Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 05:27 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,924,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
While I'm guessing some Caltrain haters, and anti-electrification folks on this forum will be happy about this:

Atherton has decided to sue Caltrain to stop the electrification efforts:

Atherton, high-speed rail foes sue to block electrifying Caltrain - SFGate

I think this is bad news that will hurt Caltrain and commuting in the peninsula and Silicon Valley.
This is so insanely stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 06:58 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,433,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What idiocy. Time to attend and protest at some of their meetings.

The State itself hasnt even decided if they are going to even issue any part of the $9B bond to even begin the first leg, which wont even be in the Bay Area.

Money from Bay Area transportation could put high speed rail on fast track | news10.net
What's especially bad about this is that the "get off my #!#!! lawn" guy in Atherton who used to post here will fight them in court, it will be delayed and over budget, meanwhile all the middle income people in places besides SF, the Peninsula and South Bay who slog it daily to get to work will continue to suffer endlessly. What a criminal mis-allocation of funds.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,928,883 times
Quote:
While I'm guessing some Caltrain haters, and anti-electrification folks on this forum will be happy about this:

I think this is bad news that will hurt Caltrain and commuting in the peninsula and Silicon Valley.
This was an obvious outcome and why I did not support HSR on the Peninsula. It is full of NIMBYs with enough influence to stop the project. Atherton is first. And if they fail at least half of the Peninsula cities will do the same and form a coalition to help each other. The odds of electrification happening are less than 25%.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:31 PM

372 posts, read 514,679 times
Electrification will happen, the final environmental impact report has already been certified by the Joint Powers Board which represents SF, San Mateo, Santa Clara counties. Funding is in place. The request went out last week to contractors for proposals.

Atherton already sued regarding the draft EIR and largely lost. Atherton is suing and claiming the EIR isn't satisfactory because they want MORE trains to stop in Atherton. Kind of an oxymoron. If they don't approve of the EIR, why do they want more trains? They are attempting extortion - "if you don't give us what we want we will attack you with our high-priced lawyers".

Last edited by calicoastal; 02-10-2015 at 10:42 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 02:53 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,863,330 times
Quote:

Why would anybody in Atherton care about commuters? Those are the little people who work. Perhaps not even worthy of merely passing through town?

Old 02-12-2015, 10:16 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,078,055 times
Yeah, I don't know why the HSR would have to go to SF. They can get to it with Caltrain.

The answer is politics, SF thinks they are too important to not get HSR there directly. But it just delays things with complaints from property owners on the Peninsula.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:23 AM

36,668 posts, read 67,629,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Yeah, I don't know why the HSR would have to go to SF. They can get to it with Caltrain.

The answer is politics, SF thinks they are too important to not get HSR there directly. But it just delays things with complaints from property owners on the Peninsula.
Jerry Brown views this as part of his legacy so common sense be damned.

If there's one thing I loathe, it's the notion that "since we've already wasted billions, we can't stop now"...that amounts to extortion of taxpayers in my book.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:01 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,078,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Jerry Brown views this as part of his legacy so common sense be damned.

If there's one thing I loathe, it's the notion that "since we've already wasted billions, we can't stop now"...that amounts to extortion of taxpayers in my book.
Yep. I'm a moderate liberal and I voted no on the high speed rail. I also voted for Meg Whitman for Governor, and for Arnold Schwarzenegger both times (however I also voted for Obama both times).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland