Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 01:45 PM

16 posts, read 41,540 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My husband works at Travis and we are considering moving closer (from Sacramento) to cut the commute time down. We have two young children and would like to know of any recommended neighborhoods. How is American canyon vs Suisun vs Fairfield? Not sure if we'll rent- if we buy then no more than 150000.

How are malls, things to do, biking in the area?

I heard Fairfield and Vallejo arent as safe?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 02:52 PM

16 posts, read 41,540 times
Also, how is the weather?

Old 07-30-2011, 07:36 AM

15 posts, read 48,546 times
I know parts of Fairfield are not great to live in, but what parts, I'm not sure. Vacaville, American Canyon and Suisun would definitely be closer. You could also look into Woodland. Sorry I'm not more helpful but I don't know anyone in Fairfield.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:09 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,994,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesswife View Post
I know parts of Fairfield are not great to live in, but what parts, I'm not sure. Vacaville, American Canyon and Suisun would definitely be closer. You could also look into Woodland. Sorry I'm not more helpful but I don't know anyone in Fairfield.
The area on the Eastern side of the freeway, across the mall would generally be the area to avoid. Western and North Fairfield are fine. There are pockets of not so nice neighborhoods scattered throughout the city. The area out near Solano Community College is gorgeous (called Green Valley).

Suisun has come along a lot int he past decade--they'd revived their downtown area and is quite nice now with restaurants etc (it used to have the ghetto reputation long ago). I recently read a favorable article about it...Kellogg and Main streets, Suisun City

I would suggest searching for "Parti Rhinoceros's" posts--he's very knowledgeable and helpful on the area and has given very good specifics for others in your situation.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:31 AM

457 posts, read 1,183,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamavisca View Post
Hi all! My husband works at Travis and we are considering moving closer (from Sacramento) to cut the commute time down. We have two young children and would like to know of any recommended neighborhoods. How is American canyon vs Suisun vs Fairfield? Not sure if we'll rent- if we buy then no more than 150000.

How are malls, things to do, biking in the area?

I heard Fairfield and Vallejo arent as safe?

Thanks!
Weather is pretty much the same for anything on the Sacramento side of the hills. Fairfield was always windy in my opinion. That's where the delta breeze comes over the hills at. American Canyon however is on the other side and will be usually 5-10* cooler in summer and mostly same in winter.

Fairfield has a mall. Fairfield has Rockridge (I think it's called that) for mountain biking/hiking. I am sure there has to be more. I haven't been to fairfield for quite a few years to see how safe/unsafe it looks/feels.

It sounds like you're looking for Davis in reality. Try seeing if anything works out for you there.

Vallejo is having a lot of problems due to their city's financial disaster.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:14 PM

69 posts, read 159,570 times
I would go with Vacaville. All the air force guys I know live in Vacaville only a short drive to base. Vacaville of course has the Outlets and plenty of restaurants. It gets hot out there, but I think it's about the same as Sacramento, maybe a little nicer.

I've been to Suisun City a few times and it is a cute place, but I don't know anybody who lives there. Most agree that Fairfield is to avoid, but like the other poster said, there are areas that are fine. I think American Canyon is right next to Vallejo, so if you're looking for a closer place, I would stick with Vacaville. Oh, and my ex-boyfriend who used to live there was in a really nice apartment complex that was next to a popular biking/running trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland