Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 10:58 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,733 times

Advertisements

Any first hand recommendations on a B&B in either locale that is not over the top on price. Been to all the review sites, there are just so many was hoping for some first hand experiences.

Coming in September for a conference in San Fran but plan to stay (2) nights in the Napa/Sonoma area before staying in San Fran for the rest of week.

Thanks for any input. Price range is $150-$200 per night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Napa, but they are nearby, so it doesn't really matter. I prefer Napa though.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Napa, but they are nearby, so it doesn't really matter. I prefer Napa though.
Any first hand knowledge on any of them?

Old 05-23-2012, 12:33 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
I personally preferred Sonoma - but they are close by

This is where my wife & I stayed .... we had the Vineyard View Suite

Sonoma Valley Bed and Breakfast

Whole experience was great and loved being just a short walk from the square area in sonoma

unfotunately it looks like you are going on "high season" so the lowest priced room would exceed the top part of your budget

so I guess that while I have some first hand experience it's not the most relevant ..... I can say that what I liked about the place was that the staff was great, the room was nice and most important to me it provided a nice jumping off point ... we had some nice walks, bike rides, meals and even able to visit a couple of wineries without having to turn on the ignition

wherever you end up you should have a fanstastic time though - it's a nice area and should be fantastic in the fall

Old 05-23-2012, 01:21 PM

457 posts, read 756,716 times
I prefer Sonoma over Napa. To be honest, I actually prefer the Russian river area the most. I have stayed at a B&B in Healdsburg within walking distance to downtown Healdsburg. It was a great experience. I also feel that the wineries in Sonoma are just better - in terms of quality of wine, lack of tourists, and of course free wine tasting. Visit Merry Edwards and Gary Ferrell wineries - two of my favorite wineries in the region.

One thing that Napa has an edge over Sonoma is high end restaurants. You can go to Yontville for some upscale dining at one of Thomas Keller establishments.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
I prefer Sonoma over Napa. To be honest, I actually prefer the Russian river area the most. I have stayed at a B&B in Healdsburg within walking distance to downtown Healdsburg. It was a great experience. I also feel that the wineries in Sonoma are just better - in terms of quality of wine, lack of tourists, and of course free wine tasting. Visit Merry Edwards and Gary Ferrell wineries - two of my favorite wineries in the region.

One thing that Napa has an edge over Sonoma is high end restaurants. You can go to Yontville for some upscale dining at one of Thomas Keller establishments.
Great Info. I was actually thinking maye Russian River as well. Any B&B's you know of over there that you can recommend.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:44 PM

203 posts, read 428,291 times
Sonoma>Napa

I feel that the commercialization in Napa is just annoying. Think of Napa as the Times Square of NY. Sonoma is much more chill and the folks at the wineries have been much more pleasant to speak with in comparison to the rush rush of Napa.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:33 PM

457 posts, read 756,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcub View Post
Great Info. I was actually thinking maye Russian River as well. Any B&B's you know of over there that you can recommend.
I stayed at the Haydon Street Inn at Healdsburg. I would recommend it. The owner was very friendly and organized wine and cheese events every evening.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:43 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Sonoma is much nicer, laid back, and less pretentious. The wine might be better in Napa, but unless you're willing to spend a hundred bucks on a bottle and pay $20 for a wine tasting, Sonoma is the better choice.

Downtown Sonoma kicks ass. Downtown Napa? Well...

Old 05-23-2012, 08:22 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times
Napa is great, once you get past it, into the northern towns in the valley. Napa itself is sorta lame. I echo the reco of Sonoma, though. Very nice and unpretentious. You can find a lot of friendly tasting room staff and good places to eat, too. Take a walk on Sonoma Square and buy some fresh bread, cheese and things from the shops. Then head to a winery and purchase a bottle to enjoy on their grounds and make a picnic. It's a great and inexpensive way to enjoy Wine Country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland