond, and even better, you'd be going against the morning commute to SF.
The residential area of E-ville (away from Hollis and toward San Pablo) does share neighborhoods with sketchy areas of North Oakland, but the Emeryville Police Dept patrols much harder than OPD, so most people doing crime tend to stay on the other side of the border.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:10 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Are u sure you're okay with the commute from WC? Emeryville is a lot closer and based on that alone I'd recommend it over WC. Coming from Atlanta you might prefer the weather in WC as its much warmer overall, assuming you like warmer weather of course. It just really depends on what type of environment you prefer.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:19 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,402 times
I think if you're going to Richmond from either place it will be fine, but Emeryville would be heads and tails easier. If Hwy 4 or the Caldecott are blocked due to traffic, you're SOL.

Emeryville = cool (temp), younger crowd, more ethnic, different vibe than WC
WC = HOT (hothothothothot), more white suburban feel, somewhat cheaper than Emeryville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland