Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:28 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,932,516 times

Advertisements

What are some major issues why one would or would not consider moving to Pacifica, Half Moon Bay versus the usual Peninsula corridor? Working at airport. 2 kids in middle school. Are schools excellent, very good, good, fair, bad? Is fog type weather totally oppressive (yesterday seemed fine but I think Sept/Oct are best not representative months). Other major issues? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 11:45 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,721,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
What are some major issues why one would or would not consider moving to Pacifica, Half Moon Bay versus the usual Peninsula corridor? Working at airport. 2 kids in middle school. Are schools excellent, very good, good, fair, bad? Is fog type weather totally oppressive (yesterday seemed fine but I think Sept/Oct are best not representative months). Other major issues? Thanks in advance.
The coast has more fog and wind than the usual peninsula corridor. To get between the bay and ocean, you have to travel over the mountains on 2 lane roads. Both Pacifica and Half Moon Bay are small towns and there's limited shopping and things to do.

The schools in San Carlos are very good.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:00 PM

749 posts, read 838,462 times
^^^^ he pretty much nailed it.

I live in Half Moon Bay. Going into the city is a piece of cake...Hwy 1 through Pacifica, no problem. However, to get anywhere on the central Peninsula, Hwy 92 is the main option. During rush hour times it can get tedious. My wife and I really enjoy the weather out here, but realize it's not for everyone.

Pacifica has two Safeway's at either end of town, with a couple of smaller independent markets in the middle. Half Moon Bay/El Granada...etc, etc....has a Safeway and a community Market, along with a Farmer's Market at Pillar Point on Sunday. That's about it. Other than hardware items at the very well-stocked Ace Hardware, it's over the hill for anything else.

Probably the biggest issue for us is the weekend traffic from all of the out of towners coming over the hill to escape the heat. The hotter it is along the peninsula, the worse the traffic gets on Hwy 1/92.

I guess what I am saying is: If you want to get away from the rat race a bit, and the heat of the summers, yet still have some decent access, Pacifica is a better choice. Half Moon Bay and its neighboring towns are more remote, yet in my opinion, a nicer area than Pacifica. Yes, I lived in both places.

good luck...

Old 09-13-2012, 12:43 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Working at which airport, S.F.? Then you have good advice from Lefty Trav. Halfmoon Bay is a very small rural community, if you like that sort of thing. About 30 minutes' drive from there is Santa Cruz, which has better weather, and more going on, being a university town. Nice downtown shopping district, a Whole Foods grocery and a couple of other organic groceries, along with Safeway and Albertson's. I'm suggesting that it would be good for weekend visits. A bit too far a commute to work for your needs, but a good place for family activities.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
^^^^ he pretty much nailed it.

I live in Half Moon Bay. Going into the city is a piece of cake...Hwy 1 through Pacifica, no problem. However, to get anywhere on the central Peninsula, Hwy 92 is the main option. During rush hour times it can get tedious. My wife and I really enjoy the weather out here, but realize it's not for everyone.

Pacifica has two Safeway's at either end of town, with a couple of smaller independent markets in the middle. Half Moon Bay/El Granada...etc, etc....has a Safeway and a community Market, along with a Farmer's Market at Pillar Point on Sunday. That's about it. Other than hardware items at the very well-stocked Ace Hardware, it's over the hill for anything else.

Probably the biggest issue for us is the weekend traffic from all of the out of towners coming over the hill to escape the heat. The hotter it is along the peninsula, the worse the traffic gets on Hwy 1/92.

I guess what I am saying is: If you want to get away from the rat race a bit, and the heat of the summers, yet still have some decent access, Pacifica is a better choice. Half Moon Bay and its neighboring towns are more remote, yet in my opinion, a nicer area than Pacifica. Yes, I lived in both places.

good luck...
Thanks all and LeftyTrav.
Trader Joes?
How long does it take along 92 to airport from HM?
If one lives in Pacifica, which is better to drive east - Sharp Rd or Up the 1 to 280 - is that tedious too? Also how long to airport?

Old 09-13-2012, 03:50 PM

bloom,

The airport from Pacifica is no problem. You can either take Sharp Park Rd (my choice) and catch the 280 to the 380 to the 101. Or Hwy 1 to the 280 and on from there. Do you actually work at the airport? If so, 9-5'ish...or what?

HMB to the airport going the 92 is all about the time you depart. If it's during morning commute, I would absolutely recommend taking HWY 1 to Sharp Park Rd as mentioned above (about 40+/-mins). Less aggravation and a bit quicker. Any other time, you can take the 92 to either the 280 N...or take it down to the 101. Either way you're looking at 30-35mins travel time to SFO. Again, it will depend on what time you need to go. From about 7am-9:30am the 92 can be slow. The only good thing is East Bound the 92 does go into two lanes for passing for a nice stretch. It does help.

No Trader Joe's along the Ocean side. Nearest would be either the Westlake shopping center in Daly City, or there are a couple in San Mateo over the hill using the 92....one on Hillsdale Blvd the other I think on Grant St.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:09 PM

2,201 posts, read 3,358,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
No Trader Joe's along the Ocean side. Nearest would be either the Westlake shopping center in Daly City, or there are a couple in San Mateo over the hill using the 92....one on Hillsdale Blvd the other I think on Grant St.
There is a Trader Joe's in Millbrae. When I worked at SFO employees who drove would frequently take a drive over during lunch to shop.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:15 PM

28 posts, read 49,562 times
I personally would prefer to live in San Carlos due to the climate, shopping facilities, schools, and recreational facilities. I am more of a city person, though. If you want to get away from the city life, but still be near everything Half Moon Bay could be the ticket. I enjoy taking walks around HMB, going to the beach, fishing, and visiting the shops around there. They have nice stores for agricultural purposes.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
There is a Trader Joe's in Millbrae. When I worked at SFO employees who drove would frequently take a drive over during lunch to shop.
Yes, I didn't include that one because it didn't as direct a route to it from Pacifica or HMB....but it slipped my mind that it could be hit on the way home from the airport.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:25 PM

Schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland