Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 01:56 AM

2 posts, read 7,851 times

Advertisements

currntly living in SJ but soon to start work in Pleasanton..

I am looking to move so that I can be no more than 30 to 45 mins away from my new job in Pleasanton, no more than 45 mins to SJ, and no more than 20 - 30 mins to SF.

Oakland seems like a great option but is anyone doing this commute now? Is Oak commute in the AM and PM opposite of traffic? (my thinking is most drivers are leaving Pleasanton area to go OUT to the SF area) The areas I am considering are the hills, lake merrit, and montclair but I am unsure of the freeways 580 vs 880 and the traffic on these.

I am also open to other cities but not sure what to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 09:41 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
It should be very consistent. That's the reverse direction. You definitely want to stay on 580 and avoid 880 altogether. I live near the Harrison Exit on 580. Off peak, it is about 25-30 minutes to Pleasanton (depending on where you are going). Weekdays would be a tiny bit longer, there is a little traffic jam in Dublin/Pleasanton on the 680 interchange, but it only adds a few minutes to the commute. The way home could be a little longer, you might run into a bit of traffic leaving Pleasanton, or a bit once you head towards the 24 interchange, but it isn't too bad. You'll be able to go at least 65 for almost the entire way.

You should definitely live in an area not too far from 580 to save yourself time. If you need to go from 880 to 580 or 880 to 238 to 580 it will add lots of time for your commute. You also do not want to take 24 in the morning. That's completely backed up for people taking the Bay Bridge.

You didn't really mention a neighborhood type preference, but your best bets for proximity to 580 are the Piedmont Ave, Grand Lake, Adams Point, Cleveland Heights, the southern end of Temescal, Lakeshore, Dimond, Laurel, Glenview to start. These places are all about the same distance, but the last 3 places on the list will be around 5 minutes shorter than the time I mentioned. The other ones are probably about the same as I mentioned. They have access to adjacent freeway exits.

45 minutes to SJ is a best case scenario from Oakland. It definitely works on the weekend and off peak times. Impossible other times of day. From where I live, it is a 12-15 minute ride over the Bay Bridge when there is no traffic (typically 30 with traffic), a 17 minute bus ride and 20 minutes on BART.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:23 AM

2 posts, read 7,851 times
Jade Thanks sooo much for the great pointers! Unfortunately, I don't know the areas super well, but I do like the homes off of Mountain Blvd, Keller, Lakeshore, and Piedmont..so I am thinking that part of 580..I dont think it runs into the 24? Also, what do you think of areas like downtown Oakland?

Coming from San Jose, I am looking for something sunny, safe, and pleasant...I've spent some time in Oakland and it seems to me like the areas mentioned are parts I would like. I will need to look into some of the other parts of Oakland you reccomended. Thanks so much for this!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:04 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Downtown Oakland is hit or miss, some blocks are really seedy, others are really nice. If you're just looking for an apartment I'd mainly look around Lake Merritt though when you go a few blocks south or west of the lake it can get a bit shady. If you want a new condo then there are those scattered around downtown Oakland. Some are on nice blocks like the Grand complex at Broadway and Grand, others are nice buildings but in pretty seedy areas.

The Dimond District would also be good and it's a bit further south so it's that much closer to Pleasanton. Alameda could work too.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:51 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsosavvy View Post
Jade Thanks sooo much for the great pointers! Unfortunately, I don't know the areas super well, but I do like the homes off of Mountain Blvd, Keller, Lakeshore, and Piedmont..so I am thinking that part of 580..I dont think it runs into the 24? Also, what do you think of areas like downtown Oakland?

Coming from San Jose, I am looking for something sunny, safe, and pleasant...I've spent some time in Oakland and it seems to me like the areas mentioned are parts I would like. I will need to look into some of the other parts of Oakland you reccomended. Thanks so much for this!
Mountain is of 13. Keller is by 580 or 13. Not sure if 13 is a little traffic-y in the morning, but you'd be headed in the off direction so it shouldn't make a difference. Keller and Mountain have lots of nice houses, but you'd need to drive to get to anything else. (This may or may not bother you).

Piedmont and Lakeshore are at the north end of things, and off of 580 (unless you are high in the city of Piedmont, then highway 13 is closer). The sunniest weather in Oakland starts around Piedmont Ave and east. These areas are also a touch warmer in the summer than places north (3-5 degrees. Maybe even 7 by the time you get to Fruitvale).

Are you looking for a house, apartment, condo.....the areas you mentioned all have different mixes of each?

Old 02-14-2012, 09:43 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Easy reverse commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland