Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:15 PM

22,064 posts, read 25,429,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Well you have to take a north/south bridge to get there which makes it North. East Bay by definition would be taking a east/west bridge from SF. Simple logistics people.
So you drive all the way up 101 so you can take the north/south Golden Gate Bridge rather than taking the Bay Bridge and then the Carquinez (which would make it 80% East as the Bay Bridge is much longer)? I'm not sure I like your idea of logistics...
When I go to San Jose from San Francisco I don't take any bridge at all. Am I still on the Peninsula then? If were to decide I didn't like the North Bay could I get to San Rafael from San Francisco via the Bay Bridge and driving up to the San Rafael/Richmond bridge? I wouldn't obviously be in the North Bay then, by your logistics anyway, as I clearly did not go across any north/south bridge. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 03:06 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,563,732 times
(707) is North Bay
(510) is East Bay

End of Story.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
(707) is North Bay
(510) is East Bay

End of Story.
So in your mind Crescent City is in the Bay Area while Lamoraga is not. Interesting.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Just wondering what others consider it to be. Technically it is the Northbay, but more often than not I tend to hear people call it the Eastbay. It irks me just a little bit as it is not, but anyways I was just curious to what other people on here think...
solano county is known as the bay area !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-03-2011, 04:57 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,506,062 times
Ah how easy things would be if boundaries would follow neat straight lines on a map.

Most definitions of "East Bay" are Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. Only Fairfield is really disputed but generally is still predominantly considered North Bay.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:37 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,142,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
So you drive all the way up 101 so you can take the north/south Golden Gate Bridge rather than taking the Bay Bridge and then the Carquinez (which would make it 80% East as the Bay Bridge is much longer)? I'm not sure I like your idea of logistics...
When I go to San Jose from San Francisco I don't take any bridge at all. Am I still on the Peninsula then? If were to decide I didn't like the North Bay could I get to San Rafael from San Francisco via the Bay Bridge and driving up to the San Rafael/Richmond bridge? I wouldn't obviously be in the North Bay then, by your logistics anyway, as I clearly did not go across any north/south bridge. Right?
There are 4 areas really. North, south, east, and north east. Notice we always put the word North or south before east or west? Yeah, solano is not East Bay. If I have to pay bridge fair somewhere it is NOT in the same area as I am.. Marin--> Vallejo? Free. Martinez--->Vallejo? $5. San Mateo--> Hayward? Peninsula to East Bay. San Rafael---> Richmond? North Bay to east bay.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
There are 4 areas really. North, south, east, and north east.
And here I thought it was north, south, east, and west

Quote:
Notice we always put the word North or south before east or west? Yeah, solano is not East Bay.
Uh, no. Maybe uninformed people who don't know the difference between North and north do. As for me, I know there is a geographical location called the East North Central United States and another one called the West North Central United States. Those two regions make up the Midwest.

Quote:
If I have to pay bridge fair somewhere it is NOT in the same area as I am.. Marin--> Vallejo? Free. Martinez--->Vallejo? $5. San Mateo--> Hayward? Peninsula to East Bay. San Rafael---> Richmond? North Bay to east bay.
San Francisco --> San Jose? No toll. San Jose is part of the Peninsula. Wrong.
San Jose --> Berkeley? No toll. Berkeley is part of South Bay? Wong. Peninsula? Wrong.

Fact: East Bay and North Bay are whatever the hell you want them to be. The end. To me, Vallejo and Benicia are East Bay. I base that off the culture of the cities. If you want to base it off some tolls rule that makes San Jose part of the Peninsula and Berkeley part of the South Bay despite San Jose being part of the Peninsula, fine. If you want to base it off some area code rule that makes Crescent City part of the North Bay, fine. I think those are stupid ways of defining what North Bay and East Bay are and will continue to stick to my culture litmus test.

And the Peninsula still excludes San Francisco, even though it's what the San Francisco Peninsula is named for. Go figure that one in your rules. Whether San Mateo is Peninsula or South Bay, however, is always an interesting debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland