Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2012, 03:59 PM

19 posts, read 26,719 times

Advertisements

So I have a 91 Honda accord and it is not passing smog due to having 1000+ rpms where it normally should be around 750. Any ideas what the cost to fix this issue or ways to lower the rpms so that is can pass smog?

Also, other than filing for an extension to eventually make repairs to the vehicle can I retire or sell the vehicle if I am unable to complete full registration due to not passing smog?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,754,394 times
I only go to Gold Shield Smog Stations because they are allowed to fix problems...

Without a smog... car is only worth salvage

Old 10-27-2012, 09:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,437,637 times
Clean the throttle plate and throttle body, and check that the air filter is clean. If I remember correctly at that age there was still an idle speed adjustment screw rather than being set by the computer. I think this is it, #1 on the lower right.

Honda Automotive Parts

Old 10-27-2012, 11:33 PM

245 posts, read 608,929 times
Register the car in another state, like South Dakota. Their law specifically allows for out-of-state, non-resident registrations. They also don't have vehicle or SMOG inspections and you do not need to show proof of insurance. It all can be done by mail. I mailed my application and check in (way under $100) and got my license plates, title, disability placards, and registration back in a week or so.

It would be better to get your driver's license there too, so it matches your state of registration. Or at least tell any police officer who questions you that you are either visiting here or are a student, either here or in SD. For a SD license, all you have to do is use a mail forwarding service in South Dakota for about $100 per year since you will need a SD address, which they gladly provide...and you can set it up by mail. It's all on the Internet and SD Motor Vehicle approves of it. Heck, you can even rent a USPS PO Box there for just three months and have your mail forwarded to CA. Look up especially "full-time RV'ers South Dakota" or "full-timers South Dakota" or "full-time traveler South Dakota" on google. They want to be friendly to those as they provide lots of money to the state's coffers. Most use South Dakota as their "home" state but don't live there. You only have to travel to SD once every 5 years to get your picture taken for your license. That's what I do.

Last edited by mileena; 10-27-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Old 10-28-2012, 12:43 AM

32 posts, read 105,210 times
What I do is make sure the air filter is new/cleaned and the oil/oil filter is freshly changed. You can also pull off the connection from the throttle body to the air cleaner. You will have to loosen the air filter connection This will expose access to your IACV (idle air control valve) which affects idle speed. It is a small hole just before the throttle body valve. It usually gets dirty and you can't hold an idle but other idle problems can result as well. I use some carb cleaner and spray heavily the down that hole. The valve usually can be cleaned that way. A replacement valve runs $300+ but is rarely needed. You can also use some paper towels to also clean up the carbon/dirt that loosened fron your throttle valve. In my experience that has helped. Here are some links

Camry Idle Air Control Valve Cleaning - YouTube

How to clean a throttle body and Idle air control valve (iac) - YouTube

Honda Accord Idle Surging Issue Resolved! - YouTube ( pay attention to this video)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland