Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 02:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,064 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

I will be moving to SF shortly and am not sure where I should live. I would really like to be within a close proximity to my job, which is in the Federal building near the Civic Center. I would love to be able to walk to the gym in the morning, walk to work after that, and also have some nice nightlife within walking distance. But, it is looking like that may not be possible. So, if need be, I would compromise by living somewhere that would allow me to walk to the gym and have some nice nightlife, but required me to take a short train/bus ride to get to work. Oh ya, and a Whole Foods within walking distance would also be amazing. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks again,

Sammi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 09:52 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,091,886 times
Hayes Valley is just west of Van Ness near Market and would be walking distance from Civic Center. It's a nice area, not a ton of nightlife but there are some decent restaurants and it's centrally located in the city. No grocery stores in the neighborhood though but Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Safeway are just a short bus or light rail ride away.

Lower Pacific Heights is north of Hayes Valley and is a really nice area, might be too expensive though. There is a Whole Foods at California and Van Ness which I used to go to all the time when I lived in Hayes Valley until recently.

The Duboce Park/Mission/Noe Valley area is just southwest of Civic Center and would be a very short light rail ride to Civic Center. It's a very nice area so long as you stay west of Valencia and Mission St., and it gets sunnier than the rest of the city. Lots of independent shops and restaurants and bars. No Whole Foods but there is Bi-Rite at 18th between Dolores and Guerrero.

Nob Hill is just north of Civic Center but I'm not as familiar with it.

Those are the nice areas that are close to Civic Center. You could also live in Glen Park which would be about a 10 minute BART ride from Civic Center, it has a cute little shopping strip area near the BART station. It kind of depends on your budget too, Lower Pac Hts and Nob Hill and Noe Valley will be more expensive while Hayes Valley and the Mission area will be cheaper.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:44 AM

29 posts, read 124,754 times
I agree that Lower Pac Heights or Hayes Valley are good bets. The area around Whole Foods (California & Franklin) is one of my favorite neighborhoods. You are in walking distance to fitness centers, the movie theater and Polk Street, where there is lots of nightlife. Plus Van Ness has 2 bus lines which provides easy access to other neighborhoods.

In general, streets south of Sutter are grittier (though not necessarily unsafe) and streets north of Sutter gets more expensive. What is your budget?

Old 08-31-2010, 12:51 PM

3,250 posts, read 6,317,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi.fiorillo View Post

I will be moving to SF shortly and am not sure where I should live. I would really like to be within a close proximity to my job, which is in the Federal building near the Civic Center. I would love to be able to walk to the gym in the morning, walk to work after that, and also have some nice nightlife within walking distance.

Since walking to the gym is important,what kind of gym are you looking for? There are serious lifting gyms like World Gym or Valencia Street Muscle,luxury gyms like Equinox,overcrowded franchises like 24 Hr. Fitness or small neighborhood gyms like Cole Valley Fitness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland