Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,031,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
So you're dumping on Oakland and a decision that long gone leadership made because you're worried about the decision they'll make next.
Why wouldn't I?

Oakland makes pitch for new stadium - Raiders - The Sacramento Bee

You act like anything has changed in Oakland since the 90s. There's a $200,000,000 short fall though in Oakland's quest to give the Raiders MORE of the cities money. Let's guess where Oakland is going to get that money from. Maybe Oakland will layoff 200 more Oakland officers, close down every after school problem they have for troubled youth, and a few senior centers. That should do the trick!

Like I said, same skyrocketing violent crime, same idiot pursuit of appeasing sports teams. In Oakland, it's the same old, same old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 09:13 AM

386 posts, read 801,446 times
The actual cost to the city is almost 30 million per year, but that is for all three teams and includes kickbacks (subsidies) to the owners. The 17 million is only the Raiders portion.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:26 PM

343 posts, read 447,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
I'd pretty much agree with that, though I don't think anyone is talking about putting public funds into keeping the A's. I think then Mayor Jerry Brown made a wise call when he said that Uptown should be about housing and restaurants and entertainment, not a sports stadium. That decision has paid off many times over.
But whatever the Mayor and Council do going forward is not going to undo the Raiders deal.
Uptown could have had a new stadium AND housing/restaurants/entertainment. There is no shortage of empty/underused lots around downtown/uptown for housing. There is a shortage of plausible ballpark sites. Uptown was the best but Brown had a single track mind for housing so we got three apartment buildings and one empty lot. It's easy to imagine a baseball stadium being the centerpiece of an uptown renaissance, but it'll never happen now.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:37 PM

14,829 posts, read 14,859,532 times
Brown was friends with Forest City developers who built condos on the potential ballpark site and probably got a nice kickback as a result. There's no reason to believe the anti-Oakland former or current A's owners would've built a park on the site, but you're right it would've been a perfect fit for what's happening in Uptown right now.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:59 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,864,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Why wouldn't I?

Oakland makes pitch for new stadium - Raiders - The Sacramento Bee

You act like anything has changed in Oakland since the 90s. There's a $200,000,000 short fall though in Oakland's quest to give the Raiders MORE of the cities money. Let's guess where Oakland is going to get that money from. Maybe Oakland will layoff 200 more Oakland officers, close down every after school problem they have for troubled youth, and a few senior centers. That should do the trick!

Like I said, same skyrocketing violent crime, same idiot pursuit of appeasing sports teams. In Oakland, it's the same old, same old!
I've lived and worked in Oakland since the 90's and before. I know that things have changed a lot.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM

343 posts, read 447,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Brown was friends with Forest City developers who built condos on the potential ballpark site and probably got a nice kickback as a result. There's no reason to believe the anti-Oakland former or current A's owners would've built a park on the site, but you're right it would've been a perfect fit for what's happening in Uptown right now.
Schott and Hoffman did not have their sights set on Fremont or SJ at that point. The ballpark study identified Uptown as the best site for a park. Robert Bobb was leading the charge for the city. There was more public and private money available at that point. It could have happened if Brown wanted it. We got housing (and an empty lot) instead.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,031,990 times
Can anyone explain how the cost of keeping sports teams in Oakland are justified?

Has the presence of the Raiders really "rejuvenated" the city with tourism?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 AM

181 posts, read 321,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamadon1 View Post
Schott and Hoffman did not have their sights set on Fremont or SJ at that point. The ballpark study identified Uptown as the best site for a park. Robert Bobb was leading the charge for the city. There was more public and private money available at that point. It could have happened if Brown wanted it. We got housing (and an empty lot) instead.
Amen to that! That would've been a PERFECT site for a new ballpark, and would have been much more feasible in 2002 than it is now. In my opinion, that was just another example of Oakland getting the short end of the stick. With building those apartments, not only did Oakland lose its best and most feasible ballpark site, but it also settled for a large apartment complex which has no retail. Those "Uptown" apartments should at least have some retail on the first floor, similar to the Americana at Glendale, or at the very least, like Emeryville's Bay Street. Instead, we're stuck with a plethora of apartments where, while nice, aren't exactly as economically effective as they could be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland